Latinos in Baseball

This doesn't just go for Latinos, but there's a ton that play here, so...

And is baseball popular in other countries outside of North American and Central America?

Anyway, with the high volume of Latinos in the sport, does anyone else wonder if steroids play a part in it? I remember going to Mexico and being able to buy steroids right over the counter. It was just a normal drug store. I just went inside to see if the rumors were what I heard... and yes, everything you can imagine just sitting there. I don't remember seeing HGH but everything else (stanz, dianabol, equipoise (sp.)) all sitting right there. It was definitely different.

If I were living in Mexico, and stuff like that was easily accessible, I'd be shooting up, especially if it meant getting me out of dirty ass Mexico.

There is not a lot of players that come from Mexico. A majority of the players considered Latino come from Cuba, The Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico.

The main reason a lot of baseball players come from those countries is because baseball is really the only main sport they have. Kids in those countries grow up just playing baseball. In America kids just don't grow up just playing baseball. They play football, basketball, golf, soccer, and baseball. A lot of the kids that are great athletes end up playing football because football is more popular now. In a lot of the Latino countries the best athletes start with baseball and stick with it.

Several of the Latino countries have baseball academies all over the place for kids to join. Almost every major league team has sent instructors to these countries to teach and scout kids. MLB is putting a lot of money in some of these countries to develop talent. They realize that their best bet to find the next best athlete is in the Dominican Republic rather than in America.

I am sure steroids play a part in some of it but I think that there is just a lot of money being spent to develop talent in these countries.

It comes down to factors like what sports they can afford to play where they live and the fact that in America kids have a wider variety and don't spend all their time doing just one. That's why baseball and soccer are so big in Latin America. You can make a baseball field or soccer field almost anywhere.

There are far fewer Canadians, as far as that goes.

Would love to see a satirical interview with Votto asking him about the adjustment to living in the US, language barrier etc. A segment of him preparing a poutine with some Celine Dion playing in the background.. Interviews in his hometown filmed "on location" in an Inuit village.. You get the idea.

Archived