I just want a chicken sammich!

Bartledoo

I'm for states rights and local control...until I'm not.
I'm much more interested in the mechanics of sex than I am in the divinity of love.

And while I'm getting all worked up about these social and cultural issues, I'm going to ignore the upcoming contest between a Democrat who makes Herbert Hoover look liberal and a Republican who does a really good impersonation of a Robber Baron.

And the landscape gets bleaker and more desolate all the time....

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1343865118' post='1142354']
I'm for states rights and local control...until I'm not.
I'm much more interested in the mechanics of sex than I am in the divinity of love.

And while I'm getting all worked up about these social and cultural issues, I'm going to ignore the upcoming contest between a Democrat who makes Herbert Hoover look liberal and a Republican who does a really good impersonation of a Robber Baron.

And the landscape gets bleaker and more desolate all the time....
[/quote]

Sometimes you hit the nail squarely on the head. Your sarcasm is noted regarding the bleak and desolate landscape.

This election will be the most important in recent history. I only wish that there was another option.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1343866006' post='1142356']
Sometimes you hit the nail squarely on the head. Your sarcasm is noted regarding the bleak and desolate landscape.

This election will be the most important in recent history. I only wish that there was another option.
[/quote]

Thats what they say every single fucking election.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1343866006' post='1142356']
Sometimes you hit the nail squarely on the head. [b]Your sarcasm is noted regarding the bleak and desolate landscape.[/b]

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that was the only part of his post that wasn't sarcastic...

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1343878822' post='1142441']

How do you feel about Mexican crab legs? Too spicy?
[/quote]
Si Senor, muy caliente. California Burrito and a (five) margarita(s) though, mmm. Dammit, now I really am starving!
done derailing, back to discussing how much Jesus loves Chick-fil-A.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1343855119' post='1142306']

Here are five reasons why Chick-fil-A isn't what you think:
1) Chick-fil-A has [url="http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/chick-fil-a-has-spent-5-million-trying-to-stop-gay-marriage/discrimination/2012/07/02/42684"]donated at least $5 million[/url] to organizations (including a certified hate group) that, among other things, [url="http://www.glaad.org/cap/tony-perkins"]depict gay people as pedophiles[/url], [url="http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/newly-christened-hate-group-frc-spews-lies-on-hardball/bigotry-watch/2010/11/29/15567"]want to make "gay behavior" illegal[/url], and even [url="http://www.glaad.org/cap/peter-sprigg"]say gay people should be "exported"[/url] out of America.
Even if you oppose same-sex marriage, do you really want to support a company that advocates putting gay people in jail, or "exporting" them, just because they're gay?
2) Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy didn't merely say he supports traditional marriage. Dan Cathy [url="http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/07/with-latest-comments-chick-fil-a-can-no-longer-deny-anti-lgbt-feelings.html"]said[/url] if you support gay marriage, you "are inviting God's judgment on our nation," and that we "shake our fist at Him" when we do. Dan Cathy also said same-sex marriage is the result of a "deprived" mind and [url="http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/07/exclusive-more-from-chickfilas-prez-redefinition-of-marriage-is-twisted-up-stuff-god-left-us-victim-to-the-foolish.html"]called it[/url] "twisted up kind of stuff."
Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you really think gay marriage is "inviting God's judgment on our nation"? Haven't we all heard enough blame from those who claim to speak for the Lord, like after Katrina or, more recently, after the shooting in Aurora, Colo.?
3) Chick-fil-A supports organizations that have claimed they can change gay people into straight people -- "[url="http://www.truthwinsout.org/blog/2012/06/26582/"]pray away the gay[/url]" -- despite the fact that practically every major medical organization has stated that this is not only impossible but dangerous and harmful.
Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you support fake "science" that is known to harm the very people it claims to help?
4) The media keep saying Chick-fil-A has never discriminated, but the truth is that Chick-fil-A has been sued over a dozen times for employment discrimination. That's what a leading business publication, [i]Forbes[/i], [url="http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html"]stated[/url] in 2007, when they also called Chick-fil-A a "cult" and reported that Chick-fil-A's founder and CEO Truett Cathy said he wanted to hire married people because they are more industrious and productive. Truett Cathy has also said he would probably fire someone who "has been sinful or done something harmful to their family members."
Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you want to support what some call a "cult" whose CEO says he would fire employees for "being sinful"?
5) Chick-fil-A is just exercising their First Amendment rights by running a business based on the Bible, right? Wrong. There's a line between the "free exercise of religion" and violating the law. If Chick-fil-A is violating the law by discriminating against gay people, or by firing women so that they can be "stay home" moms, as one woman who is suing Chick-fil-A [url="http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/chick-fil-a-sued-for-firing-pregnant-woman-so-she-could-be-a-stay-home-mom/legal-issues/2012/07/26/44701"]says[/url] in court documents, that's not exercising religious expression or free speech, and that's not a First Amendment issue. It may be, if the court decides, a violation of the law.

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-badash/chick-fil-a-5-reasons-it-isnt-what-you-think_b_1725237.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-badash/chick-fil-a-5-reasons-it-isnt-what-you-think_b_1725237.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009[/url]
[/quote]

I read this retort somewhere else. It falls beside the point. This controversy is about what Dan Cathy said - CFA didn't start donating to anti gay groups right when he said he supported traditional marriage. It also cherry picks information to push its point (classic HuffPost "journalism"). I'd be interested to know what these groups do APART from gay issues lobbying.

I'm not ashamed to say that the "hate chicken" crowd are unabashedly wrong. If you are fighting for equal rights, squawking and name calling like a bunch of children is not going to get you taken seriously.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1343916874' post='1142490']
I read this retort somewhere else. It falls beside the point. This controversy is about what Dan Cathy said - CFA didn't start donating to anti gay groups right when he said he supported traditional marriage. It also cherry picks information to push its point (classic HuffPost "journalism"). I'd be interested to know what these groups do APART from gay issues lobbying.

I'm not ashamed to say that the "hate chicken" crowd are unabashedly wrong. If you are fighting for equal rights, squawking and name calling like a bunch of children is not going to get you taken seriously.
[/quote]

Clearly you missed the fact about why he was asked about it. That video I posted was kind of silly but it was made entirely before his interview to begin with. This issue about where Chick Fil A money was going was discussed way before Mr. Cathy said what he said. So no, you my friend are wrong in this case. It's not about what he said, its about his actions with his money that support groups that limit the freedoms of others. Classic right wing diversion

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1343918955' post='1142496']
Clearly you missed the fact about why he was asked about it. That video I posted was kind of silly but it was made entirely before his interview to begin with. This issue about where Chick Fil A money was going was discussed way before Mr. Cathy said what he said. So no, you my friend are wrong in this case. It's not about what he said, its about his actions with his money that support groups that limit the freedoms of others. Classic right wing diversion
[/quote]

Just my take...

here are his comments
[quote]"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that...we know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."[/quote]

Customers aren't being discriminated against at his restaurants (as the idiot mayor of Boston has alluded to). They treat all customers with respect regardless of whatever orientation and IMO have the best chicken sandwich. If former employees were wrongfully fired then they should file lawsuits...but 7 total for a fast food franchise??? That is nothing, a blip.

If people would read his comments, frankly, if anyone should be angry it should be all the folks that have been divorced... he makes comments about that as well regarding "married to our first wives"... He didn't pass judgement on anybody - he was asked an opinion and that is when this whole flap blew up. His donations and all that other stuff has been there for quite awhile. It wasn't ever an issue then... why is it now?

I'm about done with all this crap. How was he to answer the question? He answered it honestly with his belief and that has started this firestorm. The donations are bullshit - those have been there for years. I mean, good lord, I've sent my son to a Fellowship of Christian Athletes football camp the last two summers. Yeah... they were horrible. Had notable local Christian men (University of Tennessee football players, UT's chaplain, etc.) along with nationally known Christian men (Tony Dungy, etc.) come in and speak to the boys about living a Christian life... yep, and I'd do it again. There are a lot worse things in the world.

Since we're boycotting crap now (since someone has a differing opinion) and that seems to be the theme of the day... anybody got a listing of actors, athletes, business owners that support (publicly and through donations) abortion rights and gay marriage rights? I guess I need to get onto the train as well...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1343921254' post='1142498']
Just my take...

here are his comments

Customers aren't being discriminated against at his restaurants (as the idiot mayor of Boston has alluded to). They treat all customers with respect regardless of whatever orientation and IMO have the best chicken sandwich. If former employees were wrongfully fired then they should file lawsuits...but 7 total for a fast food franchise??? That is nothing, a blip.

If people would read his comments, frankly, if anyone should be angry it should be all the folks that have been divorced... he makes comments about that as well regarding "married to our first wives"... He didn't pass judgement on anybody - he was asked an opinion and that is when this whole flap blew up. His donations and all that other stuff has been there for quite awhile. It wasn't ever an issue then... why is it now?

I'm about done with all this crap. How was he to answer the question? He answered it honestly with his belief and that has started this firestorm. The donations are bullshit - those have been there for years. I mean, good lord, I've sent my son to a Fellowship of Christian Athletes football camp the last two summers. Yeah... they were horrible. Had notable local Christian men (University of Tennessee football players, UT's chaplain, etc.) along with nationally known Christian men (Tony Dungy, etc.) come in and speak to the boys about living a Christian life... yep, and I'd do it again. There are a lot worse things in the world.

Since we're boycotting crap now (since someone has a differing opinion) and that seems to be the theme of the day... anybody got a listing of actors, athletes, business owners that support (publicly and through donations) abortion rights and gay marriage rights? I guess I need to get onto the train as well...
[/quote]

Once again you people are entirely missing the point.

I dont care if he has his views, I care that he is actively perusing the limitations on freedoms of his fellow citizens. And I'm embarrassed by people who act as if going to Chick Fil A yesterday was akin to storming the beaches of Normandy.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1343924075' post='1142509']
Once again you people are entirely missing the point.

I dont care if he has his views, I care that he is actively perusing the limitations on freedoms of his fellow citizens. And I'm embarrassed by people who act as if going to Chick Fil A yesterday was akin to storming the beaches of Normandy.
[/quote]

Do you boycott Nike? You know due to sweatshop labor? Or does their pro-gay support trump that?

But, to your second statement. The argument continues to be brought up about his donations, etc. which have been ongoing for several years... but, only in the last week and a half has the GLBT community made the call for boycotting... why now all of a sudden?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1343928621' post='1142525']
Do you boycott Nike? You know due to sweatshop labor? Or does their pro-gay support trump that?

But, to your second statement. The argument continues to be brought up about his donations, etc. which have been ongoing for several years... but, only in the last week and a half has the GLBT community made the call for boycotting... why now all of a sudden?
[/quote]

Does Nike infringe on the freedoms of other citizens? Nice deflection of the central issue at hand.

uhm the LGBT community has been calling attention to Chick Fil A for a while now, I pointed that out in the video I posted.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1343929495' post='1142528']
Does Nike infringe on the freedoms of other citizens? Nice deflection of the central issue at hand.

uhm the LGBT community has been calling attention to Chick Fil A for a while now, I pointed that out in the video I posted.
[/quote]

Someone is deflecting...

running a sweatshop isn't infringing on citizens' rights? Is that not akin to slavery? My point being that you can find something about every company that you disagree with...

Then where did the boycott CFA uproar come from within the last week and a half? Because most people here weren't aware of any of this crap until 2 weeks ago or less.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1343930531' post='1142530']
Someone is deflecting...

running a sweatshop isn't infringing on citizens' rights? Is that not akin to slavery? My point being that you can find something about every company that you disagree with...

Then where did the boycott CFA uproar come from within the last week and a half? Because most people here weren't aware of any of this crap until 2 weeks ago or less.
[/quote]

We run sweatshops in the US? And I think you know my record on complaining about multinationals.

Most straight people who dont pay attention to the LGBA issues werent aware of it yes.

My biggest complaint is people acting as if they are defending freedom by supporting Chick Fil A. That is absolutely laughable, and exactly the opposite of what you are doing.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1343930715' post='1142531']
Most straight people who dont pay attention to the LGBA issues werent aware of it yes.

My biggest complaint is people acting as if they are defending freedom by supporting Chick Fil A. That is absolutely laughable, and exactly the opposite of what you are doing.
[/quote]

my SIL is one of the biggest GLBT supporters that I'm aware of and she ate at Chick Fil A about 3 weeks ago and now magically has facebook postings like crazy about how she is boycotting CFA and will never eat there again... I'm being serious in that I don't understand, other than the interview Cathy had, what has been the catalyst for this huge outcry against the company.

Also - so I understand where you're coming from... how do you feel about the "kiss in" that the GLBT community is planning for tomorrow? They're doing it to support their views. IMO, I think the turnout of people yesterday was nothing more than a statement of how they feel about gay marriage in general, moreso than freedom of speech. Now, that is just my opinion on that though.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1343931862' post='1142537']
my SIL is one of the biggest GLBT supporters that I'm aware of and she ate at Chick Fil A about 3 weeks ago and now magically has facebook postings like crazy about how she is boycotting CFA and will never eat there again... I'm being serious in that I don't understand, other than the interview Cathy had, what has been the catalyst for this huge outcry against the company.

Also - so I understand where you're coming from... how do you feel about the "kiss in" that the GLBT community is planning for tomorrow? They're doing it to support their views. IMO, I think the turnout of people yesterday was nothing more than a statement of how they feel about gay marriage in general, moreso than freedom of speech. Now, that is just my opinion on that though.
[/quote]

So a bunch of gay people are going to kiss in front of chick fil a? Exactly how does that infringe on anyone's rights?

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1343932000' post='1142539']
Any way the wind blows.

Also, where was the outrage after his 2008 clip? Hypocrites.
[/quote]

Oh he's a politician like any other, but good job making it about somebody/something it's not.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1343932238' post='1142542']
So a bunch of gay people are going to kiss in front of chick fil a? Exactly how does that infringe on anyone's rights?
[/quote]

It doesn't. Neither does supporting a company that has the same belief system as you do...
They're no different from one another. Each is outwardly supporting their own belief system. We can argue the belief system itself all you want. That is different.

Do you think the GLBT community would be satisfied to be allowed civil unions, which would extend all the legal comforts they desire?

Archived