Any Web Designers?

I'm trying to build a more professional looking site for a professional association that I'm trying to start. Right now I have a pretty generic one being hosted by godaddy and it's getting to the point where I need something more professional looking. I have no clue what kind of price I would be looking at, and web design language isn't my thing, so I thought I would ask here. Anyone have any idea of price? Or know of anyone they would recommend?

Price depends on what you want on the site. The more complex or large the higher its going to cost. That's probably where you want to focus your thoughts, get an idea of what you want so that whomever does your site can have a good idea of what its going to cost. If you go in with a vague idea and keep changing things as you go it will run up your costs. Best thing you can do is figure out and know what you want in your site.

I have images and those kinds of things. I don't really want anything that's "too busy" if that makes any sense? But a more professional layout, more professional payment page. I was going to use a paypal payment page, but I've had nothing but problems from them. I would like more professional looking navigation tabs. I want to add membership software but the script is like a foreign language to me. The web address is www.narcp.org. It will give you some kind of idea of what I have and what I'm looking for.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1340388979' post='1136354']
I have images and those kinds of things. I don't really want anything that's "too busy" if that makes any sense? But a more professional layout, more professional payment page. I was going to use a paypal payment page, but I've had nothing but problems from them. I would like more professional looking navigation tabs. I want to add membership software but the script is like a foreign language to me. The web address is www.narcp.org. It will give you some kind of idea of what I have and what I'm looking for.
[/quote]

A very brief look at this gives me the following questions.

All same content just a new design? What are you looking for in terms of membership software? What is it supposed to do/offer? I'm assuming the payment page is for paying for membership. (in that case that's the one area I dont really mess with, so puttwitty might be a better resource)

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340390342' post='1136359']
A very brief look at this gives me the following questions.

All same content just a new design? What are you looking for in terms of membership software? What is it supposed to do/offer? I'm assuming the payment page is for paying for membership. (in that case that's the one area I dont really mess with, so puttwitty might be a better resource)
[/quote]

Pretty much the same content but a more professional look. The membership software allows you to create members only areas, coupons, protect content, manage databases better. It's probably further down the road. It's a script that you plug in once you configure it. It just looks like it's missing something to me as far as the design. I just followed a generic template but the traffic and facebook page is really picking up, a few have joined but some of the feedback I'm getting is to spruce it up a little more, maybe add some flash. None of which I'm very good at.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1340392248' post='1136362']
What I think it really needs is a logo that can go on top of the page. Anyone design logos?
[/quote]

I can, any ideas as to what your looking for specifically?

I was thinking of NARCP with a large group of people in the background with stethescopes around their necks (shadow figures?), or NARCP with a stethescope wrapped around it? or something that relates to the lungs. What would something like that cost me?

My expertise is in ASP.Net programming, which makes the membership stuff very easy. Everything I saw that on that page can be ported into ASP.Net rather easily. The membership stuff isn't hard to setup on top of that.

As for payment processing, that's a little bit of a pain no matter what technology you're using. Actually, it's not so much the setup that's the problem, but the costs. It's generally easiest to buy some shopping cart software to plug in to your site, which will be a couple bucks (or a couple hundred, depending on which way you go. You get what you pay for). Also, as is in the case in all credit card transactions, you'll be paying a usage fee with every transaction.

I can look into it more this weekend to get more definitive prices, but that's a quick overview.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1340408685' post='1136395']
My expertise is in ASP.Net programming, which makes the membership stuff very easy. Everything I saw that on that page can be ported into ASP.Net rather easily. The membership stuff isn't hard to setup on top of that.

As for payment processing, that's a little bit of a pain no matter what technology you're using. Actually, it's not so much the setup that's the problem, but the costs. It's generally easiest to buy some shopping cart software to plug in to your site, which will be a couple bucks (or a couple hundred, depending on which way you go. You get what you pay for). Also, as is in the case in all credit card transactions, you'll be paying a usage fee with every transaction.

I can look into it more this weekend to get more definitive prices, but that's a quick overview.
[/quote]

PHP for life, BITCHES!

:ninja:

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1340424204' post='1136443']
no ninja
[/quote]

Oh, there's definitely a ninja there. No one in their right mind would do development in PHP after using .NET. Hell, I used to teach .NET classes to life-long Java people, and even they almost always admitted that .NET was much easier than Java. If you know how loyal Java folk are to their framework, then you'll understand just how big a deal that is.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1340439040' post='1136447']
Oh, there's definitely a ninja there. No one in their right mind would do development in PHP after using .NET. Hell, I used to teach .NET classes to life-long Java people, and even they almost always admitted that .NET was much easier than Java. If you know how loyal Java folk are to their framework, then you'll understand just how big a deal that is.
[/quote]

as a .net developer and an MCSD, I actually liked PHP as it reminds me of old asp, which asp.net mvc is trying to do as well. But Java is still #1 in terms of government work simply because of MS's reputation for security

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340452247' post='1136453']
as a .net developer and an MCSD, I actually liked PHP as it reminds me of old asp, which asp.net mvc is trying to do as well. But Java is still #1 in terms of government work simply because of MS's reputation for security
[/quote]

And LAMP > .NET IIS for security as well.

And I'm not judging the ease of use of either as I'm a shitty programmer regardless of the platform...

Archived