Microsoft Surface

for those who have used it, I'm reading that Office and Google Docs are compatible with each other.  Does that tend to be true?  Looking into some Chromebooks that offer 100GB of Google Doc space.  

Mostly, though I have never been able to get the formatting to carry over from one to the other, regardless of vendor (Word to any other word processor and vice versa).

Mostly, though I have never been able to get the formatting to carry over from one to the other, regardless of vendor (Word to any other word processor and vice versa).

so I think I'm gonna go with the Acer  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aspire-14-touch-screen-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1883079.p?id=1219066386406&skuId=1883079&st=E1-470+-6659&cp=1&lp=1

What are the odds that the price is going to drop as we get closer to Black Friday?  Do a good deal of electronics prices drop during the holidays, or is it generally specific items?  I've never really paid that close attention.  I tend to avoid Black Friday.  I'd also probably rather get it now than have to deal with Black Friday.  Just curious if there's drops in general during the holiday season.

Just wondering if I should get it now, 1 so that she can use it (it took 30 seconds to switch tabs in Chrome yesterday), and 2 to spread out the holiday bills.  

Oh, I can practically guarantee that the price will be dropping, and if you want a really good deal you'd probably be better off waiting until Cyber Monday.

That said, what are your requirements and price limit?  I know I can find you something better than that Acer...

Oh, I can practically guarantee that the price will be dropping, and if you want a really good deal you'd probably be better off waiting until Cyber Monday.

That said, what are your requirements and price limit?  I know I can find you something better than that Acer...

I'd like to stay under $400 (though would love a flip laptop if we could afford it).  

I ended up just telling her that I was going to get her one for Christmas, and we're gonna go play around with some of the ones I tried yesterday, though not necessarily buy one today.

My main requirements:

fast internet

respectable processor

can do the typical computer stuff, pictures, videos, strong enough to run office if need be (stuff like webcams are afterthoughts)

optical drive preferrable but not required

preferrably 320GB hard drive, but that's not a huge deal.  she won't use too much hard drive space.

the touchscreen on the acer is a nice perk, but not super required.  Mainly like it as it will help with the adjustment to Windows 8.

Mainly looking for something that's still going to be functional and respectable 6-7yrs from now and work for my kids' schoolwork, etc.  (keep in mind my level of respectable is different than yours. :P )  (for example, I'm running windows 7 on a Athlon dual core processor, and I'm pretty happy even though I know that's not a top line processor).

do you think it will be dropping much before Black Friday/Cyber Monday?  

Cyber Monday I can handle, I'd rather pay the extra $100 than deal with Black Friday.

I state that it will drop because let's face it; most people don't want Windows 8 laptops and haven't since they came out.  New models are always coming out and they need to move the old ones.  How much it will drop I can't say, but it will drop. 

Thanks for the clarification on your needs.  I'll come up with a list later on today.  Also keep in mind that if you buy from Newegg or Amazon you won't have to pay sales tax which will save you a few bucks as well.  Also, I want to make clear that the specs on the Acer laptop are just fine so it's not like you made a poor choice in that regard.  I just don't like Acer.  They use crappy components and tend to have more issues than other manufacturers, and when you do have an issue their support is some of the worst in the industry.  My recommendations for manufacturers, in order:

Lenovo

Asus

Sony

Toshiba

Dell

Acer

HP

Unless you're buying an Apple laptop, you'll be hard press to find a better laptop than a Lenovo. 

I state that it will drop because let's face it; most people don't want Windows 8 laptops and haven't since they came out.  New models are always coming out and they need to move the old ones.  How much it will drop I can't say, but it will drop. 

Thanks for the clarification on your needs.  I'll come up with a list later on today.  Also keep in mind that if you buy from Newegg or Amazon you won't have to pay sales tax which will save you a few bucks as well.  Also, I want to make clear that the specs on the Acer laptop are just fine so it's not like you made a poor choice in that regard.  I just don't like Acer.  They use crappy components and tend to have more issues than other manufacturers, and when you do have an issue their support is some of the worst in the industry.  My recommendations for manufacturers, in order:

Lenovo
Asus
Sony
Toshiba
Dell
Acer
HP

Unless you're buying an Apple laptop, you'll be hard press to find a better laptop than a Lenovo.

X2 I would not buy a dell, hp, or acer at this point and I used to love dell machines.

Lenovo

Asus

Sony

Toshiba

Dell

Acer

HP

ah well, she decided to get the Acer today, what can I say.  I told her about your offer, but we're both kind of "we want to be able to test it out" type people when it comes to buying purchases that big and we weren't sure if what you would find was something we'd actually be able to go to a store and test out.  She tested out the Acer and just loved it, she really sold herself on having a touchscreen laptop, and we both wanted to purchase now rather than later so that it wasn't on the same month of bills with the other $400 or so of Christmas shopping we had left.  

Thanks for your help though.  It helps to talk out these kinds of things, even if it just helps clarify for my own self what it is we're really looking for.

so I think I'm gonna go with the Acer  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aspire-14-touch-screen-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1883079.p?id=1219066386406&skuId=1883079&st=E1-470+-6659&cp=1&lp=1

What are the odds that the price is going to drop as we get closer to Black Friday?  Do a good deal of electronics prices drop during the holidays, or is it generally specific items?  I've never really paid that close attention.  I tend to avoid Black Friday.  I'd also probably rather get it now than have to deal with Black Friday.  Just curious if there's drops in general during the holiday season.

Just wondering if I should get it now, 1 so that she can use it (it took 30 seconds to switch tabs in Chrome yesterday), and 2 to spread out the holiday bills.  

/offtopic

that kind of scenario is how my wife ended up owning a nissan sentra instead of a honda civic 10 years ago.... worst call of my entire life....

Archived