Say Goodbye to Large Sodas New York

Go Skins

[url="http://www.ktu.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=451334&article=10165645"]http://www.ktu.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=451334&article=10165645[/url]

[color=#000000][left][background=#ffffff]
New York! (Singing) Concrete jungles where dreams are made of! There's nothing you can't do! Except drink big portions of soda.
According to a new report [" New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg Administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sport arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces - about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle - would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March."] via [url="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html"]The NY Times[/url]

Read more: [url="http://www.ktu.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=451334&article=10165645#ixzz1wSeERY7q"]http://www.ktu.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=451334&article=10165645#ixzz1wSeERY7q[/url][/background][/left][/color]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1338480098' post='1133331']
Yes, but STATES RIGHTS!!!

:ninja:
[/quote]

Because you would rather most every food industry business across the nation had to change their livelihoods in a far sweeping piece of legislation, that the majority of the population would consider to not be the correct answer to a problem? And lest we forget, state law changes tend to vine out very quickly to the rest of the Union, whether it be the good (gay marriage rights), or the bad (universal bans on smoking in places of business).

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1338489029' post='1133347']
Because you would rather most every food industry business across the nation had to change their livelihoods in a far sweeping piece of legislation, that the majority of the population would consider to not be the correct answer to a problem? And lest we forget, state law changes tend to vine out very quickly to the rest of the Union, whether it be the good (gay marriage rights), or the bad (universal bans on smoking in places of business).
[/quote]

I supposed if you consider [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avkFUBzHSw8"]pink slime[/url] food....

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1338490067' post='1133348']

I supposed if you consider [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avkFUBzHSw8"]pink slime[/url] food....
[/quote]

Why is it your concern, much less the governments, what others choose to eat or drink?

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1338517687' post='1133408']
Why is it your concern, much less the governments, what others choose to eat or drink?
[/quote]

Well seeing as the video I posted showed that public schools are feeding kids this pink slime stuff, and seeing as public schools are funded by my tax dollars, I'd say that makes it very much my concern.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1338517838' post='1133409']

Well seeing as the video I posted showed that public schools are feeding kids this pink slime stuff, and seeing as public schools are funded by my tax dollars, I'd say that makes it very much my concern.
[/quote]

There's an easy solution to that problem. Parents who are concerned about that can have their child pack a lunch.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1338518603' post='1133412']
There's an easy solution to that problem. Parents who are concerned about that can have their child pack a lunch.
[/quote]

That include the ones that are on the school lunch program because they cant afford anything else?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1338518927' post='1133415']

That include the ones that are on the school lunch program because they cant afford anything else?
[/quote]

Those families probably also receive food assistance so packing lunch should still be an option. If it's not an option, there should be different food choices available, Many schools have that but Im sure some still dont.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1338519399' post='1133417']
And a number of schools and school systems bar children from bringing a packed lunch.
[/quote]

Really?? Never heard of that.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1338519611' post='1133418']
Those families probably also receive food assistance so packing lunch should still be an option. If it's not an option, there should be different food choices available, Many schools have that but Im sure some still dont.
[/quote]

Or maybe we shouldnt feed the kids pink slime to begin with because were so concern about saving tax payer dollars that we are willing to feed our kids unhealthy meals to do so.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1338519611' post='1133418']

Really?? Never heard of that.
[/quote]

Yep. Guess it stems from rampant paranoia about food allergies. At least in a number of instances.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1338530647' post='1133428']
What does the school lunch program have to do with anything?
[/quote]

Well the thread started off as something nobody likely agrees with, but lets be honest is not that big of a deal, so I made a joke about states rights, and xombie went on about federal trumping state which i entirely agree with but then said something about the food industry having to change their livelyhood. My thought is, so? they arent exactly all moral in that industry as evident by the business practices of Monsanto if you read the article (unrelated to the pink slime), a little regulation to prevent things like pink slime in our school lunches might be a good thing.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1338519726' post='1133419']
Or maybe we shouldnt feed the kids pink slime to begin with because were so concern about saving tax payer dollars that we are willing to feed our kids unhealthy meals to do so.
[/quote]

I think it sounds nasty too, but most of what gets done to give me tasty meat on the grill sounds rather nasty. I haven't seen the studies that say it's unhealthy (any more than a comparable ground beef with the same % of fat). Could you show me the studies where it's unhealthy? And I'd prefer scientific studies. That video is way too agenda-opinion. (and I'm not saying you were trying to present it as anything impartial. Just that I'd like something without bias)

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1338556210' post='1133451']
I think it sounds nasty too, but most of what gets done to give me tasty meat on the grill sounds rather nasty. I haven't seen the studies that say it's unhealthy (any more than a comparable ground beef with the same % of fat). Could you show me the studies where it's unhealthy? And I'd prefer scientific studies. That video is way too agenda-opinion. (and I'm not saying you were trying to present it as anything impartial. Just that I'd like something without bias)
[/quote]

You mean aside from the notion that processed food in and of itself is not healthy?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1338556736' post='1133452']
You mean aside from the notion that processed food in and of itself is not healthy?
[/quote]

Yes, please.

As a taxpayer, you have stated concern specifically for pink slime in the cafeteria as it relates to the health of the children. It is my assumption you find it specifically threatening, and of greater concern than the hamburger itself, or the processed bun, or the processed hotdog, or the processed and deep fried french fries, or the processed mac and cheese, or the processed everything in a cafeteria where your tax dollars are feeding children.

If I'm wrong, and you just don't want processed food in cafeterias, then maybe the pink slime is too narrow a focus for your argument.

I think pink slime is a little nasty, and I try to eat fewer processed foods myself (with varying success), but I don't see how pink slime should cause more turmoil than jello, or anything else a kid eats with processed cow bits in it.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1338565775' post='1133470']
Yes, please.

As a taxpayer, you have stated concern specifically for pink slime in the cafeteria as it relates to the health of the children. It is my assumption you find it specifically threatening, and of greater concern than the hamburger itself, or the processed bun, or the processed hotdog, or the processed and deep fried french fries, or the processed mac and cheese, or the processed everything in a cafeteria where your tax dollars are feeding children.

If I'm wrong, and you just don't want processed food in cafeterias, then maybe the pink slime is too narrow a focus for your argument.

I think pink slime is a little nasty, and I try to eat fewer processed foods myself (with varying success), but I don't see how pink slime should cause more turmoil than jello, or anything else a kid eats with processed cow bits in it.
[/quote]

Well yes, processed food in general is my argument, pink slime was an example, but if you desire the specifics of pink slime itself, look into a[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]mmonium hydroxide.[/font][/color]

Archived