iCloud

I am over my head with this stuff. I am trying to be productive with this stuff and take advantage of all the cool free stuff but I am struggling.

I just got me a 4s iPhone. It's great. I enabled iCloud and DL'd it on the PC here. I thought iCloud automatically synced it all together or at least made the photos I took with my iPhone available on the PC. That is the idea, right? I downloaded everything and it's open but my pictures aren't showing up anywhere. When I open iCloud it just opens up this Task Manager or Control Panel or whatever they call it. What am I doing wrong?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1341922175' post='1138424']
I have it set up now. It's not as cool as I thought it would be but it's still okay. I could see why people would want it off.
[/quote]

I've been less than enamored with it as well, if for no other reason than I find it opaque, for lack of a better word. The synching across all of your devices is slick, but I liked .mac better. There's the folder, and there's all my stuff. I find myself making more use of DropBox these days...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1341935328' post='1138445']
I've been less than enamored with it as well, if for no other reason than I find it opaque, for lack of a better word. The synching across all of your devices is slick, but I liked .mac better. There's the folder, and there's all my stuff. I find myself making more use of DropBox these days...
[/quote]

My friend "appled" his house he said. I guess there's a box for TV that he can control with his iPhone or something like that. He seemed stoked about it. I am looking into it......

Also, I was at the ATT store the other day and there's wireless ear phones for $100 that look SWEET. Also, for $100 there's the phone charger/phone case. It looks great too. I wonder if there's any other goodies I don't know about.

setting up my own "cloud" server this weekend with a Synology Diskstation

the plan is to use it as a media server for streaming movies to my mac mini (HTPC) as well as providing remote access to files/pictures/music/movies stored on the NAS with a mac or PC. Theres also a few other neat features.

anyone ever use one of these before? This my first time doing something like this and although im sure there are cheaper ways to get what I need, this seemed like a good balance of simplicity and capability.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1341937457' post='1138450']
My friend "appled" his house he said. I guess there's a box for TV that he can control with his iPhone or something like that. He seemed stoked about it. I am looking into it......

Also, I was at the ATT store the other day and there's wireless ear phones for $100 that look SWEET. Also, for $100 there's the phone charger/phone case. It looks great too. I wonder if there's any other goodies I don't know about.
[/quote]

that box is apple tv. i have 2 of them, it streams netflix, etc, you can buy movies, but best of all, any movies i download and toss into itunes, can be streamed. the box comes with a remote, but there is a remote app for the iphone, i only use my phone when i cant find the remote (its tiny) its kind of a pin in the ass to use your phone for it, you have to wake it up, and click the app again..

it also has NBA league pass and mlb extra innings apps installed, and i have access to both of those, so i watch reds games in full HD with reds announcers on my tv's..

living in the reds home market this is useless however.. works great here though..

i cloud isnt that great, but it does save app data and stuff so if you lose your phone, sync from the cloud you get all your apps as well as high scores and account data as it was..

its like a mini time capsule..

the web or "home" interface is usesless, i wish it had galleries to see photos and share them, but no biggie.. i use picasa app for that..

and i would give the mac computer s try someday.. its worth it.. after the 1-3 week "break in period" os the close box being on the left side of the screen and other small differences, its great..

using a PC at work it feels like someone is standing on my penis and pulling my nose hairs while i work.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1341963248' post='1138488']
and i would give the mac computer s try someday.. its worth it.. after the 1-3 week "break in period" os the close box being on the left side of the screen and other small differences, its great..

[b]using a PC at work it feels like someone is standing on my penis and pulling my nose hairs while i work.[/b]
[/quote]

:24: :24: :24:

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1341949795' post='1138465']
setting up my own "cloud" server this weekend with a Synology Diskstation

the plan is to use it as a media server for streaming movies to my mac mini (HTPC) as well as providing remote access to files/pictures/music/movies stored on the NAS with a mac or PC. Theres also a few other neat features.

anyone ever use one of these before? This my first time doing something like this and although im sure there are cheaper ways to get what I need, this seemed like a good balance of simplicity and capability.
[/quote]

Synology makes a kick-ass product. They were one of (the?) first to support Thunderbolt and have one of the best management interfaces for home use. I've not been able to convince my accountant that I really need one yet, but it's definitely on the wish list...

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1341972395' post='1138516']
I have a bad habit of pulling out my nose hairs. I seriously do it about every day. How they come back so quick I don't know. Sometimes I don't get any, sometimes I get three... it's weird.

How much is Apple TV?
[/quote]

$99

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1341972793' post='1138517']
$99
[/quote]

Thanks.

I looked into it last night. Sounds like a good deal. I may grab one. Does it offer anything free or is it solely just to stream from your iTunes or iDevice?

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1341963847' post='1138492']
Synology makes a kick-ass product. They were one of (the?) first to support Thunderbolt and have one of the [b]best management interfaces for home use[/b]. I've not been able to convince my accountant that I really need one yet, but it's definitely on the wish list...
[/quote]

thats what sold me on it. Seems simple enough that I, as someone relatively new to all this, can manage it

As far as the Apple TV and internet TVs, i had looked into that stuff and there were a couple things that made me decide not to go that route:

First, Apple TV is limited to 720p (or at least it was last year when i considered it, that may have changed) which was a deal breaker for me.

Second, they are limited with file types they can play.

This is what lead me to go the HTPC route with a media center software like plex or XBMC that, in the words of Elflocko, "can play Hieroglyphics" and stream 1080p all day long

apple tv is full 1080p currently... since before xmas.. so 9 months or so...

everything is limited to what files it can play, and there are free converters for any OS. i use isquint on mac, hell i put two whole seasons of white collar and converted at once from avi to mp4, took like an hour, isqint automatically adds it to itunes, i know some PC converters do as well.

converting a 2 hr movie takes maybe 25 minutes, tops, i do 4-5 at a time...

ill take $99 + minor converting time over HTPC all day. i was VERY VERY close to going HTPC route, i was gonna get a mac mini and hook it up centrally in the house going to each tv in the house, but the apple TV was just an easier and much cheaper option, even if i buy 4 of them, which i probably will...

and i use the previous 720P version on my 46" 1080p LED, and the reds games streaming look GREAT on there.. i will probably grab 2 of the 1080p new ones when im done in the basement, put one in my office and one in the theater room.

both have pros and cons... apple tv is a much cheaper option to get rolling...

set up the Disk station this weekend

they really do make that thing stupid simple to set up. Hardly took any effort to set up accounts and make it accessable across my home network

getting access form the internet was a bit more tricky as my router was somehow not compatible with their auto-configure option....but after taking a little time to learn about static ip's and port forwarding and whatnot she was up a running like a champ!

they have pretty awesome moile support too

nerd boner!

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1342017248' post='1138547']
thats what sold me on it. Seems simple enough that I, as someone relatively new to all this, can manage it

As far as the Apple TV and internet TVs, i had looked into that stuff and there were a couple things that made me decide not to go that route:

First, Apple TV is limited to 720p (or at least it was last year when i considered it, that may have changed) which was a deal breaker for me.

Second, they are limited with file types they can play.

This is what lead me to go the HTPC route with a media center software like plex or XBMC that, in the words of Elflocko, "can play Hieroglyphics" and stream 1080p all day long
[/quote]

as Go mentioned, ATV3 is now 1080p. As far as limiting the files, not as big of a deal as you might think. You can either a) download handbrake and convert... Very easy, it even has a "apple tv" specific converter. or b.) jailbrake it and install XBMC. I did this just last week after using my ATV2 for about 6 months and loving it so far. now I can a crap load more apps including Hulu, CBS, ESPN, MLB Network... etc.

Cannot jailbrake the ATV3 just yet (or so I hear) but shouldn't be too much longer. Even without jailbraking ATV is is the shit!!! Coupled with my usenet account and handbrake, it has made my transition away from cable awesome... I would never have built the library I have if it wasn't for that.

[quote name='bengalrick' timestamp='1342449546' post='1139085']

as Go mentioned, ATV3 is now 1080p. As far as limiting the files, not as big of a deal as you might think. You can either a) download handbrake and convert... Very easy, it even has a "apple tv" specific converter. or b.) jailbrake it and install XBMC. I did this just last week after using my ATV2 for about 6 months and loving it so far. now I can a crap load more apps including Hulu, CBS, ESPN, MLB Network... etc.

Cannot jailbrake the ATV3 just yet (or so I hear) but shouldn't be too much longer. Even without jailbraking ATV is is the shit!!! Coupled with my usenet account and handbrake, it has made my transition away from cable awesome... I would never have built the library I have if it wasn't for that.
[/quote]

i keep wanting to break away from cable, but its not quite there for me yet. too much leisure tv watching and the kids tv watching... wouldnt fly they just watch whatever is on..

but i use my apple tv daily.. absolutely everyday... love it..

video monkey replaced isquint basically, and works great, downloaded and converted the entire 5th season of mad men in about 2 hours total..and i was able to start watching within 45 minutes, since video monkey tosses them in itunes as it completes each file, i really really want to get my basement done so i can have a permanent media hub going there, storing movies and shows on my macbook pro sucks in a few ways..leaving it open and on is the worst of it... but 3.5 years its still cranking strong...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1342912702' post='1140082']
...i really really want to get my basement done so i can have a permanent media hub going there, storing movies and shows on my macbook pro sucks in a few ways..leaving it open and on is the worst of it... but 3.5 years its still cranking strong...
[/quote]

I keep ALMOST grabbing a refurb Mac Mini for just that purpose. Considering the savings in Energy by leaving a Mini on all the time instead of the Mac Pro, it would probably pay for itself pretty quick.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1343081636' post='1140326']

I keep ALMOST grabbing a refurb Mac Mini for just that purpose. Considering the savings in Energy by leaving a Mini on all the time instead of the Mac Pro, it would probably pay for itself pretty quick.
[/quote]

it just seems perfect for that purpose.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1342912702' post='1140082']
i keep wanting to break away from cable, but its not quite there for me yet. too much leisure tv watching and the kids tv watching... wouldnt fly they just watch whatever is on..

[b]but i use my apple tv daily.. absolutely everyday... love it..[/b]

video monkey replaced isquint basically, and works great, downloaded and converted the entire 5th season of mad men in about 2 hours total..and i was able to start watching within 45 minutes, since video monkey tosses them in itunes as it completes each file, i really really want to get my basement done so i can have a permanent media hub going there, storing movies and shows on my macbook pro sucks in a few ways..leaving it open and on is the worst of it... but 3.5 years its still cranking strong...
[/quote]

I have had apple tv for about 2 weeks.. How the hell did I go this long without it??? I freaking love it...

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1343264563' post='1140734']
I have had apple tv for about 2 weeks.. How the hell did I go this long without it??? I freaking love it...
[/quote]

We use ours almost every night. I wish it was a little more flexible (SD card slot) but we totally lover ours as well.

Archived