Ex-UC QB Tony Pike Grateful For Bengals Opportunity

[size=6][b]Pike Grateful For Bengals Opportunity[/b][/size]
Posted by Dan Hoard on May 2, 2012 – 6:46 pm

On Wednesday, the Bengals announced that Pike is among the unsigned players who will attend the team’s May 11-13 minicamp on a tryout basis. After spending the 2010 season as a backup with the Carolina Panthers, the 26-year-old quarterback missed all of last year after having elbow surgery.

“I’ve been back in Cincinnati rehabbing for a long time and the Bengals reached out to my agent with some questions about my health and when I was going to get back to 100%,” said Pike. “After that, it was just a matter of me getting healthy and the timing being right for the mini-camp. It’s an unbelievable opportunity. Growing up in Cincinnati and being a Bengals fan, it’s been a life-long dream to be a Bengal. For them to give me that opportunity to come into mini-camp and see what I can do means a lot.”

After leading the UC Bearcats to a perfect regular season and trip to the Sugar Bowl as a senior, Pike was selected by Carolina in the 6th round of the 2010 draft. Tony appeared in one regular season game as a rookie, going 6-for-12 for 47 yards in a loss to New Orleans.

But last July, Pike needed surgery to fix a nerve injury in his right elbow. When the first procedure didn’t correct the problem, the former Bearcat had a more extensive operation eight weeks ago.

“On the second surgery, they cut the muscle in my forearm and they tucked the nerve underneath the muscle,” said Pike. “Then they sewed the muscle back together to protect that nerve from moving around. It was a more painful procedure, but with my history at UC, it’s nothing that I haven’t been through before. The end result was a lot better than the first procedure, so I’m really happy.

“I saw (Cincinnati Reds) Dr. Kremchek here in Cincinnati and he said he does this surgery every year on pitchers here. He told me it’s something that pitchers come back stronger from and that’s how I feel right now.”

Pike broke his left arm in his junior and senior years at UC, but bounced back quickly to lead the Bearcats to back-to-back Big East Championships. Tony says that he has completely recovered from his elbow injury and is ready to show the Bengals the powerful arm that tossed 29 touchdown passes and only 6 interceptions in his final college season.

“I feel great,” Pike told me. “My strength and accuracy are back. That was the biggest thing with the elbow – the nerve was causing my accuracy to go down a little bit, so with that being back, I feel great about my chance here.

“The frustrating thing about the nerve surgery was that we couldn’t really give teams a timetable for when I would be healthy. The Bengals rookie mini-camp fell at just about the right time. I just saw the doctor (Wednesday) to get cleared. I’ve been throwing a lot and staying in shape. I’ve actually been going over to Elder a little bit to throw to my brother and some of those receivers. So, it’s been a long process and a slow process, but it’s all coming together at just the right time.”

Pike might seem like a longshot to make the Bengals roster, but keep in mind that he began the 2008 season as the fifth-string quarterback at UC before becoming the starting QB and leading the team to the Orange Bowl.

All he needed was a chance.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2012/05/02/pike-greatful-for-bengals-opportunity/

Gradkowski is currently on the roster and last year we kept 2 QBs, right?

1) can the kid beat out Gradkowski?
2) would we cut Gradkowski in the first place?
3) would we put a 3rd QB on the roster?
4) did we keep a QB on the PS last year?

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1336053133' post='1128463']
Gradkowski is currently on the roster and last year we kept 2 QBs, right?

1) can the kid beat out Gradkowski?
2) would we cut Gradkowski in the first place?
3) would we put a 3rd QB on the roster?
4) did we keep a QB on the PS last year?
[/quote]

4) yes we did.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1336052407' post='1128460']
Good move all around. I like to see the Bengals being active in trying to improve the team.
[/quote]

And I like them reaching out to the local kids. He may not have a shot here, but giving the guy a chance to show other teams he has something to offer is really solid.

Pike has all the physical tools. Good enough arm, very good accuracy. Mildly mobile. It will be a matter of if he can pick up the offense well.

Decent camp battle between Robinson, Pike (if he's signed) and to a lesser extent Hansen for the practice squad QB spot.

None of them will beat out Gradkowksi this year.

The Bengals won't carry 3 QBs on the active roster. There will be one on the practice squad. This is Zac Robinson's final year of eligibility for the PS. It's also Gradkowski's contract year. If Dalton progresses, then we probably don't need a vet backup QB in 2013 but I expect Grad will be the backup in 2012. I think the Bengals hope is to keep Grad this year then move Robinson to the active roster next year if he plays well enough to justify it.

Did he sign or just try out so far? I'm indifferent except that my 8-year old's eyes lit up when I told him Pike was trying out. That would make it a plus. Until I have to tell him he was cut.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1336061711' post='1128541']
Did he sign or just try out so far? I'm indifferent except that my 8-year old's eyes lit up when I told him Pike was trying out. That would make it a plus. Until I have to tell him he was cut.
[/quote]

Tell him Pike moved to a farm, where he can play football all the time.

Wouldn't it be a Cinderella story if Daulton went down for the year and Pike came in to lead the Bengals to a Super Bowl win and then walked off into the sunset? A local boy making good on his NFL opportunity?

Screw that I hope Daulton never gets hurt in his 20 year NFL career.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1336053611' post='1128468']
[b] A healthy Pike is better than Gradkowski,[/b] ...and I really like Gradkowski as our backup.

He's also cool under fire with an accurate deep ball.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're officially out of your fucking mind.

[quote name='#22' timestamp='1336054456' post='1128473']
Seems like a good guy, but he's a system QB...this is no better than signing Colt Brennan or [b]Graham Harrell.[/b]
[/quote]

[size=5][b]KILL YOURSELF[/b][/size]

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1336064628' post='1128554']
Tell him Pike moved to a farm, where he can play football all the time.
[/quote]

gLORIOUS!

[quote name='#22' timestamp='1336054456' post='1128473']
Seems like a good guy, but he's a system QB...this is no better than signing Colt Brennan or Graham Harrell.
[/quote]

I still think Brennan could have made a good NFL QB.. Watched those preseason games a couple years back and he was killing it until he got injured. He was just signed to the Saskatchewan Roughriders so maybe he will get a chance there.

[b]Pike would be eligible for the Practice Squad again wouldn't him. Coming off an injury and surgery, I doubt the club would have any problem stashing him there for a year. I think he could easily beat out Robinson and if he can learn the Bengals offensive sytem and thrive he might take over as Andy's caddy in 2014 after Gradkowski's deal expires/. [/b]

I like the opportunity and yeah, I'm a Bearcat homer.

I concur with many that already posted and don't think he makes the final Bengals roster. PS eligibility not with standing. I really think this is Pike’s chance to audition for the other 31 teams. If healthy and has a good showing in pre-season, I see him getting a roster spot somewhere.

Archived