!!!!!WITH THE 191ST PICK THE BENGALS SELECT Dan "Boom" Herron!!!!!

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1335667124' post='1126842']

I did not mean to imply it was all from this board. Most of it comes from the people I BS with at tailgates or sit next to at the games. Basically it was rattling someones cage but no reply so far. As for bringing them up in the thread together, both are running backs, both went to schools in Ohio, Pead had 27 career TDs (in the Big East) while Herron had 32 (in the Big Ten), Both were born in Ohio in 1989, Pead and Herron were interviewed together at the Senior Bowl ( [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWc5c_infU[/media] ), etc... Usually anything Ohio based or born stirs up a little conversation for better or worse we all usually end up learning a little more than had we not attempted to stir.
[/quote]

That's cool. I know a ton of UC fans who annoy me with their obsession and hatred with anything to do with OSU. I just didn't see it much here. Now there are those who do love to bash on OSU here but I don't think many are UC fans. I know I never bash on OSU and I for one would love for Herron to beat out BScott. Because at the moment I don't have a lot of faith in him. But whomever wins, and I really don't care which one but we need alot more out of that #2 RB position.

Ok so listening to non Ohio fans. I come away with Boom sucks and shouldn't have even been drafted. And listening to Ohio homers he's a second rounder who got a bad rap. All I know is, right now he's a Bengal and if he makes the roster, I don't care if hes on teams or starting, I'll root for him. I always want to see rookies flash.

My thoughts on Boom.

No, he's not very big, or very fast.
But he has good balance, vision and toughness, and changes direction well.
OSU hasn't had a good offensive line in a long time, but he still managed to average 4.9 yards a carry. And it seemed like when they needed a yard, more often than not he got it.

Will he be a great back? Probably not. But he will be better than his measurables would make you think.

It's so obvious that a lot of people just have a hatred for Ohio State here. They're taking players in the 5th round I've never heard of, and i'm sure a lot of people here haven't either and every post is YES! OMG GREAT PICK! WOW, WHAT A PICK! Then Boom gets picked in the 6th round and he's only liked by certain people because he went to Ohio State, and a 6th round pick won't amount to anything, yet everyone loves the undrafted linebacker they picked up from AZ St. I'm not saying I don't like the picks after what i've heard about them too, but I think its comical to watch some people who clearly just have a hatred for Ohio State, and probably didn't even watch Boom play behind a poor offensive line. He runs hard. I would've preferred Lamar Miller or Lamichael James to compliment BJGE but since they didnt get that, i'm glad they got Boom, he's a solid football player. I remember when Bernard Scott was the 2nd coming around here when he was drafted late, and he's still considered good by a lot of people even though he hasn't really done anything since he's been here.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1335709188' post='1126994']
My thoughts on Boom.

No, he's not very big, or very fast.
But he has good balance, vision and toughness, and changes direction well.
OSU hasn't had a good offensive line in a long time, but he still managed to average 4.9 yards a carry. And it seemed like when they needed a yard, more often than not he got it.

Will he be a great back? Probably not. But he will be better than his measurables would make you think.
[/quote]

still predict that with Marvin clearly wanted to get more physical as a football team, Herron ends up beating out Scott for the backup job (provided his nagging injury history stays away). Boom is more physical and IMO just as fast. Maybe most importantly, he's five years younger.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335710300' post='1127002']

still predict that with Marvin clearly wanted to get more physical as a football team, Herron ends up beating out Scott for the backup job (provided his nagging injury history stays away). Boom is more physical and IMO just as fast. Maybe most importantly, he's five years younger.
[/quote]

Could happen, although I think Peerman is the one with the most to fear. But B Scott hardly showed more than Ced last year, and he's about to run out of excuses for it. I like the guy, but it is time to show your stuff now.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1335714224' post='1127034']

Could happen, although I think Peerman is the one with the most to fear. But B Scott hardly showed more than Ced last year, and he's about to run out of excuses for it. I like the guy, but it is time to show your stuff now.
[/quote]

I just think they highly value what Peerman does on special teams. He's been one of their top special teamers the last 2 years despite not playing a down on offense.

Scott on the other hand is 28yrs old and hasn't lived up to what they hoped so far. If they want to get younger and more physical at the position, I think Scott is the one that goes.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335714486' post='1127037']

I just think they highly value what Peerman does on special teams. He's been one of their top special teamers the last 2 years despite not playing a down on offense.

Scott on the other hand is 28yrs old and hasn't lived up to what they hoped so far. If they want to get younger and more physical at the position, I think Scott is the one that goes.
[/quote]

I agree Re: Scott, at the same time if I had to prognosticate, I dont think Boom makes the team, and think Scott sticks.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1335714781' post='1127047']

I agree Re: Scott, at the same time if I had to prognosticate, I dont think Boom makes the team, and think Scott sticks.
[/quote]

oh I definitely don't think its a slam dunk. I think if its close at all they'll keep scott and hide herron on the practice squad in case of injury.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335714486' post='1127037']

[/quote]

I think they value it, but the valued what Hebert did there too right up until he got cut. If Herron can't beat Peerman htere he gets PSed, or cut. We don't have too many career STers with no upside to them.

I'm sure they aren't thrilled with B Scott but how much they think it is him and how much was the line. I'd have thought that they would have been more proactive in FA or draft in getting a RB if they knew Scott was a loss.

Is Herron's game like B Scott or is he a thumper like BJGE?

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1335714897' post='1127051']

I think they value it, but the valued what Hebert did there too right up until he got cut. If Herron can't beat Peerman htere he gets PSed, or cut. We don't have too many career STers with no upside to them.

I'm sure they aren't thrilled with B Scott but how much they think it is him and how much was the line. I'd have thought that they would have been more proactive in FA or draft in getting a RB if they knew Scott was a loss.

[/quote]

Hebert was also 29 and they wanted to get younger at safety...

Peerman is 25.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1335714897' post='1127051']

[/quote]

I'd say Herron is more BJGE than B. Scott. Probably a good mix of the two.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335714868' post='1127049']

oh I definitely don't think its a slam dunk. I think if its close at all they'll keep scott and hide herron on the practice squad in case of injury.
[/quote]

agree, I think he's a PS guy

I mean what is Scott? He's not a speed guy. E really isn't that fast. Id say he's slightly faster than Ced, if that. Leonard is definitely faster than him, and showed it last season. I say we keep the most physical, angry running backs and tell passive 28 yr olds that have showed NOTHING their whole career to go home

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1335715678' post='1127073']
I mean what is Scott? He's not a speed guy. E really isn't that fast. Id say he's slightly faster than Ced, if that. Leonard is definitely faster than him, and showed it last season. I say we keep the most physical, angry running backs and tell passive 28 yr olds that have showed NOTHING their whole career to go home
[/quote]

I think he is decent in the open field, where he can be shifty and make moves on guys, but thats about it.

I'm not saying that I expect big things out of him, but I think Boom's a lot better than people think he is...as a Jr he ran for almost 1200 yrds at 5.3 yards a pop and scored 16 td's on a team with a pretty piss poor o'line...it would've been interesting to see where he would've been drafted if the whole tattoogate incident didn't happen and they all would've gotten to play their final year together. I don't know where he would've ended up, but I guarantee it would've been a lot earlier than the 6th rd.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1335754161' post='1127403']
I'm not saying that I expect big things out of him, but I think Boom's a lot better than people think he is...as a Jr he ran for almost 1200 yrds at 5.3 yards a pop and scored 16 td's on a team with a pretty piss poor o'line...it would've been interesting to see where he would've been drafted if the whole tattoogate incident didn't happen and they all would've gotten to play their final year together. I don't know where he would've ended up, but I guarantee it would've been a lot earlier than the 6th rd.
[/quote]

Boom the only player I thought seemed truly remorseful for what happened, and grateful for fans embracing him and welcoming him back. Teammates loved him, and he seemed like a good guy that just got tied up in a bad situation. Posey,Adams, Pryor etc. on the other hand, didn't seem remorseful at all imo, in fact Posey had another incident costing him another 5 games, I was shocked when he was drafted so early. I agree with you about Boom, he's a solid football player for the 6th round, and I'm not concerned about any type of character issue with him at all.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335752194' post='1127392']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKgPDlVngUM&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKgPDlVngUM&feature=player_embedded[/url]
[/quote]
The more I watch this guy, the more I like him. This could be a very astute pick if he plays to his abilities. Once again, he reminds me of a smaller version of Bernard Pierce in the way he runs with power and shows excellent vision, but with better hands.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335666557' post='1126830']

yea if herron wins a spot, it will be scott's.
[/quote]

Can't see him taking Scott's spot. While, I'm not a huge fan, Brenard is the closest thing to a speed or change of pace back we have. Speed is definitely not one of Herron's strong suits. If he takes a slot, it will be Peerman's and he will have to outshine Cedric on special teams (Peerman's strong suit). I'm willing to wait and see.

As for the Buckeye's new duds though? Hideous. OSU has always had a classic looking uni, but those abominations they're wearing in the Wisconsin highlights blow. Whoever designed them should be ass-raped, stabbed, shot and then hung.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1335778159' post='1127427']
The more I watch this guy, the more I like him. This could be a very astute pick if he plays to his abilities. Once again, he reminds me of a smaller version of Bernard Pierce in the way he runs with power and shows excellent vision, but with better hands.
[/quote]

yea, IMO Herron is similar to Doug Martin, but not as good. If Martin is a 10, Herron is say a 7. Not quite as fast, not quite as strong, and not quite as good of a receiver.

IMO though, Herron has some of the best vision of any of the RB's in the draft. [s]Herron also had the 2nd best 3cone drill (ie cutting ability) at the combine for running backs. In fact, he had the 5th best 3cone drill at the combine for all RB's and WR's combined. Toss in cornerbacks as well and it was 13th best.[/s]

Edit: Sorry, mixed up my stats. The striked out part was actually for 20yd shuttle, not 3cone drill. His 3 cone drill was 6th best for RB's.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1335780813' post='1127428']
As for the Buckeye's new duds though? Hideous. OSU has always had a classic looking uni, but those abominations they're wearing in the Wisconsin highlights blow. Whoever designed them should be ass-raped, stabbed, shot and then hung.
[/quote]

just fyi, those were throwback uni's

Those 2010 highlights show me that he doesn't have super quick feet like you'd want but that is kind of offset by his ability to run through you (you see it sometimes there)/ He has a good mix of power and agility but neither are super impressive. Long speed looks adequate, and I know it was a short highlight reel, but his hands looked natural as well. We need to bring in someone that can catch on the run and just go forward since we missed on all the playmakers in the draft. Herron looks like he can do that with a little shake and bake every once in a while. If he can catch effortlessly, the guy might make the squad... unless BJGE can catch better than I assume.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335787961' post='1127439']

yea, IMO Herron is similar to Doug Martin, but not as good. If Martin is a 10, Herron is say a 7. Not quite as fast, not quite as strong, and not quite as good of a receiver.

IMO though, Herron has some of the[b] best vision[/b] of any of the RB's in the draft. Herron also had the 2nd best 3cone drill (ie cutting ability) at the combine for running backs. In fact, he had the 5th best 3cone drill at the combine for all RB's and WR's combined. Toss in cornerbacks as well and it was 13th best.
[/quote]

And I missed this but noticed it too. He knows which way to juke. I liked the vision out there... x10000 better than Benson.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1335780813' post='1127428']

Can't see him taking Scott's spot. While, I'm not a huge fan, Brenard is the closest thing to a speed or change of pace back we have. Speed is definitely not one of Herron's strong suits. If he takes a slot, it will be Peerman's and he will have to outshine Cedric on special teams (Peerman's strong suit). I'm willing to wait and see.

[/quote]

as someone else mentioned, they were throwback jerseys commemorating I think one of the teams from the 40's. Not the regular uni.

As for Herron vs Scott, IMO Scott's not any faster than Herron, and Herron is a better cutter. Probably most importantly, Herron is 5yrs younger. I think its overlooked that Scott is nearing 30.

Archived