!!!!!WITH THE 167TH PICK THE BENGALS SELECT SAFETY GEORGE ILOKA!!!!!

[b] Overall Football Traits[/b]

Production 2
"2008: (13/5) -- 62--6--4 2009: (14/14) --48--5--1 2010: (13/13) - 63--5--2 2010: (13/13) -- 58-1-0 (3 TFL, 1 FF)"

Height-Weight-Speed 3
"Built like an outside linebacker and has long arms (33 7/8) and big hands (9 5/8). Extremely high cut and long limbed, which can work against him in space. Top-end speed is average at best. Surprisingly tested well with agility drills at Combine; 4.03 short-shuttle and 7.02 three cone."

Durability 2
"Did not miss a game during four seasons at Boise State. Battled through nagging injuries throughout the 2009 season, including turf toe, as well as foot and ankle injuries. "

Intangibles 2
Pronounced: 'eye-LOKE-uh.' Accountable and handles business both on and off the field. Graduated from high school early to enroll in the program.

[b]1[/b] = Exceptional[b]2[/b] = Above average[b]3[/b] = Average[b]4[/b] = Below average[b]5[/b] = Marginal

[b] Safety Specific Traits[/b]

Instincts/Recognition 3
Possesses adequate diagnostic skills. Does a nice job of playing with discipline in coverage and maintaining strong position when aligned in zone. Reads QB eyes well and flashes good route-recognition and anticipation to get a quick break on the ball. But comes up short in terms of playmaking instincts. Does not have a great nose for the ball and is missing ball-hawk gene.

Cover Skills 2
Very quick feet. Actually flips his hips well for a 6035 safety and is an above average athlete. H as long strides and can cover a fair amount of pasture when aligned as a center fielder. At his best when breaking forward to make play on the ball. Has the size to match up well versus TEs but will get pushed around too much and needs to be more physical. Will have limitations if locked up in man coverage with slot WRs at the next level.

Ball Skills 4
"Generally takes sound angles to the point and is aggressive attacking the ball. Has long arms to separate the ball from the receiver and very good leaping ability to challenge the jump ball. But seems to come up short too often and is not a big playmaker (3 INTs last three years on a great defense). Hands are solid enough to make the routine INT but he lacks good body control to adjust, and he's not going to make many spectacular plays on the ball. "

Run Support 3
Diagnoses run quickly. Fills quickly and has good range versus run. Does a nice job of using hands to disengage from blocks. Has an LB body but the physicality of a free safety. A bit of a narrow based player. Has better upper-body power than lower-body strength. And the biggest issue is he misses too many tackles. Takes far too many poor angles and comes in hot far too often. Also will leave feet too often. Needs to learn to play under control and how to consistently break down in space.

[b]1[/b] = Exceptional[b]2[/b] = Above average[b]3[/b] = Average[b]4[/b] = Below average[b]5[/b] = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28605

Scouts Inc has Iloka ranked #118 overall and #6 at his position.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335642359' post='1126226']
great value pick, not sure how he makes the team though unless he beats out sands. Could beat out miles, but miles is the special teams captain.
[/quote]

So was Hebert when he got beat out.. Its a young man's position, teams captain.

I feel like all our safetys except Nelson are the same now, Iloka, Sands and Mays all very physical and athletic, just big liabilitys in coverage and zero ball skills. I hope they continue to get better and improve in those areas.

All the talking heads absolutely loving our draft. Great value everywhere.

[b] Overview[/b]

Iloka has been a very productive player for Boise State and has been a factor for the Broncos since arriving in 2008. He is a superb zone defender who understands how to diagnose and react to plays. He is the quarterback of the secondary and has length to make plays and the speed to give him range in zone. He should be a backup and contribute early on, and he carries third-round value.

[b] Analysis[/b]

[b] Strengths[/b]

Iloka can diagnose a play and be in position in zone. He aligns very deep but has the speed to react and get involved when he needs to. He takes off once he makes a decision. He has good body control to break down and tackle or leap to make a play on the ball. He is reliable at making the interception when in front of it and comes down hard to meet running backs in run support.

[b] Weaknesses[/b]

Iloka can struggle when having to mirror in man. He doesn't give up deep plays because he plays so far back, but this could also be considered a knock on him because he likely will have to align closer to the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/george-iloka?id=2532869

[B]George Iloka S Boise St [/B]

TALENT BOARD
[B]Round 1[/B]

[B]STRENGTHS[/B]
George is one of the better cover safeties in this draft. He has good size and speed as well as an excellent burst to the ball. He has those long arms and legs that make it easy for him to cover a lot of ground and recover if he gets beat. George is smart and shows good leadership skills. He can play up in the box and has the speed to play as a single free safety. George is more of a drag down tackler, but will come up quickly to support the run. He is fearless, has great instincts and football intelligence beyond his years. George will be able to cover those pass catching tight ends that are ripping up the NFL right now. He has the quickness to move to cornerback in the red zone and I believe in the middle of the field would be an excellent zone cover cornerback. You can't lose drafting a player like George and adding him to your backfield. He is a winner.

[B]CONCERNS[/B]
George needs to add more bulk to handle being an "in the box" safety and I'm not convinced he has the body type to do that. He also needs to learn how to shed blocks better. He is a solid tackler right now; however, he needs to play more under control when he goes to the line of scrimmage to make a tackle. The scouts call this "breaking down" better to make a tackle. For the next level, I think George is more of a free safety than a strong safety and if he doesn't learn to play under control when he makes a tackle, injuries will become a big problem for him.

[B]BOTTOM LINE[/B]
This kid is a hell of a football player. He has good size, speed and quickness to go along with leadership skills and football intelligence. Seriously, what more do you want? He needs to slow himself down a little when he attacks the line of scrimmage to protect himself from injury and to stay on the field, but is that really a big problem? I don't think so. He is going to play in the Senior Bowl and I think after that he will move up the boards very quickly. Will he make it into the first round? Your guess is as good as mine. That's why we use the two board system. To show you that there is talent in every round and because of needs and politics of the draft, some players get lost and are drafted in rounds that maybe their talent suggests otherwise. No matter what round you draft George in, he will play right away, become a leader for your coaching staff on the field and make impact plays. -Drew Boylhart

Bengals selected Boise State S George Iloka with the No. 167 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft.

Considered a day-two prospect in some circles, Iloka is a true center-field safety, though he'll likely be asked to play closer to the line of scrimmage than he did at Boise. A long and lean 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, Iloka also has unusually long 34.5 inch arms. He'll be limited to special teams as a rookie, but is a high-upside pick.

George Iloka to Bengals: [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1140762-george-iloka-to-bengals-video-highlights-scouting-report-and-analysis?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_cincybengals&utm_source=twitter.com"]Video Highlights, Scouting Report and Analysis[/URL]

[list]
[*]

[*]
[url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28605"]George Iloka[/url]
Boise State
[*]
S
[*]

[url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/teams/_/team/cin/year/2012"]Cincinnati[/url]
[*]
from Giants
[/list][list]
[*]
[b]What he brings:[/b] Iloka has great size and length, providing him with good range in the back end. However, he needs to improve in terms of angles and breaking down to become a more consistent
[/list]

[quote name='wkuredbengal34' timestamp='1335642543' post='1126240']
I feel like all our safetys except Nelson are the same now, Iloka, Sands and Mays all very physical and athletic, just big liabilitys in coverage and zero ball skills. I hope they continue to get better and improve in those areas.

All the talking heads absolutely loving our draft. Great value everywhere.
[/quote]

There seem to be differing evaluations of Iloka as far as his coverage ability. I've heard some say with his height, he'll struggle. But I've also heard some say that he looked very good playing CB for Boise in some games this year and could end up being an above average coverage Safety.

As far as the numbers, the Bengals simply weren't going to go to camp with only 4 Safeties. They want to have competition at every position and they want to have some depth to weather the inevitable injuries. Plus, its not like Miles and Sands are proven quantities that shouldn't have to compete and earn positions at this point in their careers.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1335644980' post='1126311']

There seem to be differing evaluations of Iloka as far as his coverage ability. I've heard some say with his height, he'll struggle. But I've also heard some say that he looked very good playing CB for Boise in some games this year and could end up being an above average coverage Safety.

As far as the numbers, the Bengals simply weren't going to go to camp with only 4 Safeties. They want to have competition at every position and they want to have some depth to weather the inevitable injuries. Plus, its not like Miles and Sands are proven quantities that shouldn't have to compete and earn positions at this point in their careers.
[/quote]

wonder if some evaluators are knocking him for his coverage as a corner when he was really a true safety playing corner.

[b]32 (167) Cincinnati Bengals (from New York Giants): [/b][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]FS George Iloka, Boise State[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]The Bengals have stuck to their height-weight-speed approach, selecting a prospect who looks better in person than he did on tape. Looked stiff at the Combine, missed too many tackles in space and did not make a lot of plays on the ball.[/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://cache.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/28/pick-by-pick-analysis-round-five-2"]http://cache.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/28/pick-by-pick-analysis-round-five-2[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335657684' post='1126578']
[b]32 (167) Cincinnati Bengals (from New York Giants): [/b][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]FS George Iloka, Boise State[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]The Bengals have stuck to their height-weight-speed approach, selecting a prospect who looks better in person than he did on tape. Looked stiff at the Combine, missed too many tackles in space and did not make a lot of plays on the ball.[/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://cache.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/28/pick-by-pick-analysis-round-five-2"]http://cache.profoot...is-round-five-2[/url]
[/quote]
Yep. He was my most questionable pick. Don't see how he upgrades and I really didnt see anything in the clips I've seen.

Archived