Apple rumors leading up to WWDC 2012

Apps on the Mac App Store are starting to pop up with updates that include retina display support.

As such, it is believed new Macs are coming (also all sorts of other part numbers, and other signs that point to this):

new MacBook Pros
new MacBook Airs
new iMacs
new MacPros (about fucking time!)

Aside from new CPUs and other bumps, everything is supposed to get worked over with retina displays and Thunderbolt. It's also possible the MBPs create a 'semi-Pro' line with retina displays, but with a more Air-like form factor that gets rid of the SuperDrive and the independent graphics card...

Also:
new Airport Express (supposed to be smaller, and have simultaneous dual band like the Extremes)

im so excited I cant see straight. the rom drive is pointless anymore unless you watch movies from disc.. havent used mine in years...

luckily i cant get my friends apple employee discount for 2 months after launch so i will be forced to wait to buy..

but the pics of the MBP being 20% shinner and having a bigger battery and retina display is just too much to pass up.

you win apple:

[img]http://www.timswineblog.com/images/resized/shut-up-and-take-my-money_f489x307_1336859805.jpg[/img]

the airport express is kind of interesting as well... but the MBP overshadows any excitmeent i have for other things..

also the hint of sdk being released for apps for apple tv has me rather excited too...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1339207141' post='1134611']
luckily i cant get my friends apple employee discount for 2 months after launch so i will be forced to wait to buy..
[/quote]

This being Apple, there should be a newer model by then, too

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1339210157' post='1134620']
This being Apple, there should be a newer model by then, too
[/quote]

haha. kinda true actually, usually a few months after a "new model" they fix any bugs hardware wise and sometimes make a small change... like i got an early unibody macbook pro, and two months alter they removed the express slot and put in an SD slot. i was slightly bummed, but i found an express slot SD reader that inserted flush with the edge so it was about the same...

Yeah, I probably haven't touched the SuperDrive on my MBP since CS4 came out. I use the one on my desktop, but only to rip my DVDs and CDs.

The other interesting rumor I read was about them releasing an SDK for the AppleTV. I don't think I care about playing solitaire on the TV, but it would be nice to finally get Hulu, Crackle, and all of the other video apps onto it...

Seems to me this would be a prime opportunity for NFLNetwork to release an app for AppleTV, and just go around Time Warner.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1339251570' post='1134653']
Yeah, I probably haven't touched the SuperDrive on my MBP since CS4 came out. I use the one on my desktop, but only to rip my DVDs and CDs.

The other interesting rumor I read was about them releasing an SDK for the AppleTV. I don't think I care about playing solitaire on the TV, but it would be nice to finally get Hulu, Crackle, and all of the other video apps onto it...

Seems to me this would be a prime opportunity for NFLNetwork to release an app for AppleTV, and just go around Time Warner.
[/quote]

exactly, i just bought a roku for hulu alone... id love to give the roku to the kids for netflix, etc and just use my apple tv for everything...

Now the rumors say the MBP's will be spec bumped, but retain it's current form (no air-like thinning). I'd be more disappointed if I had any intention of buying one.

The Basic configs for the new Mac Pro's are said to be:

[i]Normal configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and the ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip.[/i]
[i]Normal configuration: 2.4GHz 12-core processor, 12GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and the ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip.[/i]

[i]Server configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, Two 1TB hard drives[/i]

Be kinda cool to see one of those loaded up with dual 12-core cpus. :)

10:28 am 220 pixels per inch, 5,184,000 pixels. 10:28 am 15.4" across, pixel density is 2880x1800. 10:28 am "Absolutely stunning." 10:27 am Retina Display confirmed! 10:27 am Lightest pro notebook Apple has ever made. 10:27 am 4.46lbs. 10:27 am 1/4 thinner, about as thin as a MacBook Air. 10:27 am
0.71 inches thin.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1339443193' post='1134901']
LOL

The New MacBook Pro will retail for[b] $2,199[/b] and starts shipping today.
[/quote]

Pretty sure that's for the 17". Most folks opt for the 13" or 15" which start at about $900 less...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1339443364' post='1134902']

Pretty sure that's for the 17". Most folks opt for the 13" or 15" which start at about $900 less...
[/quote]

That's for the 15" with retina display and SSD.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1339443052' post='1134900']
For those of us not that into computers who just use it for internet and word processing soe we get cheap 400-500 computers....what does all of this mean and is this the time to get a cheap apple computer?
[/quote]

No. People who don't do more than surf and write the occasional paper will almost never find value here. Apple has iPads earmarked for that demographic. MacBook Airs and Pros are generally intended for prosumers. Airs tend to go to non-graphic people who need to have a laptop at all times, and place a premium on space and weight. Pros are for the graphics professionals (and enthusiasts).

Where Apple becomes a legitimate option for average consumers is with Mac Mini's, iMacs, and iPads.

Then there's Apple releasing Mountain Lion for $20... That's so badass.

Makes total sense though. That sort of pricing has to keep people upgrading, and limits the legacy nonsense Apple's other software has to work around.

I like the dual band of the new Airport Express, but prefer the old version's form factor.... The new one looks like an AppleTV, complete with full-length power cord. I like just folding out the prongs and plugging the old one into the wall.

I just wish SSD's weren't still so damned expensive. The 256 GB isn't big enough for the amount of music and photos we have, and the 512 GB starts getting prohibitively expensive.

I'm also too cheap to spring for a Thunderbolt NAS or I'd store it all there...

/first world problem whining.

I have several friends who have been pushing me to apply for new jobs (any one of which would give me an instant $15k/year raise). I've been brushing them aside because I really like where I work, and that's somewhat hard to find in my industry.

But damnit if the thought of a new MacBook Pro doesn't have me considering it.

Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about the future of the Mac Pro. The upgrade today is to CPUs that came out two years ago, the GFX card is more than two years old, there's no USB 3, and with no Thunderbolt, Mac's workhorse still can't use Apple's premiere displays... My guess is when Socket B is obsolete, the Mac Pros will go the way of the Xserve.

Archived