The Witcher 2

I recently upgraded my graphics card (got a 2GB NVidia 560 that is kicking some ass), and I bought Witcher 2 to test out the capabilities. The game definitely looks awesome with all the settings maxed out. I like the gameplay as well, but I think the cut scenes are ultimately going to make me lose interest. It's not that the cutscenes aren't good, they are...there's just WAY too many of them. I probably have 5 hours of play time in, and I feel like 2.5 hours of that has been all cutscenes. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd watch a damn movie. I buy games because I want to play them, not watch them.

Seriously, the amount of cutscenes in this game would make the FInal Fantasy writers jealous.

Hopefully it makes for a good story... which so far has been good. I literally just finished with the tutorial and saved it the first chance I got last night. I don't have the combat down yet... it suggested I play on EASY after the tutorial; hahaha. I have a week to beat it so I can take it back next Monday and get my money back. If not, I'll probably take it back anyway and just forget about it... that's what I did with Hunter's Forge or whatever it was called. The game was all right, but not great... now, that game was just like Gauntlet.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1337687953' post='1131932']
I have a week to beat it so I can take it back next Monday and get my money back. If not, I'll probably take it back anyway and just forget about it...
[/quote]

Or, you know, you could just keep it and actually pay for the things you use...

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1337701297' post='1131962']
Or, you know, you could just keep it and actually pay for the things you use...
[/quote]

They should change their policy on returning used games. I'm told I could return it in 7 days if I decided not to keep it. Not trying to be the bad person here but I don't feel bad at all about it. I spend plenty of money there when a new game I want does come out.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1337706870' post='1131984']
They should change their policy on returning used games. I'm told I could return it in 7 days if I decided not to keep it. Not trying to be the bad person here but I don't feel bad at all about it. I spend plenty of money there when a new game I want does come out.
[/quote]

Why don't you try GameFly then?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1337710570' post='1132007']
Why don't you try GameFly then?
[/quote]

Agreed. Either buy it and keep it (or resell it as used), or try GameFly.

The fact that you can get away with something doesn't make it ethical. If you bought a game you had high expectations for, found out it sucked balls, then returned it because you were legitimately dissatisfied with the product, that'd be one thing. But you seem to be purposely taking advantage of something meant to aid customers who actually get burned from buying bad games. The thing you don't understand is that if too many people did what you're doing, they'd probably kill the entire return policy, ruining it for everyone.

Gamefly is a great alternative if you don't have the money to shell out for new games every time you want one.

I don't play enough for gamefly. In the past year or so I've bought Skyrim, Madden, NCAA, Gears, and an old FIFA... think that's it.

It'll take a true intriguing for me to keep it (I know I won't beat it, not enough time).

I'm thinking about buying Game of Thrones to watch. Never seen it but heard it was great

Then why not rent games? There has to be a local place that rents them out.

I'm in the software business, and, as you can imagine, piracy and stealing is always a big topic of conversation. Since many of the other developers are also big gamers, we often talk about stealing as it relates to video games.

I say this, because these conversations have made me understand some things that most people don't realize when it comes to the costs of producing games.

If you take anything away from this post, please let it be these next two paragraphs. Read them, then think about them a while. Think about the ramifications of what they mean:

[b]
Do you know what the average console video game costed in 1986, when the NES was the big kahuna? $59.99. Know what they cost now? $59.99.

Adjusted for inflation, a game that cost $59.99 [i]should[/i] cost roughly $125.00 right now. Except...they don't. They still cost $59.99, presumably because the game distributors know consumers don't want to pay over $100 for video games (even if that's actually less than what they were paying in 1986 anyways).
[/b]

Compounding the problem is that games are more expensive than ever to produce. There used to be a time when a handful of developers could sit around a table and make a game in a year or two that could end up selling millions. Now, games have become far more complex. You need an entire team of developers, all with their own specialized areas. You need artists, writers, illustrators, composers, sound technicians, voice actors, etc, etc. And sure, the development process is certainly more streamlined than it was 25 years ago. It's quite common for games to reuse the same graphic and physics engines. That's certainly true. But I don't think there's any doubt that new games still cost significantly more than old games to develop.

Also, with each passing year, consumers are demanding more and more content out of their games. There are videos on Youtube of people beating Super Mario Bros 3 in 11 minutes. If someone released a $60 game in today's climate that could be beaten in 11 minutes (and that didn't have a full-scale multiplayer mode), there would be riots.

But games are still $59.99. Same as they were in 1986. You're not going to find many products that cost exactly the same as they did in 1986, yet still provide substantially more substance than they did back then.

Realizing all of these things (thanks to my friends), really changed my stance on the gaming industry. I no longer pirate any games whatsoever. I no longer complain about in-game advertising. I complain far less about paid DLC (although Capcom's recent trend of re-releasing fighting games with a few new characters that could have easily been DLC still enfuriates me).

The reality is that game publishers are having a really hard time making up the price gaps that used to be a gimme to them. If you look at the industry over the past few years, it's littered with studios that have shut down, sold out, merged, or reorganized under new names. The reasoning is simple. Nobody has a good model for making the same profits that these studios used to make back in the day of the NES and Genesis. Right now, their strategy is to make up the extra via DLC and to crack down on piracy. I think the DLC approach is a realistic one, since that's where media is beginning to trend towards anyways. The piracy approach has a huge number of questions marks around it, however. Anything that can potentially cripple a user experience can't be a good solution, but DRM has proven to do exactly that. But as long as people continue to pirate/steal/find crappy loopholes in return policies, then the companies are going to look for ways to prevent it. They just have too much to lose to let it go on, unabated.

I would encourage you to find a way to pay for these games. If you can't afford to buy them, then go through gamefly. If you don't play enough to justify that, then go out to a brick and mortar store and rent them when the urge arises. Obviously, these aren't nearly as profitable to game publishers as outright buying, but at least some kind of money is getting put out there.

But returning games you had no intention of keeping is only going to push the envelope even further and force the publishers to tighten the clamps even more.

I understand what you are saying completely. Yes, I should not take advantage of their system but I'm not going to act like I never have or won't continue to do so. However, I have taken your post in and will consider your advice. Perhaps I buy my games there because I know I can take these used games back. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd just go to Walmart; where I go for everything else. For some reason I always go over to GameStop to buy new when I can get the same thing at Walmart. Maybe it's a good thing for me, subconsciously, that I can take these used games back before 7 days.

Or maybe I just don't care enough and am trying to right it in my mind.

I'll think more about it tomorrow.

I put in a couple hours last night. All this crap I picked up I don't really understand. I understand how to fight and use my spells or whatever they're called, but I picked up rope or something...

on the shit I pick up, I just equip the best stuff right? How often do you pick up something better than what you already have? In other words, when should I started using all my stuff to upgrade my swords? I'm doing some side things and helping people...

SPOILER ****** Drag to Read

[color=#fff0f5]The story is awesome... can someone help me out here though to make sure I am right. I am to the part where the king was assassinated by the dude in the opening scene before you start your game. I am a Witcher, I kill people, have a big name, yadda yadda yadda. I go to this kingdom, follow this king around because he's battling with a friend kingdom where his kids are stashed (because they were friends and the mom went over there with them???). We get the kids, the king is murdered, it looks like I did it, and now I am being interrogated. Is that it?[/color]

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1337860927' post='1132318']
I put in a couple hours last night. All this crap I picked up I don't really understand. I understand how to fight and use my spells or whatever they're called, but I picked up rope or something...

on the shit I pick up, I just equip the best stuff right? How often do you pick up something better than what you already have? In other words, when should I started using all my stuff to upgrade my swords? I'm doing some side things and helping people...

SPOILER ****** Drag to Read

[color=#fff0f5]The story is awesome... can someone help me out here though to make sure I am right. I am to the part where the king was assassinated by the dude in the opening scene before you start your game. I am a Witcher, I kill people, have a big name, yadda yadda yadda. I go to this kingdom, follow this king around because he's battling with a friend kingdom where his kids are stashed (because they were friends and the mom went over there with them???). We get the kids, the king is murdered, it looks like I did it, and now I am being interrogated. Is that it?[/color]
[/quote]

No, you don't often pick up stuff that is better than the stuff you already have. But you do pick up a lot of ingredients that you use to make different potions for alchemy. You have to meditate to get to the alchemy screen and use the ingredients you have to create potions. Then you can drink certain potions to give you a boost depending on what situation you're going into. Each potion says what it does. You have to plan that stuff out.

And a lot of the random items you get also you can take to a blacksmith and have him create better armor or weapons for you depending on what you need.

Archived