Pacman owes 11mill in court judgement

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1339851067' post='1135605']
He's been pretty good here, kinda forget just how out of control he was back then.

(null)
[/quote]

Actually sounds like ... well, tough call. He was a moron for getting involved with or around that sort of situation but it seems obvious to me that the two guys that
got shot are going after the guy they think they can get the most money out of (duh) even though he didn't do the shooting.

[s]Also a possibility it will simply get thrown out altogether.[/s] never mind ...

edited...
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[b] [size=4]Jury orders 'Pacman' Jones to pay $11 million to Las Vegas strip club employees[/size][/b]
[size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Published June 16, 2012[/size][/background][/size]
[size=4]Associated Press[/size][/background][/size]
[/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[list]
[*]
[size=4]June 8: Cincinnati Bengals defensive back Adam "Pacman" Jones catches a pass during a players organized football workout in Cincinnati. (AP)[/size][/background][/size][/background][/size]
[/list][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]LAS VEGAS – Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones must pay $11 million in damages to two Las Vegas strip club employees injured in 2007 when a lone gunman claiming he was doing Jones' bidding opened fire outside the club.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Tommy Urbanski, a club manager who was left paralyzed from the waist down, and Aaron Cudworth, a bouncer who was wounded, stand to collect after the late Friday verdict. Urbanksi's bones were shattered in the shooting that occurred after Jones and several other people were ejected from the club. The shooter later demanded $15,000 from Jones for "services rendered."[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Jones' lawyer, Lisa Rasmussen, said there is no evidence Jones was behind the shooting. She said Jones, who has played five years in the NFL, didn't have the cash to cover the award because he won't receive his first paycheck of the season until September. Rasmussen plans to appeal the verdict.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]"It's obviously a devastating amount for him financially," Rasmussen said. "He has really worked hard to make a comeback with his NFL career."[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]She said the jury in the civil case was likely swayed by the sympathetic sight of Urbanski in his wheelchair and Jones' celebrity.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]"People perceive him as a person who is able to pay $11 million," she said. "Adam doesn't even get paid until he plays his first game."[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Cudworth's lawyer, Richard Schonfeld, declared the verdict fair, saying the bouncer continues to grapple with "constant pain from being shot in the chest and arm." Cudworth was awarded $1.3 million, including $300,000 in punitive damages. The verdict was first reported by the celebrity website TMZ.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]"I am pleased that Mr. Jones has finally been held accountable," Schonfeld said, adding that his client "is pleased to have closure."[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Schonfeld said he wasn't worried about an appeal or Jones' alleged inability to pay the award.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]"If he is making money, I am going to be there trying to collect," Schonfeld said.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Urbanski said by telephone Friday evening that he believes the verdict will send a message to athletes and celebrities that they can be held responsible for public "rampaging," even if they escape criminal charges.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]"They've got to clean up their acts," he said. "All of them."[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Jones was not in court when the verdict came down. Rasmussen said he was attending mandatory training in Cincinnati.[/size][/background][/size]
[size=4]The Las Vegas case stems from a shooting after a strip club brawl on NBA All-Star weekend in February 2007. Police alleged Jones incited the fight by throwing wads of dollar bills toward a stage, then becoming angry when the dancers picked up the money.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Jones and his entourage were removed from the club, and police claimed Jones met briefly with the accused shooter, Arvin Kenti Edwards, before Edwards opened fire.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Jones denied having a role in the shooting. He pleaded an equivalent of no contest to misdemeanor conspiracy to commit disorderly conduct.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Edwards is serving four to 10 years in prison for his so-called Alford plea to attempted murder with use of a deadly weapon. The plea is not an admission of guilt, but acknowledges that prosecutors could have proven the case against him.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]"We always maintained that there was never any direct communication between Adam Jones and the actual shooter," Rasmussen said.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]Jones is slated to speak about his legal challenges at the NFL rookie symposium next week.[/size][/background][/size][size=3][background=transparent]
[size=4]"It's something he has been going through for five years and it has devastated him on many levels," Rasmussen said of the Las Vegas shooting. "Hopefully he will be able to go on and focus on football."[/size][/background][/size][/background][/size][/background][/size][/background][/size]

Read more: [url="http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/06/16/jury-orders-pacman-jones-to-pay-11-million-to-las-vegas-strip-club-employees/#ixzz1xy22nROz"]http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/06/16/jury-orders-pacman-jones-to-pay-11-million-to-las-vegas-strip-club-employees/#ixzz1xy22nROz[/url]

Jones will appeal and might get the judgement reduced. On the face of it though, the amounts aren't especially egregious. I doubt Adam has even 1 mil in assets, he seems like a paycheck to paycheck kind of guy.

When I was in Torts, the joke was that if you hit and maimed someone with your car, you should backup and finish the job. It frequently costs more in a jury award for a crippled plaintiff than a dead one, since the crippled guy will be in the courtroom and can take the stand.

I am still in Torts...and would agree. But dead folks still cost a bundle. What's pounding our clients' bottom lines now are plaintiff attorney fees in federal cases.

I see where this was a Clark County, Nevada case. Could not tell if it was a federal case. If a state action, Nevada has a fairly limiting state tort cap. Federal doesn't.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1339897735' post='1135667']
not when it is up his ass...
[/quote]
I am hoping he can turn his life around and catch a break. If you remember, I was the person who suggested WAY BEFORE he became a Bengal that we should try to get him. I know he has issues, but I think his better days are ahead for him on and OFF the field.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1339859424' post='1135613']
He might be the only player that's on a NFL roster that will be broke and playing for free!
[/quote]

Oh, I doubt that. Given the lifestyles of some of these dudes, he's probably not even the only one on this team.

I'm guessing there are lawyers around with actual knowledge, but this feels more like an opening offer than final bill... I get the feeling these civil trials award excessive amounts initially, because they know that amount will decline significantly upon appeal.

[b] [size=6]Pacman Jones on his past: “I was pathetic”[/size][/b]

Posted by Evan Silva on June 16, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT

Bengals cornerback [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3127/pacman-jones"]Pacman Jones[/url]‘ appointment [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/13/pacman-jones-to-speak-at-nfl-rookie-symposium/"]as speaker[/url] at the NFL’s annual rookie symposium probably drew a few eyerolls from cynics who have every right to be cynical about Jones, considering his long history of transgressions.

But the notion that Jones has turned over a new leaf isn’t a ruse. Bengals rookie cornerback [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7463/dre-kirkpatrick"]Dre Kirkpatrick[/url] says Jones has already taken steps to steer him in the right direction.

“I haven’t had anything negative from him,” Kirkpatrick told the team’s website. “He doesn’t want to see me following in his footsteps. Just being around the wrong people. Surrounding myself with not a lot of positive people. Those are the things that he’s been trying to tell me.”

Jones is blunt when you ask him about his past.

“[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rookies-ready-for-next-stop/0b9ea727-1aa4-481a-9305-c4d0a0d010a1"]I was pathetic[/url],” Jones said. “I had no respect for the money I got. I had respect for football. [But] I acted like I was still hanging out in college. I didn’t realize the scrutiny that came with it.”

Jones says a “big part” of his “message” at the rookie symposium will involve informing young players to stay away from problematic characters from their past, regardless of how long they’ve known them.

“When it gets down to the get-down, none of those guys will be there,” Jones said. “When you hit that dark wall, the only person you can probably call is your mom. You have to get through it. It’s easy to say, but when you go through it, it really hits you.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/16/pacman-jones-on-his-past-i-was-pathetic/

[b] [size=6]Pacman’s lawyer: Verdict “a devastating amount for him financially”[/size][/b]

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 16, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

Shortly after Bengals cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones was [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/15/jury-orders-pacman-jones-to-pay-11-65-million-for-strip-club-shooting/"]ordered to pay $11.65 million[/url] to victims of a 2007 strip club shooting, Jones’s lawyer said that’s more than he can afford to pay.

“[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/06/15/pacman.trial.ap/index.html?eref=twitter_feed"]It’s obviously a devastating amount for him financially[/url],” attorney Lisa Rasmussen told the [i]Associated Press[/i]. “He has really worked hard to make a comeback with his NFL career. He doesn’t make enough money to pay that judgment.”

Although the shooting took place shortly after Jones set off a melee inside the strip club, Rasmussen said there is no evidence that Jones was involved in the shooting. And she thinks the jury’s verdict was motivated by a combination of sympathy for the two injured strip club employees, Tommy Urbanski and Aaron Cudworth, and the belief that Jones is a wealthy celebrity who can easily afford to pay.

“People perceive him as a person who is able to pay $11 million,” she said. “Adam doesn’t even get paid until he plays his first game.”

Yes, it’s true that Jones’s base salary is paid out one week at a time, starting with the first game of the season in September. But Jones has been a professional football player since 2005, when he signed a rookie contract as the sixth overall pick in the NFL draft that guaranteed him $13.5 million. If Jones were smart with his money, he would have a lot of it. Of course, if Jones were smart with his life decisions he wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place. The reality is that he probably doesn’t have anything close to the $11.65 million.

Still, Cudworth’s lawyer, Richard Schonfeld, said whatever money Jones does have, his client deserves.

“If he is making money, I am going to be there trying to collect,” Schonfeld said.

Jones is slated to make $950,000 this season with the Bengals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/16/pacmans-lawyer-verdict-a-devastating-amount-for-him-financially/

[b] [url="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8060014"]OTL - Adam "Pacman" Jones[/url] [/b]

In this OTL story that aired in 2007, Outside The lines examines Adam "Pacman" Jones' Las Vegas strip club incident.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8060014

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1339859424' post='1135613']
He might be the only player that's on a NFL roster that will be broke and playing for free!
[/quote]
I heard (I think on ESPN.) a stat stating many NFL players have very little of their money left three years after leaving the NFL.

Archived