Worst Trade Ever?

Lewdog

I know there has been some bad trades in baseball, but damn does Josh Hamilton really have to continue to make the Reds look like idiots to trading him away instead of letting him try centerfield? FOUR home runs tonight...WTF! Who did the Reds get in that trade again? Edinson Rodriguez? Javier Volquez? It doesn't matter if his name was Ricardo Montebon, this trade was a huge disaster.

I thought Hamilton wanted out?

Regardless, it's good to see him doing well. What a gnarly lineup it would be with Votto, Hamilton, and Bruce. Not that we would be able to afford all of them.

I really think I remember reading at the time that Hamilton was causing some jealousy in the locker room with all the attention he was receiving for coming back from all his problems. IIRC I believe the author hinted very hard, without actually saying it, that Junior was behind the Hamilton trade as he wanted the team to focus more on him. Kinda like he was the old man being pushed out and the young blood (Hamilton) was taking his place and he couldn't handle that. At that time the Reds were Junior so the team listened to him and Hamilton was gone.

It was one of those unnamed source articles so it may or may not be true, but to give up on a talent like Hamilton so quickly... something else had to be going on.

While I agree that the trade has worked out really bad for us, at the end of hte day we would have votto and hamitlon and probably could only afford 1. And we would have kept votto since he is more reliable then hamilton (both injury history and off the field).

No way would we have both those guys long term. Not to mention Bruce and Phillips.

Yes it was a bad trade, but if volquez would have stayed healthy it at least goes down as an ok trade.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1336530972' post='1129622']
I really think I remember reading at the time that Hamilton was causing some jealousy in the locker room with all the attention he was receiving for coming back from all his problems. IIRC I believe the author hinted very hard, without actually saying it, that Junior was behind the Hamilton trade as he wanted the team to focus more on him. Kinda like he was the old man being pushed out and the young blood (Hamilton) was taking his place and he couldn't handle that. At that time the Reds were Junior so the team listened to him and Hamilton was gone.

It was one of those unnamed source articles so it may or may not be true, but to give up on a talent like Hamilton so quickly... something else had to be going on.
[/quote]

I remember reading the same, but it was more of an indictment of Griffey and Dunn, than a criticism of Hamilton.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336564342' post='1129650']
at least the Reds got something in return for him. Before he was a Red he was left off the Devil Rays' 40 man roster and traded from the Cubs to the Reds for $100,000. IMO both were bigger mistakes than the Reds trading him.
[/quote]

How can you say that? When he came to the Reds they had no idea what he would do, but once he got to Cincinnati he played exceptionally well for the last bit of the season.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1336587513' post='1129750']
How can you say that? When he came to the Reds they had no idea what he would do, but once he got to Cincinnati he played exceptionally well for the last bit of the season.
[/quote]

while also being injured for nearly half of it.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1336587513' post='1129750']
[/quote]

everyone always knew what Josh could do as he was a #1 pick. He only played 90 games for the reds, so they were justified in being concerned over his health going forward. He still does miss a good amount of time.

I agree with 1181 that if you're going to hold it agains the reds then it's even worse for the Cubs and Rays cause they got nothing back. The Reds tried to sell high and got a solid return (top pitching prospect). Hamilton did not fit into the locker room with Dunn, Griffey, and Phillips and I'm not convinced he would have had similar success here given the outside factors. When he went to Texas, the team fully embraced him and he thrived

The trade blew up in the Reds face, but given what the team knew at the time and what their needs were it wasn't a horrible decision. Could have been a win-win if Volquez also lived up to his potential.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1336529750' post='1129607']
The Reds are going to go down in history as being involved in two of the worst trades in history. The Frank Robinson trade is already considered one of the worst and eventually the Hamilton trade will be.
[/quote]

And the Joe Morgan trade is considered as one of the best. I'll take the trade-off.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1336529750' post='1129607']
The Reds are going to go down in history as being involved in two of the worst trades in history. The Frank Robinson trade is already considered one of the worst and eventually the Hamilton trade will be.
[/quote]

Well, one "worst" is also one "best". Houston was involved with us in one of the "worst" trades:

Houston traded Joe Morgan, Dennis Menke, Jack Billingham and Cesar Geronimo
We gave them Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Jimmy Stewart

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1346009331' post='1151385']
you need pitching to win, we got pitching, someone in the cy young race currently.. hamilton was a badass, but its not like the reds got fleeced.
[/quote]

What? Volquez or Herrera aren't in any talks at all for the Cy young race.....

I think you're mixing up Cueto and Volquez.

I still don't mind the trade. Hamilton has done very well, but even now the talk in baseball is that you can't really give the guy a long term contract because he is a ticking time bomb. Volquez didn't work out here, but the guy has talent. The trade didn't work out as well as you would have hoped, but I think they did the right thing, Cashed in while his value was high and cut bait.

Doing the right thing doesn't guarantee the best result, but it doesn't mean that you change what you are doing for a statistical aberration. It was more likely that someone like Hamilton relapses, than it is he goes on to become some sort of super star with a long career.

I don't mind the trade either. If we kept Hamilton who do we give up between Votto, Bruce, and Phillips. And it was unclear how he fit in the clubhouse overall, atleast to me from what I read. But this is a completely different clubhouse/team than when he did play here so it is impossibe to tell. I do wish him well and when the guy is healthy and on he is a freak.

Another thing to note is Volquez was part of that trade to get Latos. In April that trade looked like a disaster. Volquez, Yasmani Grandal, and Yonder Alonso was a steep price. Looking at it now.... at least this year, when the Reds have a legitimate shot now at the World Series title. Walt Jockety is looking pretty damn good with this trade.

I think people forget that the year before he was traded, Hamilton missed 72 games, on top of his personal issues.

In 5 years in Texas, he's missed 189 games. That's A LOT. He's missed a decent amount of time in 4 of his 5 seasons there.

You can argue that the trade hasn't worked out for the Reds as Volquez (and others) didn't work out, but its hard to argue that it wasn't the right trade at the time. The Reds needed pitching, and there were legitimate concerns about Hamilton's ability to stay healthy, and maybe more importantly, to stay clean.

Archived