!!!!!WITH THE 191ST PICK THE BENGALS SELECT Dan "Boom" Herron!!!!!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335752194' post='1127392']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKgPDlVngUM&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

I saw great blocking...and Herron did a great job of following those blockers.

[quote name='Cricket' timestamp='1336188021' post='1128956']
I saw great blocking...and Herron did a great job of following those blockers.
[/quote]
Wow. The difference in blocking on that team between his 2010 and 2011 clips is insane! What happened?

[b] [url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2012/05/08/herron_ready_to_reward_bengals.html"]Herron ready to reward Bengals’ faith in him[/url][/b]

By [url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2012/05/08/herron_ready_to_reward_bengals.html#postcomment"]Carlos "Big C" Holmes[/url] | Tuesday, May 8, 2012, 09:11 PM

When Cincinnati selected Ohio State running back Dan “Boom” Herron in the sixth round of the draft, it raised some eyebrows. Many fans were expecting the Bengals to draft a quicker, more explosive scatback-type runner to complement their feature back. Herron is a one-cut, downhill runner much like departed starter Cedric Benson.

But I think Herron could be a late-round steal based on his production in college. Although he was overlooked, he’s an ideal fit for the team’s run scheme.

The running back dropped in the draft because teams were more focused on his 40-time (4.6) at the combine and not enough on game speed or production. Then there was the six-game suspension for violation of NCAA rules, which may have scared some teams off.

Herron had to overcome some adversity his senior year due to the sports memorabilia scandal he was involved in that rocked Buckeye Nation and landed the program on probation.

“It was a lesson I definitely learned,” Herron told Big C on Tuesday. “It was tough missing six games, but obviously I made a mistake at a young age and it came back to haunt me my last year. I actually learned so much from that situation. I feel like it has made me a better person and football player. Now before I make any decision I think twice. I think that situation will help me in life.”

Herron could have easily blazed a trail for the NFL after his junior season when he rushed for 1,155 yards and 16 touchdowns. He most likely would have been an early-round pick in the 2011 draft.

But the running back returned to O-State for his senior year and accepted the six-game suspension. Herron understood the unwanted attention he brought not only to the university but himself, and wanted to face it head on.

“I knew I did something wrong and I wasn’t going to up and leave the school like that,” he said. “I had the opportunity to turn pro but knew I made a mistake. I wanted to show I was man enough to stay there and take my punishment. I’m happy I stayed and I’m a better person for it.”

Despite the player’s lapse in judgment that led to his suspension, teammate never questioned his character. Herron was elected team captain by his teammates for the 2011 season after playing in only seven games. I was told by one former Buckeye teammate he is the type of guy you root for.

The 5-foot-10, 210-pound Herron is a good all-around back and gritty in short-yard situations. Herron may not have elite speed, but he does have the ability to break long runs. One of his longest runs was an 89-yard scamper off left tackle against Michigan. He’s a great between-the-tackles runner with good vision to find the cutback lanes. He also shows a willingness to block, picking up the blitz.

The Bengals will hold a three-day rookie minicamp beginning Friday, May 11. Herron appeared excited and ready to compete during our conversation.
“I’m honored the Bengals made me their sixth-round pick,” he said. “Being an Ohio kid and having the opportunity to play in my home state means a lot to me and my family. I’m thrilled and ready to get to Cincinnati and get to work.”

Interesting thing is that Herron may not have breakaway speed but he plays faster than his 4.6 time for sure, also look at some of these stats from the combine.

[b]20 Yard Shuttle: 4.04 (2nd)[/b]
Chris Rainey was best at 3.93, but next best after Herron was 4.12. This tells me he has excellent agility in tight areas which when combined with his excellent vision will give him a good yards per carry for the most part.

[b]10 Yard Split (on 40 Yard Dash): 1.5 (Tied 1st)[/b]
On most plays a runningback will get 5-10 yard carries at best during a game, so this is probably an equally good measurement of a players speed over the 40 yard dash as a whole. Herron's 10 yard split was tied best with Lamar Miller and Isaiah Pead at the combine, and was better than other more notable backs like Doug Martin and David Wilson. This tells me that even though Herron may not look explosive his impact in the hole is unrivaled by other backs and that initial burst will help him get to the second level potentially alot easier. And even though he doesn't have breakaway speed from the 2nd level onwards, it's getting there that is the most important part, especially against the much tougher pro calibre defenses.

[b]Conclusion:[/b]
Even though he lacks explosion to the naked eye and breakaway speed, this is offset by his vision to hit the hole with excellent burst and use his short area agility to get to the 2nd level quicker than alot of the more reputatable backs in this draft. This explains why he's been so effective in college without winning any of the "style" points like Wilson, Lamar Miller etc. Also, take into account that Ohio State's porous offensive line this year really made him look terrible at times. The Bengals should have a MUCH better offensive line this year and will help him look like the back we know he can be. I was championing Bernard Scott keeping his place up to this point but if he doesn't start to show better blocking and pass catching then he could be ousted by this guy.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1336235074' post='1129050']
Wow. The difference in blocking on that team between his 2010 and 2011 clips is insane! What happened?
[/quote]

Alot happened. The 2011 OSU team was a shell of the 2010 team, they lost their HC, starting QB, and their best OL, WR, RB for the first 5 games of the season. I think the players weren't 100% committed because of all of the bs that was going on in Columbus last year.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='#22' timestamp='1335790859' post='1127452']
I know I have a record of being an OSU hater, but I'm not sure that any of the running-backs on the roster should be too worried. I think Benjarvus is safe, Scott (who I think sucks) is the quick/fast guy, and Leonard is a proven NFL gamer. Peerman vs. Herron could be a thing, but why would they even keep 3 backs to start the season?

I didn't watch the Illinois video (because Illinois sucks), but in the highlights and Wisconsin, I saw a guy who:
-Runs well through gaps
-Runs well behind blockers
-Makes too many cuts (which I think several people have pointed out)
-Goes down at first contact most of the time (Michigan hasn't been able to tackle for shit for a while)
-Can make some good catches out of the backfield

He's already slower than Rudi Johnson, Peyton Hillis, Brandon Jacobs, (way slower than) Brian Leonard, and he's at least 30 pounds lighter than a Fullback should be.
Maybe he contributes on teams or on the practice squad, but I'm not too optimistic about the pick.
[/quote]But then,you don't know shit,do you?

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1340582260' post='1136573']
But then,you don't know shit,do you?
[/quote]
[img]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/136/350/Hater.gif[/img]
Did you other dipshits realize that Bill fucking Polian trolled around on Bengals message boards?
I'll tell you what, slick. If he's on the team this time next year, I'll buy you a coke.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1340582260' post='1136573']
But then,you don't know shit,do you?
[/quote]

Why would you post this? If the dude was standing right in front of you, there's no way you would say that, and if you did, you'd probably lose a lot of respect from everyone who witnessed it. It just makes you look terribly disrespectful. Do you realize that?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1340626814' post='1136612']
Why would you post this? If the dude was standing right in front of you, there's no way you would say that, and if you did, you'd probably lose a lot of respect from everyone who witnessed it. It just makes you look terribly disrespectful. Do you realize that?
[/quote]

I doubt he cares much about the respect, but I bet he'd get his ass beat.

Archived