Frustrating as HELL - printer help

I am trying to hook up a printer... which has worked for months, maybe even a year now. Anyway, sometimes my printer will go offline on me and the only way I can get it working again is to go to

Devices and Printers

then delete the thing and then re-add it. Well, this morning it's not working with me. I am readding it like I normally would but it will not let me print. I am in Quickbooks and it's showing everything is normal and the printer is ready. I go to print and nothing will show up at all. Earlier this morning it showed up as an error. I've deleted and reinstalled probably 15 times today and it's not working. It's showing "printer error. needs troubleshooting". The crazy thing is, the guy across the hallway, his computer will print from it and mine won't. We are each hooked up to the same router and that router takes ya to the printer/fax machine. Faxes are still coming through... the damn thing just won't let me do anything.

When I trouble shoot, it doesn't find anything wrong. On the Devices and Printers page... son of a bitch, it just switched as I was typing this from "trouble shooting" to "ready". There's 2 documents in queue but they're still not printing.

I just restarted them and nothing is happening again. It's not Quickbooks as Adobe and Word won't print anything either. Can anyone help?

Add Printer

Add local printer

Choose printer port (it has a bunch and I don't remember this from all the times before) I choose LPT1: (Printer Port)... it was already on it.

Install the print driver. i choose my computer... Brother MFC-7360N Printer

Printer Names

Printer Sharing

Test Page won't print... I've skipped the test page and went straight to my printing but it wont work either.

This time around on trouble shooting is said another paper is in queue and it won't allow me to print my stuff. it said to try again because it fixed the problem. im the only one printing. it did the same thing... went back to trouble shooting

Have you checked the manufacturer website for the latest drivers and software? If there is anything newer, download it. Uninstall the current printer and delete any existing drivers. Install the new software\drivers.

Another option would be to remove the printer, delete the existing drivers from the corresponding Windows directory, and have Windows re-install the printer (if W7 'cause it actually does a pretty good job of installing them by itself).

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1340906891' post='1137088']
I had to run to Columbus for something so no, not yet, Elflocko. When I'd delete after I added earlier, [b]I'd go back and the printer I deleted was back with an error[/b]. Really strange stuff.
[/quote]

Ohhhhh. I take it you're running Vista or W7?

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1340907062' post='1137089']
Ohhhhh. I take it you're running Vista or W7?
[/quote]

Windows 7 Home Premium

What's this VAIO stuff? I always just close it when it pops up. Is it anything worth working with?

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1340899509' post='1137071']
[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/software/detail-page/B001AMHWP8-1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

still won't fix poorly written / sorry ass print drivers and software. And, they're getting worse instead of better - especially in a network environment. And, HP is the worst offender of all.

I hooked up an old HP printer to make due for right now. I hate HP but that's all I have right now. HP Printers = 6 months of life. It still doesn't make any damn sense to me since the dude across the hall can use it and I can't.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1340985833' post='1137233']
still won't fix poorly written / sorry ass print drivers and software. And, they're getting worse instead of better - especially in a network environment. And, HP is the worst offender of all.
[/quote]

naturally, printer issues and river problems are going to happen, especially the less you spend both on the printer and the PC. but buying a $120 printer and a mac has resulted in not a single printer problem at all in 3 years. just bought a nice new wide format canon, no problems at all, both installed into the time capsule usb port for wireless printing... so flawless my wife installed it and uses it with no problems on her own...

if you buy a $49 printer and a $349 dell special(not accusing the thread starter of that, just giving an example) then your going to spend hours if not days of your life getting the two peices of cracp to work together. threads like this are why i converted to mac, whether its a printer or a video card driver, or a windows update making a video card not work for months until the video card manufacturer releases an update, etc. its a circle of nightmares... my post was partially in jest of course, but lets be honest, if i swung by his house and plugged that printer into a macbook i think we all know that thing would work immediately... especially since his neighbor can print to it or whatever he mentioned..

apples arent magically better, they are stupid proof (95% anyway), shit is written simply and just works.. best move iever made.. worth every red cent..IMO anyway..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1341178664' post='1137457']
naturally, printer issues and river problems are going to happen, especially the less you spend both on the printer and the PC. but buying a $120 printer and a mac has resulted in not a single printer problem at all in 3 years. just bought a nice new wide format canon, no problems at all, both installed into the time capsule usb port for wireless printing... so flawless my wife installed it and uses it with no problems on her own...

if you buy a $49 printer and a $349 dell special(not accusing the thread starter of that, just giving an example) then your going to spend hours if not days of your life getting the two peices of cracp to work together. threads like this are why i converted to mac, whether its a printer or a video card driver, or a windows update making a video card not work for months until the video card manufacturer releases an update, etc. its a circle of nightmares... my post was partially in jest of course, but lets be honest, if i swung by his house and plugged that printer into a macbook i think we all know that thing would work immediately... especially since his neighbor can print to it or whatever he mentioned..

apples arent magically better, they are stupid proof (95% anyway), shit is written simply and just works.. best move iever made.. worth every red cent..IMO anyway..
[/quote]

I agree with your sentiment to a degree... keep it as simple as possible. But I have 4 laptops and a desktop (which is the physically attached device to printer) and all print flawlessly to the printer and have for years. Most of it has to do with the printer you choose. What I have found, more often than not working in the field, is the vast, vast majority of printer issues reside at the printer. They're just a dumb device... even the smart ones are still dumb devices.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1341182619' post='1137462']
When are Macs going to be competitive with PC's for gaming? Until that happens hardware-wise, I will never switch. I love PC games too much.
[/quote]

even the lamest mac mini can game in antive resolution, the 27" imac has AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB and a 3.1 quad core, you can game balls out on that no problem..

what are you waiting for?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1341333757' post='1137684']
I agree with your sentiment to a degree... keep it as simple as possible. But I have 4 laptops and a desktop (which is the physically attached device to printer) and all print flawlessly to the printer and have for years. Most of it has to do with the printer you choose. What I have found, more often than not working in the field, is the vast, vast majority of printer issues reside at the printer. They're just a dumb device... even the smart ones are still dumb devices.
[/quote]

agreed, either spend the money or spend your time. its gonna cost you one way or another. and at this point i dont have the time or patience, "it just works" is worth every penny to me in the end..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1341334005' post='1137686']
agreed, either spend the money or spend your time. its gonna cost you one way or another. and at this point i dont have the time or patience, "it just works" is worth every penny to me in the end..
[/quote]

the worst thing Microsoft came out with several years ago was "Plug and Play"... it gave off this impression that hilljack redneck could go to walmart, buy the $69.99 HP inkjet printer, plug up his parallel port cable, and everything would "just work"...

Uh... yeah right.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1340983180' post='1137223']
Windows 7 Home Premium

What's this VAIO stuff? I always just close it when it pops up. Is it anything worth working with?
[/quote]

Sorry, I had to make a trip back to the Pit of Despair (Kettering) for my nephew's wedding this past weekend (hooray for power outages).

There is a sporadic issue with W7\Vista where deleted printers show back up (same with wireless connections). There's a KB for it out there somewhere but now I can't find it though I'll keep looking.

And by "VAIO Stuff" I'm guessing your computer is a Sony? If it's offering to manage the printer for you it might be worth a shot until I can find that damned article...

Archived