45 years ago today

I'm sure a handful of you have stories to share

[color=#333333][url="https://twitter.com/#!/Bengals"][b]Cincinnati Bengals[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/size][/url][/color]
[color=#333333]RT [url="https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballHOF"][s]@[/s][b]ProFootballHOF[/b][/url]: 5/23/67 - City of Cincinnati was awarded AFL franchise to begin play in '68. That franchise would become the[url="https://twitter.com/#!/Bengals"][s]@[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url].[/color]

I only have a fuzzy memory or two..I was only a young teenager at the time. I was, even then though, a real AFL fan. ABC and then NBC used to have their games on at some crazy times of day (for the time period) like 7:30 on Saturday nights and 2pm Sunday afternoons. But the football was a lot of fun to watch.

I remember vaguely hearing about Cincinnati getting a franchise..but it didn't really register because I was living in another state at the time. I recall seeing Paul Brown's name going along with it, and that Cincinnati was chosen over Seattle.

The next year though, while in Ohio on vacation, I was taken to the first Bengal exhibition game at Nippert Stadium. Then I became a fan of the Bengals as well as the AFL.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1337798986' post='1132194']
I only have a fuzzy memory or two..I was only a young teenager at the time. I was, even then though, a real AFL fan. ABC and then NBC used to have their games on at some crazy times of day (for the time period) like 7:30 on Saturday nights and 2pm Sunday afternoons. But the football was a lot of fun to watch.

I remember vaguely hearing about Cincinnati getting a franchise..but it didn't really register because I was living in another state at the time. I recall seeing Paul Brown's name going along with it, and that Cincinnati was chosen over Seattle.

The next year though, while in Ohio on vacation, I was taken to the first Bengal exhibition game at Nippert Stadium. Then I became a fan of the Bengals as well as the AFL.
[/quote]

I remember only that there was a war going on and the Bengals only came into my picture about the time our involvement in that war ended.

I read the biography of Paul Brown somewhat recently and remember a tidbit about Seattle being in the mix for the Bengals. However, no personal knowledge of the formation. I believe Cinci was chosen so that Paul Brown could remain a thorn in Art Modell's side within the same state.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1337811020' post='1132230']
I remember only that there was a war going on and the Bengals only came into my picture about the time our involvement in that war ended.

I read the biography of Paul Brown somewhat recently and remember a tidbit about Seattle being in the mix for the Bengals. However, no personal knowledge of the formation. I believe Cinci was chosen so that Paul Brown could remain a thorn in Art Modell's side within the same state.
[/quote]

Paul wanted to go to seattle, Mike convinced him on Cincinnati.

At least that's how I've always heard it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1337811760' post='1132232']
Paul wanted to go to seattle, Mike convinced him on Cincinnati.

At least that's how I've always heard it.[/quote]

I think Mike had an influence on his decision but was only a small part of the larger picture. Paul had to have approval of the league (Rozelle) and other owners, his financial backers, the city planners which authorized money for the new stadium which was required to be built by the league, temporary stadium use had to have a certain amount of seats, etc... All combined to make this decision for Paul Brown. He did apparently have a certain attachment to the Left Coast because he was living there while in his exile from Ohio.

Here are some tidbits from the Paul Brown Story;

[quote][b]From the Paul Brown Story[/b]
[b]Written by Paul Brown and Jack Clary[/b]

The idea of returning to professional football in Ohio had never been too far from my mind. My son Mike had made a survey of areas in the country which did not have a professional football team, and of them all, he showed me that Cincinnati was the most appealing.

I also kept Pete Rozelle informed about or progress, and he encouraged me fully because the surveys he has commissioned for the league agreed completely with ours about the suitability of Cincinnati as a franchise. By this point it was pretty much determined that I would get back into pro football in Cincinnati or not at all because other prospected cities, such as Phoenix or Settle, did not have suitable stadiums, and the universities in those cities were not inclined to allow theirs to be used by pro teams.

...Art Rooney of the Pittsburgh Steelers stood up at a meeting that was considering New Orleans, Seattle and some other larger cities and said to the owners, “Why are you fellows thinking twice? Cincinnati is a tremendous city and it would be a fine addition to our league.”

Nothing could dim my enthusiasm at returning to professional football. I felt twenty-one years old again and like a new father, because I was coming home to Ohio. I had no worries about the franchise’s being successful because professional football was riding tremendous popularity boom, and everyone knew me in Cincinnati from my days with the Browns.
[/quote]

...19-3 against the Pittsburgh Steelers and 13-9 over the New York Jets (our 1st wins)... (Note: Jets later won the Super Bowl. Even though this was preseason it was a special beginning).

[b] [size=6]TDIF: The Birth of the Bengals[/size][/b]

[b] by TCIPF Staff[/b]

Forty-five years ago today on the banks of the mighty Ohio River, a band of orange and black, football playing tiger cats was born under the watchful eye of a fedora toting Organization Man. His name was Paul Brown and he called his new litter the [url="http://www.remembertheafl.com/BengalsFacts.html"]Cincinnati Bengals.[/url]

May 24, 1967 was the day the Queen City was officially awarded a franchise in the American Football League. The iconic Brown led the Bengals ownership group and was the team’s head coach for its first eight seasons – a historic kittenhood that included joining the NFL in the pro football merger consummated in 1970, and, under assistant coach Bill Walsh, the development of what would later be called the West Coast Offense.

Happy birthday, Bengals! Here’s a look back at your early days, as originally presented in chapter 4 of the 2009 documentary series [i]Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League.[/i]

(Link for VIDEO http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/09000d5d8294c489/Films-Encore-The-Bengals-are-born )

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/05/24/tdif-the-birth-of-the-bengals/

I was thinking who should I support, the Browns or the Bengals? I grew up supporting the Browns like everyone else living in Ohio. Jim Brown and LeRoy Kelly were exciting to watch. They even had a guy still playing without a facemask! I forget his name. I think his first name was Tommy?

[quote name='Rick' timestamp='1337906392' post='1132448']
I was thinking who should I support, the Browns or the Bengals? I grew up supporting the Browns like everyone else living in Ohio. Jim Brown and LeRoy Kelly were exciting to watch. They even had a guy still playing without a facemask! I forget his name. I think his first name was Tommy?
[/quote]

What made u switch allegiances?

[quote name='Rick' timestamp='1337906392' post='1132448']
[/quote]

Your memory serves you well. At first I thought you were referring to Tommy Flynn who the Browns used to kick around the field and I think shot him out of a cannon also. Then I had to look it up and found out it was Tommy McDonald. There was a kicker/punter that had no facemask for a longer period of time but Tommy was neither.

Tommy Flynn performance during a halftime show.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/uploads//gallery/album_52/gallery_1479_52_43376.jpg[/img]

The first facemask was worn by Otto Graham.

[b]Tommy McDonald[/b] was only with the Browns in [b]1968[/b] which I believe was his last year in the NFL.

[url="http://www.helmethut.com/062102.html"]http://www.helmethut.com/062102.html[/url]
The last players not to wear a facemask according to our imperfect memory were Pat Studstill and Bobby Joe Green. [b]Studstill[/b] wore a one bar facemask as a receiver and wore a different helmet without a facemask while punting for the Rams until [b]1971[/b]. [b]Green[/b] served as the Bear's punter through [b]1974[/b]. [b]Tommy McDonald [/b]was the last player other than a kicker or punter to not wear a facemask What may be more impressive is that the Boston Patriot's Jesse [b]Richardson[/b] played without a facemask until [b]1964[/b] on the defensive line.

Here is the actual helmet worn during that time frame according to Helmet Hut. The helmet was called a Dunguard. In 1969 they switched to Riddell,

[url="http://www.helmethut.com/Bengals/benindex1c.html"]http://www.helmethut...benindex1c.html[/url]

[img]http://www.helmethut.com/beng3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.helmethut.com/beng1.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1337910296' post='1132473']
What made u switch allegiances?
[/quote]
If I remember correctly, the TV stations stopped broadcasted Brown games and broadcasted only Bengal games. Everything in the Dayton area market started to be about the Bengals and less and less of the Browns.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1337911125' post='1132486']
Your memory serves you well. At first I thought you were referring to Tommy Flynn who the Browns used to kick around the field and I think shot him out of a cannon also. Then I had to look it up and found out it was Tommy McDonald. There was a kicker/punter that had no facemask for a longer period of time but Tommy was neither.

Tommy Flynn performance during a halftime show.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/uploads//gallery/album_52/gallery_1479_52_43376.jpg[/img]

The first facemask was worn by Otto Graham.

[b]Tommy McDonald[/b] was only with the Browns in [b]1968[/b] which I believe was his last year in the NFL.

[url="http://www.helmethut.com/062102.html"]http://www.helmethut.com/062102.html[/url]
The last players not to wear a facemask according to our imperfect memory were Pat Studstill and Bobby Joe Green. [b]Studstill[/b] wore a one bar facemask as a receiver and wore a different helmet without a facemask while punting for the Rams until [b]1971[/b]. [b]Green[/b] served as the Bear's punter through [b]1974[/b]. [b]Tommy McDonald [/b]was the last player other than a kicker or punter to not wear a facemask What may be more impressive is that the Boston Patriot's Jesse [b]Richardson[/b] played without a facemask until [b]1964[/b] on the defensive line.
[/quote]
That's right. It was [b]Tommy McDonald! He was not very big, but he was MEAN![/b]

Excellent video OLD. Always nice to see the old game footage and the homage paid to Paul Brown.

1968 Bill at Bengals
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhrzdOquMs[/media]

Steve Chomyszak (His son posted this on YouTube which some of you might remember from back in the day)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUa5kkrjjI[/media]

Steve Chomyszak was one of my favorite players. He was the strongest NFL player at the time, benching 610 lbs, squatting 900.

[quote name='Rick' timestamp='1337961650' post='1132582']

That's right. It was [b]Tommy McDonald! He was not very big, but he was MEAN![/b]
[/quote]

Before I moved to Ohio, I lived in New Jersey just across the river from Philadelphia. My first NFL game was at Franklin Field there. Think that was '63. Tommy McDonald was on that Eagle team...I remember it distinctly because of the no-mask thing. There was also a defensive lineman who only had one bar in front of his helmet. Don't remember his name...but he probably didn't have any teeth.

BTW...the first helmet I ever had beginning HS ball was a Dungard. Got to "graduate" to a Riddell after making the varsity. Neither looked any better than primitive...but they actually protected one's noggin pretty well.

This list is complete as far as I am aware. Some of the players had limited information available for them and not all of it may be reliable. If someone else wants to fill in the blanks feel free to add and or correct the information.

1968 Bengals Roster

[b]G/T Dan Archer[/b]
Daniel G. "Dan" Archer (born September 29, 1944 in Grand Rapids, Michigan) is a
former American football offensive tackle in the American Football League. he played
college football at the University of Oregon, and then professionally for the Oakland
Raiders in 1967 and for the Cincinnati Bengals in 1968. He currently lives in Mill
Valley, California.

Raised in Modesto, California, Mr. Archer studied architecture for four years at the
University of Oregon, but drafted by the Army before receiving his degree. He instead
joined the Army Reserves, which afforded him the opportunity to play professional
football for over two years; the highlight of this brief career was his participation
in Super Bowl II with the Oakland Raiders. He finished his education and received his
degree in 1971 in architecture, with honors, from the College of Environmental Design
at the University of California, Berkeley. He is a licensed architect with interests
in theater, classical music and bicycling. He is married and has two sons and one
daughter and has lived in Mill Valley, California since 1982.

[b]DE Marty Baccaglio[/b]
Martin Hoppe "Marty" Baccaglio (born September 28, 1944 in San Francisco, California)
is a former American football defensive end. He played college football at San José
State University. He played professionally in the American Football League for the
San Diego Chargers in 1968 and for the Cincinnati Bengals 1968-1969. He also played
for the Bengals of the National Football League in 1970.

[b]RB Estes Banks[/b]
Estes McLeod Banks[1] (born December 18, 1945 in Los Angeles, California[2]) is a
retired American football running back who played in the American Football League.
Banks was an 8th round selection (188th overall pick) out of Colorado by the Oakland
Raiders in the 1967 Common Draft.[3] He played for the Raiders in 1967[4] and the
Cincinnati Bengals in 1968.[5]

[b]LB Al Beauchamp[/b]
Alfred Beauchamp (born June 25, 1944 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana) is a former American
football linebacker. he played college football at Southern University, and played
professionally in the American Football League in 1968 and 1969 for the Cincinnati
Bengals, and for the National Football League's Bengals from 1970 through 1975 and
the St.Louis Cardinals in 1976.

[b]LB Danny Brabham[/b]
Danny Brabham, an All-Southwest Conference fullback at Arkansas as a senior in 1962,
died Saturday night at his home in Prairieville, La., according to Harold Horton,
executive director of the Razorback Foundation and a former UA teammate of Brabham’s.
Brabham, 69, died in his sleep, Horton said.
Brabham moved to linebacker as a professional and played six seasons in the AFL with
the Houston Oilers and Cincinnati Bengals. He played with Houston from 1963-67 and
finished his pro career with Cincinnati in 1968.
Brabham, who was born in Magnolia, Miss., came to Arkansas after starring at
Greensburg (La.) High School. He played linebacker, center and guard for the
Razorbacks before moving to fullback in the spring before his senior season. He
lettered at Arkansas from 1960-62.
Brabham signed with Houston after the Oilers made him the sixth overall pick in the
first round of the 1963 AFL Draft. The St. Louis Cardinals picked him in the third
round (30th overall) in the NFL Draft.

[b]LB Frank Buncom[/b]
Buncom played for seven seasons in the AFL with the San Diego Chargers (1962-1967)
and the Cincinnati Bengals (1968). He was a three time AFL All-Star, in 1964, 1965,
and 1967. He is a member of the Chargers Hall of Fame. He died in 1969 in his sleep
the night before the Bengals' opening game.[1] Note: blood clot in his leg that
moved to his lungs and killed him.

[b]DT Steve Chomyszak[/b]
Stephen John Chomyszak (February 27, 1944 – January 25, 1988) was an American
football defensive lineman in the American Football League and the National Football
League. A defensive tackle, he played for the AFL's New York Jets (1966–1967) and
Cincinnati Bengals (1968–1969) and the NFL's Bengals (1970–1973)

Steve was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 1987 and died on January 25, 1988 in
Binghamton, New York.

[b]LB Paul Elzey[/b]
He was drafted for professional football by the Baltimore Colts and later played for
both the Colts and the Cincinnati Bengals as a starting linebacker. As a wrestler,
Paul won the MAC heavyweight title in 1966, was runner-up as a junior in 1967, and
again won the title as a senior in 1968. He was a qualifier for the NCAA championship
tournament three consecutive seasons. His collegiate career record for all matches
was 48-3-1, his only losses coming to two- time NCAA champion Dave Porter of
Michigan. Besides his MAC titles, he was 4-1 tournament champion two consecutive
season and was a tryout finalist for both the Pan-American games and the Olympics.
Paul later helped coach and develop the greatest wrestler in UT history, Hall of
Famer Greg Wojciechowski. Now he is the wrestling coach at Cardinal where he led his
1985 team to the Ohio State University Champion.

[b]LB Bernie Erickson[/b]
Position: Linebacker
Birthdate: October 16, 1944
College: Abilene Christian
Drafted: Selected by the San Diego Chargers in the 5th round of the 1967 AFL Draft

[b]T/G Howard Fest[/b]
Howard Arthur Fest (born April 11, 1946 in San Antonio, Texas) is a former American
football offensive lineman who played in the American Football League (AFL) and in
the National Football League (NFL). He was an original member of the AFL Cincinnati
Bengals, playing with them for 9 years. He began his career at tackle, but later
moved to guard. He was given the nickname "Mr. Consistency" by his teammates.[1] He
was made available in the 1976 NFL Expansion Draft, and was selected by the Tampa Bay
Buccaneers, where he played two seasons.

[b]DB Curt Frazier[/b]
Curt Frazier was born on Sunday, March 11, 1945 in Berkeley , CA.
- he is 5'11'' (180 cm) tall.
- his weight is 193 lbs (88 kg).
- he has a gaming experience of 1 year.
- Curt attended the Fresno State University.

[b]DB White Graves[/b]
White Graves was born on Friday, March 20, 1942 in Jackson , MS
Read more: [url="http://people.famouswhy.com/white_graves/#ixzz1w1lnZXTq"]http://people.famouswhy.com/white_graves/#ixzz1w1lnZXTq[/url]
Hometown (H.S.): Crystal Springs, Miss
College: LSU
Pro: 1968 for Cincinnati Bengals
1967 for Boston Patriots

[b]DE Jim Griffin[/b]

[b]DE Harry Gunner[/b]
Harry Gunner was born on Saturday, November 25, 1944 in Port Arthur , TX
Also played for Chicago Bears

[b]LB Sherrill Headrick[/b]
Sherrill Headrick (March 13, 1937 – September 10, 2008) was an American college and
Professional Football player from Texas Christian University.
Headrick played with a broken neck, infected gums, and a fractured thumb. When an
injury left the bone in his finger protruding from the skin, Headrick popped the
bones in place without missing a play.

The results of these injuries included debilitating arthritis, and he used a
wheelchair for the last ten years of his life.
He was a Sporting News AFL All-League selection in 1960, 1961 and 1962, when the
Texans won the longest game ever played and defeated the two-time defending champion
Houston Oilers in the double-overtime AFL Championship game. He was an AFL Western
Division All-Star in 1965 and in 1966, when the Chiefs won the franchise's second AFL
title, and played in the first AFL-NFL World Championship game. He finished his
career with the Cincinnati Bengals in 1968.

Headrick died on September 10, 2008 after a long battle with cancer, at the age of

[b]TE/LB Ken Herock[/b]
Ken Herock (born 1941, in Pittsburgh) was an American college and professional
football player who played tight end. He played collegiately at West Virginia and
professionally in the American Football League, where he played for the AFL Champion
Oakland Raiders in the second AFL-NFL World Championship Game, held after the 1967
season. He attended Munhall High School in Pittsburgh. His six year pro career was
spent with the Oakland Raiders, who he helped win the AFL title, the Cincinnati
Bengals, and the Boston Patriots. After his playing career ended, Herock was a player
personnel executive in the NFL with the Raiders, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the
Atlanta Falcons. He is known for trading Brett Favre from the Falcons to the Green
Bay Packers at the urging of head coach Jerry Glanville.[1]

Herock spent seven seasons as the Raiders' personnel director, and was credited with
helping build their Super Bowl XI championship team. He followed Ron Wolf to the
expansion Buccaneers, where he held the title of Director of Player Personnel for the
team's first eight years. During his tenure, the Buccaneers reached the playoffs in
only four years, at that time the fastest of any NFL team. At the expiration of his
contract in 1984, Herock found that he could make more money than he was being
offered by Buccaneers owner Hugh Culverhouse, but the frugal Culverhouse refused to
increase his offer.[2] Coach Howard Schnellenberger then made Herock his first hire,
offering him the same position with the USFL Washington Federals. This failed to pan
out, as the team's planned move to Miami coincided with the USFL's planned move to a
fall schedule, and their prospective owner canceled his purchase of the team rather
than try to compete head-to-head with the Miami Dolphins and Hurricanes.[3]

He has 2 sons, one being the assistant director of scouting for the Green Bay
Packers. Ken also has 5 grandchildren.

In High School, Ken played volleball, baseball, basketball, and football. Ken Now
lives in Gainsville Georgia and is in the West Vargina Hall of Fame

[b]LB Mike Hibler[/b]
1968 Bengals
1967 Oakland Raiders
Stanford Football Defensive Guard, Defensive Tackle
1966, 1965, 1964
Drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the 5th round (131st overall) of the 1967 NFL
Draft.

[b]DB Bobby Hunt[/b]
Robert Kenneth "Bobby" Hunt (born August 15, 1940 in Lanett, Alabama) is a former
American football defensive back who played professionally in the American Football
League. He played college football at Auburn University, and went on to play in the
AFL for the Dallas Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, and Cincinnati Bengals between 1962
and 1969. After retirement, he was an assistant coach for the Buffalo Bills.

[b]C Bob Johnson[/b]
Robert Douglas Johnson (born August 19, 1946 in Gary, Indiana) is a former American
football center who played twelve seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals first in the
American Football League, and then in the National Football League. He was an AFL
All-Star in 1968. Johnson was the last original Bengal to retire, and his uniform
number 54 was retired by the team, and remains the only number the team has retired.

Johnson played college football at the University of Tennessee and in 1989 was
inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

He was the first player chosen by the Bengals in their initial season. He was the
second pick overall in the draft, preceded by future Hall of Famer Ron Yary. He was
the second highest center ever selected in an NFL Draft, after Ki Aldrich in 1939.

Following his retirement as a player, Johnson worked as a color analyst on Bengals
radio from 1981 to 1985.

[b]RB Essex Johnson[/b]
Essex L. Johnson (born October 15, 1946 in Shreveport, Louisiana) is a former
professional American football running back for eight seasons for the Cincinnati
Bengals and one season for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Essex was drafted in the 6th round (154th overall) of the 1968 Common Draft by the
Cincinnati Bengals. Essex was drafted as a defensive back from Grambling, but was
converted to halfback once in the NFL. He played for the Bengals from 1968 to 1975,
and left as their career rushing leader. Selected by the Buccaneers in the 1976 NFL
Expansion Draft, he was the expansion Bucs' third-leading rusher, with 166 yards on
47 carries, but was waived early in 1977

[b]DT/DE Willie Jones[/b]

[b]P Rex Keeling[/b]

[b]T/DT Bob Kelly[/b]
Bob Kelly (born Robert Joseph Kelly[1]) is a former professional American football
defensive back. He was a member of the Los Angeles Dons and Baltimore Colts of the
All-America Football Conference.[2]

[b]DT Bill Kindricks[/b]

[b]DB Charlie King[/b]

[b]RB Ron Lamb[/b]
Ronald Lamb (February 3, 1944 – June 20, 2000[1]) was an American collegiate and
Professional Football running back at the University of South Carolina, the American
Football League and the National Football League.

Lamb played collegiately at the University of South Carolina. He was drafted by the
Dallas Cowboys in the 13th round (190th overall) of the 1966 NFL Draft. Lamb played
for the AFL's Denver Broncos (1968)and the Cincinnati Bengals (1968-1969) and the
NFL's Bengals (1970-1971) and Atlanta Falcons (1972).

[b]K Dale Livingston[/b]
Dale Roger Livingston (March 12, 1945, Plymouth, Michigan – January 5, 2009[1]) was
an American football kicker who became the starting kicker on the first season
Cincinnati Bengals team in 1968. Livingston played college football at Western
Michigan University. He played on the 1966 Mid-American Conference Championship team
and was selected to play in the North South All Star Game in 1967. He was inducted
into the Western Michigan University Hall of Fame in October 2007.

Livingston was born in Plymouth, Michigan and resided in Green Bay, Wisconsin at the
time of his death. He had a wife Elizabeth and two sons Dale Jr. and Christopher.

[b]C John Matlock[/b]

[b]G Pat Matson[/b]
Pat Matson (born July 22, 1944 in Laramie, Wyoming) was an American Football League
and National Football League offensive lineman from 1966 through 1975.

[b]LB Wayne McClure[/b]

[b]RB/WR Warren McVea[/b]
Warren McVea (born July 30, 1946 in San Antonio, Texas) was a football player who
made civil rights history by becoming the first African-American to play the sport
for the University of Houston.

McVea, known as "Wondrous Warren" during his high school football career at San
Antonio's Brackenridge High School, was a multi-faceted player, serving as running
back, flanker and a punt/kick return specialist. Offered scholarships by 73 colleges
in 1964, McVea signed with Houston and during his three years on the football team,
earned All-America recognition twice.

McVea holds the distinction of being on the receiving end of the longest pass play
completed in Houston history – a 99-yard reception against Washington State
University on September 23, 1966. That game marked the first football game ever
played on artificial turf.

McVea would go on to play professionally for the American Football League's
Cincinnati Bengals in 1968, then was traded tho the AFL's Kansas City Chiefs for
kicker Horst Muhlmann and a draft choice on September 8, 1969. McVea's timing proved
to be excellent as the Chiefs went on to capture the final American Football League
championship, before defeating the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV on January 11,
1970. During his years in Kansas City, TV commentators referred to him as "The Flea",
reflecting his small size and ability to avoid defenders.

After four more years in Kansas City, McVea signed with the fledgling World Football
League's Detroit Wheels, and was immediately considered one of their top players.
However, one month into the season, McVea was traded to the Houston Gamblers, most
likely due to the precarious financial situation of the franchise. He later finished
out his playing career with a tryout with the Houston Oilers, but injuries
effectively ended the comeback.

McVea's post-football career saw his life unravel when in 1985, he was arrested for
theft after asking a Houston restaurant for food (ostensibly for the poor), claiming
that he was working for the Oilers and promising them free tickets to games.

In 1989, he was convicted and sentenced for setting a female acquaintance's apartment
on fire. Then in 1993, he was arrested for drug possession again and given 25 years
in prison.

Leaving prison for good in 2000, he was inducted in the University of Houston's
Athletic Hall of Fame in 2004, and works as a courier to deliver photo film to retail
stores.

[b]G Dave Middendorf[/b]

[b]LB John Neidert[/b]

[b]G/T Pete Perreault[/b]
Pete Perreault (March 1, 1939 – December 8, 2001[1]) was an American football guard
who played nine seasons of professional football. He played for the American Football
League's New York Jets from 1963 through 1967, for the AFL's Cincinnati Bengals in
1968, then returned to the Jets in 1969.[1] He also played for the National Football
League's Jets in 1970 and the Minnesota Vikings in 1971.

Peter W. Perrault was born in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. He attended Shrewsbury High
School, Cheshire Academy, and Boston University. He was inducted into the Shrewsbury
High School Athletic Hall of Fame in 1991, and is remembered in the Peter Perreault -
Student/Athlete Of The Year Scholarship Award, presented each year since 2003.[2]

[b]LB/TE Bill Peterson[/b]
Bill Peterson was a professional American football player who played linebacker for
five seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals and Kansas City Chiefs[1]

[b]RB/DB Jess Phillips[/b]
Jess Phillips (born February 28, 1947 in Beaumont, Texas) is an American former
professional football player who played running back for ten seasons in American Pro
Football. He began his pro career with the American Football League's Cincinnati
Bengals in 1968, and also played for the NFL Bengals, Saints, Raiders, and Patriots.

[b]DE/DT Dennis Randall[/b]

[b]DT Andy Rice[/b]
Andy Rice (born September 6, 1940) was an American college and professional football
player. He played collegiately for Texas Southern, and went to the American Football
League's Kansas City Chiefs in 1965. After winning the American Football League
Championship with the Chiefs in 1966, he started for them in the first AFL-NFL World
Championship Game

[b]RB Paul Robinson[/b]
Paul Harvey Robinson (born December 19, 1944 in Tucson, Arizona) is a former
professional American football running back for two seasons in the American Football
League and five seasons in the National Football League. Paul Robinson played only
one year at the University of Arizona, but in his first year as a professional, he
gained 1,023 yards rushing and scored eight touchdowns. He was the second man to gain
over 1,000 yards in his first year in professional football in the U.S., the first
being Cookie Gilchrist. He was named to the 1968 and 1969 AFL All-Star Team and led
the 1968 Western AFL All-Star team to victory over the Eastern All-Stars. He was the
1968 United Press International and Sporting News AFL Rookie of the Year.[1]

Robinson is the only running back in professional football history to gain over 1,000
yards in a season for a first-year expansion team (the 1968 Cincinnati Bengals). He
also led the AFL in rushing in his rookie season.

[b]WR Saint Saffold[/b]

[b]DB Bill Scott[/b]

[b]WR Rod Sherman[/b]
High school career

Sherman attended John Muir High School in Pasadena, California.

College career

Sherman played college football at the University of Southern California. He was All
-Pac 10 in 1966.

Professional career

Sherman played for the AFL's Oakland Raiders (1967, 1969) and Cincinnati Bengals
(1968) and for the NFL's Raiders (1970–1971), Denver Broncos (1972) and Los Angeles
Rams (1973).

[b]RB Tom Smiley[/b]
Tommie Belton Smiley, Jr. (born February 18, 1944 in Port Arthur, Texas) is a former
American football player.

[b]DB/K Fletcher Smith[/b]

[b]DB Philip Spiller[/b]

[b]DT Bill Staley[/b]
William "Bill" Patrick Staley (born September 9, 1946) was an American football
player.
College: Utah State Aggies football
NFL Draft: 1968 / Round: 2 / Pick: 1
Debuted in 1968 for the Cincinnati Bengals
Last played in 1972 for the Chicago Bears

[b]QB John Stofa[/b] (Who replaced him on the Dolphins is a whole other story)
John Stofa (born June 29, 1942) son of John and Ann Stofa and a former American
college and professional American football quarterback. He was born in Johnstown,
Pennsylvania and graduated from Bishop McCort High School. He attended the University
at Buffalo where he played as a member of the Buffalo Bulls. He began play in the
American Football League in 1966 for the Miami Dolphins. He played his first two
seasons with the Dolphins and was then traded to the AFL expansion team Cincinnati
Bengals prior to the 1968 season. He was the first Bengal in franchise history,
signing with the team in December, 1967.[1] He played one season (1968) with the
Bengals and returned to the Dolphins for the 1969 season and for 1970, the Dolphins'
first year in the NFL after the AFL-NFL Merger.

[b]TE Bob Trumpy[/b]
Bob Trumpy (born March 6, 1945 in Springfield, Illinois) is a former professional
American Football tight end who played for the American Football League's Cincinnati
Bengals from 1968 to 1969, and for the NFL Bengals from 1970 through 1977. He is
currently an analyst for CBS Radio Sports/Westwood One.

[b]QB Dewey Warren[/b]
He spent one season with the American Football League's Cincinnati Bengals, playing
in seven games in 1968, then coached at Brigham Young University, Kansas State
University, Tennessee, and the University of the South.

[b]RB Ted Washington[/b]

[b]TE Andre White[/b]

[b]WR Monk Williams[/b]

[b]T Ernie Wright[/b]
Ernest Henry Wright (November 6, 1939 – March 20, 2007) was an American professional
football offensive tackle who played for 13 seasons, from 1960 AFL season to 1969 in
the American Football League, and 1970-1972 in the NFL. He was an original Los
Angeles Charger, and LA/San Diego Chargers Hall of Fame coach Sid Gillman called the
tandem of Wright and Hall of Famer Ron Mix "The best pair of offensive tackles in Pro
Football'" He also played for the AFL's Cincinnati Bengals, both in the American
Football League and in the NFL. Wright was a starter for the Chargers in their 51-10
victory over the Boston Patriots in the 1963 AFL Championship game, and was an AFL
All-Star in 1961, 1963 and 1965. He was one of only twenty men who played all ten
years of the AFL's existence.

Wright died of cancer in 2007.

[b]QB/HC Sam Wyche[/b]
Samuel David "Sam" Wyche (born January 5, 1945) is a former American football player
and head coach, who is best known as the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals of the
NFL. Perhaps best known for introducing the use of the No-huddle offense as a
standard offense (as opposed to use at the end of the half), Wyche's greatest
achievement as a head coach was leading the Cincinnati Bengals to Super Bowl XXIII,
which they lost to the 49ers 20–16, relinquishing the lead with only 34 seconds
remaining.

Wyche's 64 wins with the Bengals were the most ever by a coach in their franchise
history, until October 30, 2011 when he was overtaken by Marvin Lewis.

45 years ago today I was 1 day shy of being 3 months old! lol

My dad worked for Fisher Beverage in Cincinnati and hooked up all the draft beer lines in
Riverfront Stadium when it was built. Every Sunday during football season he had to be down
there making sure everything was running right (making sure the beer was flowing smoothly).

When I got old enough (5 yrs old lol) he would take me to work with him and I got to watch the
games on the lower level standing on a couple stacks of old wooden soda bottles crates.
Granted this was 1972. Nowadays there is no way you'd feel safe letting a 5 yr. old run around
a stadium pretty much unattended but there was a couple security people in that section of the
stadium that my dad had become to know pretty well and they'd kind of keep an eye on me while
he worked. First game I saw though was against the Browns. Dont remember the exact date but
I remember it being really cold.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1338075587' post='1132749']
Steve Chomyszak was one of my favorite players. He was the strongest NFL player at the time, benching 610 lbs, squatting 900.
[/quote]

Awesome video, that guy is cool for going offsides and getting his moneys worth on QB's :)

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1338101463' post='1132776']
Awesome video, that guy is cool for going offsides and getting his moneys worth on QB's :)
[/quote]

Don't forget to add the fact he did it to #12 Terry Bradshaw of the Steelers and #7 Dan Pastorini of the Oilers. That made the video even better.

Although the video is of an original player, the video of the sacks were taken probably sometime after 1970 and before 1973.

In addition, be careful about saying money's worth on QBs or Goodell will make bountygate retroactive... 1/2 :ninja:

I was just a sperm cell swimming around in my dad's nut sack. I remember that day clearly though. I was just about to swim between the nuts when the news came on. Both nuts immediately went into squench mode and began to pull up. Had I been there 1 second later I probably would have been crushed. Later that evening something happened that kept pulling at everything around me. A few minutes later I was whisked away, never to return to the comfort of the nuts that I called home. 9 months later I was plopped out onto a table and smacked on the ass. But that's a whole 'nother story.
MULLY

Archived