Game of Thrones

B.A.B.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1338931516' post='1134003']
You'll be HOOKED. The books are incredible. I lost the quote of whoever above said they were comically bad; I can see not liking them due to personal taste, but "comically bad" is flat out false. Very well written characters all around and a fantastic story. I just hope GRRM doesn't die before he finishes them, he's going on 2 decades since he started them and he's no spring chicken.
[/quote]

I said it. And I stand by it. Poorly conceived characters in a pseudo-fantasy rewrite of the War of the Roses, with an aside about an innocent babe who blossoms into a warrior queen. Ugh, give me a break. He's pretty clearly winging it as he writes his cash cow.

Apparently I'm the only one here who feels this way; I'm glad you all enjoy it so. There's no accounting for taste; I'm sure you are all thinking the same about mine.

I was completely wrong about the ending to season 1. It was fantastic though. I do hate the wall storyline with the bastard child though. I could fall asleep during that time in most episodes. Hopefully it becomes better in season two. I'm half-way through the first episode and it looks to be a little more interesting thus far.

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1339007934' post='1134105']
LOL, you might be able to hitch one book or one season of Thrones to War of The Roses, but as Thrones expands it reaches FAR beyond that smallness. With so little quality TV available today, to bag GoT is just silly..
[/quote]

But that's where we differ...I don't consider it quality! I hold it to be annoying. It's expanding in the sense that he's making it up as he goes along...at some point, we all know that the Others from the North or whatever (Ice) will meet Dany and her dragons (Fire)...and as filler, we get the randomness of the story.

Actually, I feel like there must be something wrong with me...everyone I encounter seems to worship this story, whereas I hold it in contempt. Oh, there's a certain admiration for the sheer size of the cast and the scope of the arcs, but the characters are for the most part one-dimensional (except for Tyrion, who for me almost saved the story). In fact, right now I'm reading amazon.com reviews making fun of the books (in particular Dance With Dragons)--if only to assure me that I am not the lone "wolf" on this matter

Okay if you don't like it then GTFO. You expressed your dislike. Still don't give a fuck.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1339008513' post='1134107']
I was completely wrong about the ending to season 1. It was fantastic though. I do hate the wall storyline with the bastard child though. I could fall asleep during that time in most episodes. Hopefully it becomes better in season two. I'm half-way through the first episode and it looks to be a little more interesting thus far.
[/quote]

I love the storyline with Jon Snow. Yeah, it was a little slow, but it gets awesome, and on the last couple episodes...shits just fantastic, specially the very end

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1339012730' post='1134122']
Okay if you don't like it then GTFO. You expressed your dislike. Still don't give a fuck.

I love the storyline with Jon Snow. Yeah, it was a little slow, but it gets awesome, and on the last couple episodes...shits just fantastic, specially the very end
[/quote]

If you don't give a fuck it shouldn't matter if I espouse an opinion that is contrary to your own.

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1339012618' post='1134121']
But that's where we differ...I don't consider it quality! I hold it to be annoying. It's expanding in the sense that he's making it up as he goes along...at some point, we all know that the Others from the North or whatever (Ice) will meet Dany and her dragons (Fire)...and as filler, we get the randomness of the story.

Actually, I feel like there must be something wrong with me...everyone I encounter seems to worship this story, whereas I hold it in contempt. Oh, there's a certain admiration for the sheer size of the cast and the scope of the arcs, but the characters are for the most part one-dimensional (except for Tyrion, who for me almost saved the story). In fact, right now I'm reading amazon.com reviews making fun of the books (in particular Dance With Dragons)--if only to assure me that I am not the lone "wolf" on this matter
[/quote]

Just for reference, what current TV do you consider "quality"?

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1339013812' post='1134129']
Just for reference, what current TV do you consider "quality"?
[/quote]

I only watch a couple of TV shows currently. I'm not sure if I would consider them quality: How I Met Your Mother (in major decline) and Psych, which is goofy fun. And perhaps my stand has been rooted in an unfair position: I have only seen 1 episode of the TV show. My sourness from the first book lingers...maybe the show is better because TV can get away with one-dimensional characters (whereas in a book it is harder to do so), and they had to edit out the more pointless subplots.

Perhaps you have stumbled onto something else: while I can enjoy many things, I do not consider most to be "quality." Most books I read aren't very good, but I am still glad to have consumed them. I'm even glad I read A Game of Thrones although it may not seem that way

Fair enough..
I would say that Thrones isn't necessarily the best show of its ilk currently on TV. I'd still put Breaking Bad, Homeland and maybe The Killing over it. But for sheer magnitude I can't think of a "larger" show that may take several more seasons to really show its hand. They have done a great job of making you hate the people you should hate (Goffrey etc.) and provide plenty of unique very likeable characters (Tirion etc..). And they have made it more than clear that they have no problem with the killing off of main characters..
I would admit that I like S1 over S2, but the last episode of S2 was epic.
Winter's coming, fuckers!

I just finished season two. I have one question in regard to the finale

[spoiler]Why did Snow kill that man from the wall? I thought they were together? The wall storyline seemed pretty slow to me for most of the season, but I thought it was going to be filled with spooks out in the woods. The new village looks sick. Going to be an extremely long wait for S3.[/spoiler]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1339729838' post='1135425']
I just finished season two. I have one question in regard to the finale

[spoiler]Why did Snow kill that man from the wall? I thought they were together? [/spoiler]
[/quote]

[spoiler]It's explained a little better in the book, but essentially it's an attempt to gain the trust of the wildlings. Qhorin (guy from the wall) was notorious among the wildlings and knew they were both likely to be killed - by letting Jon kill him first, he hopes Jon will be spared (as he was) and can act as a spy among them [/spoiler]

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1339817075' post='1135586']
[spoiler]It's explained a little better in the book, but essentially it's an attempt to gain the trust of the wildlings. Qhorin (guy from the wall) was notorious among the wildlings and knew they were both likely to be killed - by letting Jon kill him first, he hopes Jon will be spared (as he was) and can act as a spy among them [/spoiler]
[/quote][spoiler]Thanks. I couldn't understand why John actually killed him. I didn't think there was any spite between the two of them. One more thing I didn't notice until now, but did one of Tyrion's men try to kill him during the battle or was that from the Stannis' or the Lannisters army? He looked like he was wearing Lannister army gear. I thought I heard that Cersei tried to have him killed during war?[/spoiler]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1339824442' post='1135594']
[spoiler]Thanks. I couldn't understand why John actually killed him. I didn't think there was any spite between the two of them. One more thing I didn't notice until now, but did one of Tyrion's men try to kill him during the battle or was that from the Stannis' or the Lannisters army? He looked like he was wearing Lannister army gear. I thought I heard that Cersei tried to have him killed during war?[/spoiler]
[/quote]

[spoiler]Right; that was a member of the Kingsguard doing Cersei's bidding. Or trying to, anyway.[/spoiler]

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1339827408' post='1135596']
[spoiler]Right; that was a member of the Kingsguard doing Cersei's bidding. Or trying to, anyway.[/spoiler]
[/quote]
Clears a lot of things up in the final episode for me. Thank you good sir. Going to be a long year. If I can find some time, I think I will be finding the books to read on.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1339862774' post='1135616']
Clears a lot of things up in the final episode for me. Thank you good sir. Going to be a long year. If I can find some time, I think I will be finding the books to read on.
[/quote]

No sweat! Between this, Boardwalk Empire, Justified & Walking Dead.. Haven't followed this much TV since, well, ever.

• 9 months later...

Current season has been a little slow, but it seems like things are about to pick up.  I didn't see the ending that happened tonight, happening.  I really need to read the books.

Unfortunately I read some possible spoilers and it sounds like one of my favorite characters won't be sticking around for much longer.

Current season has been a little slow, but it seems like things are about to pick up.  I didn't see the ending that happened tonight, happening.  I really need to read the books.

Unfortunately I read some possible spoilers and it sounds like one of my favorite characters won't be sticking around for much longer.

Things are about to get really wild in this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived