Game of Thrones

B.A.B.

Kinda late in the season to be starting this thread considering the season finale is SUNDAY.

But....the last episode might be the greatest episode of television I've ever seen. For any show. Anybody else watch this show?

I tried reading the book series with a Book Club. I got through Book 1 and thought it was comically bad. I loathed most of the characters (except Tyrion) and not much happened. After that I had no interest in the TV show

We got season one when it came out. The wife didn't watch after the first episode, too much nudity, language, and simulated sex. After the first episode, they back off with the NLS a bit and do a good job with developing story lines and characters. We don't have HBO at the house but word of mouth made me want to get it and once I started watching, I couldn't stop. Watched all of season one in one weekend.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1338417263' post='1133187']
I had the first season in my hand but it cost fifty bucks! I walked all the way to the front with it and then returned it to the rack.

I love Dexter, really like Walking Dead, and like Breaking Bad. Is it worth buying?
[/quote]

Yeah. Its the best show on TV, IMO. I like Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad is fantastic, but Game of Thrones is simply better.

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1338416950' post='1133186']
I tried reading the book series with a Book Club. I got through Book 1 and thought it was comically bad. I loathed most of the characters (except Tyrion) and not much happened. After that I had no interest in the TV show
[/quote]

Only person I've ever heard that from. I'd watch the tv show anyways. It truly is fantastic.

Season 2 is just...incredible.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1338429911' post='1133228']
Yeah. Its the best show on TV, IMO. I like Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad is fantastic, but Game of Thrones is simply better.

Only person I've ever heard that from. I'd watch the tv show anyways. It truly is fantastic.

Season 2 is just...incredible.
[/quote]

I tried to watch 1 episode. It was the one where the wannabe Genghis Khan poured gold on the "Dragon." Also I think Jon Snow took the fat boy under his wing. I couldn't bear to watch more because I remember being so annoyed by the book.

My friend at work also ridiculed the book. I do think he watches the show, however.

I had the first season in my hand but it cost fifty bucks! I walked all the way to the front with it and then returned it to the rack.

I love Dexter, really like Walking Dead, and like Breaking Bad. Is it worth buying?
[/quote]

Its a great show. I have it all on HBO on demand right now. Give me 50 dollars and I will let you hang out at my house, watch every episode and make you a thing of popcorn. Can you also watch my cat?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1338513777' post='1133402']
I'm catching up on season 2 now...

[url="http://www.couchtuner.com/game-of-thrones-stream/"]http://www.couchtune...thrones-stream/[/url]
[/quote]
DEEEWWWDDD!!!

+1. I've been looking all over for a good one but finding nothing but either HD quality but constant buffer or shitty quality and awful subtitles.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1338524535' post='1133423']
DEEEWWWDDD!!!

+1. I've been looking all over for a good one but finding nothing but either HD quality but constant buffer or shitty quality and awful subtitles.
[/quote]

[url="http://rapidmoviez.com/m/0944947"]http://rapidmoviez.com/m/0944947[/url]

thats a good site if you want to just download it instead of streaming.

[/quote]

Can't really say based on that.. I like some of those shows, too, but they all take place in either a present-day or near-future setting. Thrones is epic dark fantasy & totally different.. Emphasis on the "dark" because I don't really go for much fantasy fiction, but loved the books & I'm enjoying the series, too. It's not so much clear cut good vs evil, there's a little comic relief but even the comedy tends to be pretty dark. This isn't cutesy hobbits frolicking in the woods or lovesick angsty teens with some dragons or vampires or whatever thrown in for color.. Magic does play a part, as do fantastic creatures, but they're presented in a way that makes them more believable than usual, to me anyway, either because the characters react to them in a realistic way (ie, pants-shitting fear/disbelief) and/or they aren't presented as the main focus of the story even when they're central to the overall plot. It's a feudal society with all the blood & brutality that comes along with it.. The characters and their motivations are complex and in some cases not even entirely consistent over time, for various reasons depending on the individual and everything going on around them. It's a dynamic world in a state of violent upheaval and IMO owes as much to Machiavelli as it does Tolkien. I think it's really a story about power & corruption that happens to be told in a fantasy setting.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1338475743' post='1133318']
Its a great show. I have it all on HBO on demand right now. Give me 50 dollars and I will let you hang out at my house, watch every episode and make you a thing of popcorn. Can you also watch my cat?
[/quote]

I ate so much popcorn as a kid one time out of those Christmas bins... I puked everywhere. I honestly have only had maybe 1 bag of popcorn since then. It ruined it for me. Same thing with cinnamon rolls... one had pecans in it (I'm allergic to them) and fucked me up when I was like 8 or something when I was at 4-H Camp. I have never had one since.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1338532472' post='1133430']
Can't really say based on that.. I like some of those shows, too, but they all take place in either a present-day or near-future setting. Thrones is epic dark fantasy & totally different.. Emphasis on the "dark" because I don't really go for much fantasy fiction, but loved the books & I'm enjoying the series, too. It's not so much clear cut good vs evil, there's a little comic relief but even the comedy tends to be pretty dark. This isn't cutesy hobbits frolicking in the woods or lovesick angsty teens with some dragons or vampires or whatever thrown in for color.. Magic does play a part, as do fantastic creatures, but they're presented in a way that makes them more believable than usual, to me anyway, either because the characters react to them in a realistic way (ie, pants-shitting fear/disbelief) and/or they aren't presented as the main focus of the story even when they're central to the overall plot. It's a feudal society with all the blood & brutality that comes along with it.. The characters and their motivations are complex and in some cases not even entirely consistent over time, for various reasons depending on the individual and everything going on around them. It's a dynamic world in a state of violent upheaval and IMO owes as much to Machiavelli as it does Tolkien. I think it's really a story about power & corruption that happens to be told in a fantasy setting.
[/quote]

Absolutely fantastic description of the story. Couldn't have said it better myself if you paid me.

I need to read the books. Unlike most people, I like to go back and read the books of stuff after I saw the tv show or movie. I like having that image in my head of what the character looks like already, because I'm always so fucking disappointed when I read a book and the person they cast to play them looks NOTHING like what I imagined lol

IDK if my buddy was just fucking with me, but he told me there was a guy on there and he was making some chick stick her finger in another chick's ass or some weird shit. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not... I asked him if he was sure we were talking about the same thing and he told me yes.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1338579764' post='1133530']
IDK if my buddy was just fucking with me, but he told me there was a guy on there and he was making some chick stick her finger in another chick's ass or some weird shit. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not... I asked him if he was sure we were talking about the same thing and he told me yes.

[url="http://screencrush.com/snl-game-of-thrones/"]http://screencrush.com/snl-game-of-thrones/[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1338578639' post='1133529']
Absolutely fantastic description of the story. Couldn't have said it better myself if you paid me.

I need to read the books. Unlike most people, I like to go back and read the books of stuff after I saw the tv show or movie. I like having that image in my head of what the character looks like already, because I'm always so fucking disappointed when I read a book and the person they cast to play them looks NOTHING like what I imagined lol
[/quote]

You'll be HOOKED. The books are incredible. I lost the quote of whoever above said they were comically bad; I can see not liking them due to personal taste, but "comically bad" is flat out false. Very well written characters all around and a fantastic story. I just hope GRRM doesn't die before he finishes them, he's going on 2 decades since he started them and he's no spring chicken.

Archived