Reds angered by snub of Cueto, Phillips

SAN FRANCISCO — Who did not make the All-Star Team for the Reds overshadowed who made it. Joey Votto was voted in by the fans. Aroldis Chapman was voted in by the players. And Jay Bruce made on the coaches’ selection.

Brandon Phillips and Johnny Cueto did not make it. Reds manager Dusty Baker directly blamed Tony LaRussa, who will manage the National League team, for that. He thinks brawl between the Reds and the Cardinals led to the snub.

“I’m happy for the guys who made it big time, especially for Chapman,” Baker said. “You figured that Joey would make it. We knew Jay had an outside chance. You also figured that Johnny Cueto and Brandon Phillips had a great chance. I don’t understand that one.

“A snub like that looks bad. Johnny and Brandon were at the center of skirmish between us and the Cardinals. Some of Cardinals who aren’t there anymore are making some of the selections.”

Baker knew the media would play up his comments.

“Maybe they should,” he said.

Cueto is 9-4 with a 2.26 ERA. He’s fifth in the NL in ERA this year and first over the last two years. Phillips is hitting .288 with 10 home runs and 46 RBI. He is the best defensive second baseman in the league.

Baker did not talk to LaRussa.

“Too late now,” Baker said. “What are we going to talk about now? If you’re going to talk to me, you talk before. If they wanted my opinion, they would have asked. I’m sure it’s not just Tony’s decision.”

Votto addressed the snub of Cueto and Phillips as well.

“It’s kind of difficult to be overly happy today, considering the two guys I thought were shoo-ins aren’t going to be on the team,” he said. “That’s frustrating. I knew I was going to be an All-Star. I was hoping those two guys, the five of us, would go to Kansas City. As much as I don’t want to get into pissing contest right now, as happy as I am for myself and Jay, I’m disappointed for the two guys who are very, very meaningful to this first-place ballclub.”

Phillips declined to speak for reporters, but Cueto minced no words.

“I see that I have great numbers,” he said. “I thought the way I pitched this year, I’d have a chance to go to the All-Star Game. I don’t know what happened. I don’t if know the manager of All-Star Game is pissed at me because I went out with one of his girlfriends.”

Does he think the fight with St. Louis, in which Cueto kicked Jason LaRue in the head, led to him not getting picked?

“I don’t know if they base their selection on the brawl,” he said. “That’s not the way it should be. . . They should pick and choose players by their numbers.”

Votto finished third in the overall NL voting with 7,343,110. Two Giants — Buster Posey and Melky Cabrera — finished first and second with 7,621,370 and 7,521,784.

“To get so many votes is an accomplishment,” Votto said. “I appreciate it.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/07/01/reds-angered-by-snub-of-cueto-phillips/

I'd rather our pitchers not pitch in the all-star game, but that's just me.

B.Philly was highway robbery though. He is the best second baseman in the national league.

I didn't really think either were a horrible snub.

Hill is more deserving than Phillips, and he didn't make it either.

For Cueto... the whole NL pitching staff is a mess. Looks like they chose pitchers by wins instead of more meaningful stats. Cueto deserved it in my mind, but a couple other great guys got passed over also. Cueto pitching the Sunday before is a legit excuse, but IMO he should still get the honor of being selected.

Bruce making it was a gift.

Archived