I phone user question

I recommend Otterboxes. The phones themselves are so thin and lightweight and glass on both sides they are super slick. And until a cheap iPhone ever comes out, they have a relatively high residual sellback value when you upgrade. If they're dinged and scratched to shit not so true. I have insurance on mine, but I also bought it knowing it's first year would be in a damned combat zone. I'm halfway through that and it looks pretty much flawless when I take the case off. Otherwise, I would say if it makes it past the initial defect purposed warranty, they're high enough quality that with what an Otterbox prevents in terms protection from spray, scratches, and shocked filled drops, you'll be fine.

The phone itself is awesome and much like Tivo and DVRs, once you get one, you'll never want to go back.

I think Go posted some stats awhile ago about how impressively solid the 4S was from a defect and return standpoint. Like unheard of good.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' timestamp='1336160211' post='1128867']
I recommend Otterboxes. The phones themselves are so thin and lightweight and glass on both sides they are super slick. And until a cheap iPhone ever comes out, they have a relatively high residual sellback value when you upgrade. If they're dinged and scratched to shit not so true. I have insurance on mine, but I also bought it knowing it's first year would be in a damned combat zone. I'm halfway through that and it looks pretty much flawless when I take the case off. Otherwise, I would say if it makes it past the initial defect purposed warranty, they're high enough quality that with what an Otterbox prevents in terms protection from spray, scratches, and shocked filled drops, you'll be fine.

The phone itself is awesome and much like Tivo and DVRs, once you get one, you'll never want to go back.

I think Go posted some stats awhile ago about how impressively solid the 4S was from a defect and return standpoint. Like unheard of good.
[/quote]

from what i can see on defect rates int he first 6 months, its less than 1/3rd of the lowest one in the last 6 years...of smartphones... there are some flip phones and things that has very low rates, since there are really no functions that CAn go wrong... it is still destroying every other smartphone in return rate and defect rate.

almost every defect i have seen has been customer caused and it was just covered due to not being a huge smashing of the phone, etc..(poked hole through earpeice or mic holes, etc..

october seems to be a pretty solid rumor date for next one to launch, if anyone is on the verge, waiting may be worth 5 months to get the "new one"...

There you have it. So you might consider not getting a warranty at all. The other thing about the Otterbox cases and other similiar cases is that they slashed the price of the 4 cases to make room for the 4S stock, but there isn't really any change in form factor, so you can go on Amazon, pick up a 4 case and only spend 20 bucks on a 50 dollar case.

Waiting for the 5 is a good option too. Back when the 4S was supposed to launch in like May and kept getting pushed back, I ended up waiting almost 9 months past upgrade time with a Blackberry Tour of all things in order to get the iPhone. Almost unbearable.

Go, or any other iphone users / fanatics, - are you hearing anything about the 4S and battery issues?

I've got two users at work that switched from the Droid X (both wanted iphone 4 years ago but Verizon didn't have yet and they've lived through a Blackberry Storm and the X now) to the 4S and were stoked to get them. So far, both have been less than impressed with battery life. To say I was surprised to hear complaining is an understatement... I've heard about iphone from them for the past 4 years and figured once they got them they'd be in the land of titties and apple butter. But not so.

Tricks, tips, advice I can forward / send along? Advance thanks for helping to ease headaches!!!

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1336566644' post='1129656']
Go, or any other iphone users / fanatics, - are you hearing anything about the 4S and battery issues?

I've got two users at work that switched from the Droid X (both wanted iphone 4 years ago but Verizon didn't have yet and they've lived through a Blackberry Storm and the X now) to the 4S and were stoked to get them. So far, both have been less than impressed with battery life. To say I was surprised to hear complaining is an understatement... I've heard about iphone from them for the past 4 years and figured once they got them they'd be in the land of titties and apple butter. But not so.

Tricks, tips, advice I can forward / send along? Advance thanks for helping to ease headaches!!!
[/quote]

I had some minor battery issues on my 4S until I updated to the latest iOS (5.1.1?) and that took care of the problem which was the battery not charging to 100%. Now, I charge my iPhone once every 3 days or so, compared to my Droid RAZR, which I have to charge a minimum of once per day, even if it only receives email.

One thing that will suck the battery life on a 4S is if you leave a bajillion applications up and running. Just because you close the window doesn't mean that the app has shut down. From the home screen, if they double-tap the Home button, it will give them a running list on the bottom of the screen of every app that is still running in the background. If you press and hold one of the apps, it will make all of them jiggle. You can then proceed to shut them down by clicking on the 'X' in the upper left-hand corner of the app icon. I try to keep my running apps to a minimum, and my battery life is exceptional.

So, update to the latest iOS if not already there, and don't keep a bunch of shit running. If that doesn't work, they might want to just wipe the phone via iTunes and start over.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1336588670' post='1129763']
Otterboxes suck. I had a $50 Otterbox on my phone... dropped it, and now it's shattered. How the hell something that cost $50 doesn't work, who knows? I'll never buy another Otterbox again. Get the insurance.
[/quote]

nothing is fool proof, there is a sales rep at my store who throws his phone across the store 5-6 times a day in his otterbox, so its probably been thrown 500 times, not a single issue. its a matter of no matter what case, if it hits just right, its going to break....unless you get a case only exposing the screen when in use and completely covers it all other times, anything can happen..

as for battery.. the updates help, they just launched 5.1.1 yesterday, mine lasts many days.. they probably need to turn down the brightness, at full brightness it cust the battery life in half almost..

another battery hog is exchange email. certain microsoft exchange servers ping back and forth like its going out of style.. when i had my work exchange on here it lasted like 5 hours a day... so i bought the microsoft outlook app instead, and it checks every hour instead... and just like flocko.. mine lasts 2-3 days easy...

its 100% the fault of user apps or email or settings... not the device..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1336589766' post='1129775']
nothing is fool proof, there is a sales rep at my store who throws his phone across the store 5-6 times a day in his otterbox, so its probably been thrown 500 times, not a single issue. its a matter of no matter what case, if it hits just right, its going to break....unless you get a case only exposing the screen when in use and completely covers it all other times, anything can happen..

as for battery.. the updates help, they just launched 5.1.1 yesterday, mine lasts many days..[b] they probably need to turn down the brightness, at full brightness it cust the battery life in half almost..

another battery hog is exchange email. certain microsoft exchange servers ping back and forth like its going out of style.[/b]. when i had my work exchange on here it lasted like 5 hours a day... so i bought the microsoft outlook app instead, and it checks every hour instead... and just like flocko.. mine lasts 2-3 days easy...

[/quote]

Completely forgot about those two. I have my brightness turned down halfway, and I disabled all push notifications for mail so it only checks when I go into the application.

I'll have to look into that Outlook App...

I leave Bluetooth on all the time on my iPhone 4, and even then I charge every other day. What gets me is something running that leaves location services active... Doesn't happen often though.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1336589766' post='1129775']
[/quote]

I appreciate the responses...

Go - as for the above statement... that goes for almost any device, not just iphones!

My evo 3d had the digitizer go bad. Was only $35 to get a replacement phone though, with no insurance.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1336660929' post='1129939']

Go - as for the above statement... that goes for almost any device, not just iphones!
[/quote]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1336660929' post='1129939']

[/quote]

very very true... though i'd say 3% of consumers comprehend this..

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1336661689' post='1129946']
My evo 3d had the digitizer go bad. Was only $35 to get a replacement phone though, with no insurance.
[/quote]

yea, going without insurance is a risk like any other insurance. the manufacturer defects arent too bad with the $35 fee, but if you had cracked the screen, it woulda been $400+ for another 3d or buying another phone on ebay/craigslist, etc..

i always carried it, even as an employee ho could fix it himself for free just in case i lost it or something..

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1336588670' post='1129763']
Otterboxes suck. I had a $50 Otterbox on my phone... dropped it, and now it's shattered. How the hell something that cost $50 doesn't work, who knows? I'll never buy another Otterbox again. Get the insurance.
[/quote]

So for the record they've been this price since the 4S came out. I'm sorry you bought full retail. http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender-iPhone-Retail-Packaging/dp/B003UC8RVE

Is there a case then that you would recommend to be better?

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' timestamp='1336835579' post='1130360']
So for the record they've been this price since the 4S came out. I'm sorry you bought full retail. [url="http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender-iPhone-Retail-Packaging/dp/B003UC8RVE"]http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B003UC8RVE[/url]

Is there a case then that you would recommend to be better?
[/quote]

that case is kind of bulky, and the rubber will get a little stretched on it over time depending how hard you are on it...thats the defender series, its bulkier but has more padding so to speak... the commuter series is smaller, pretects rather well still, the defender would probably survive a hefty drop, the cummter is basically to survive falling off your lap or out of your hand...

i look it at like:

Defender: construction worker protection - falling off a truck or single story roof
Commuter: consumer level protection - falling off your lap or hand dropping while using it, etc..

i have no case on mine at all, just screen protectors(which come with otterboxes already)... but i can swap mine out whenever i want unless i lose it... minimal risk *knocks on wood*

my 2 cents

commuter series: http://www.amazon.com/Otterbox-Commuter-Series-Hybrid-iPhone/dp/B005SWX65G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1337104365&sr=8-7

Archived