XSi wont autofocus with certain lenses..

I have two Canon XSi cameras. I have the standard 18-55 IS lens and a 60mm Macro, and a 70-300 IS USM lens.

My wife and i were shooting a wedding this weekend, and out of no where, about 1,000 shots in, her unit, using the standard lens, stopped autofocusing, if put into manual, it worked, but not on auto. it would act like it as focusing then freeze and the camera would do nothing.

we switched bodies, and it worked fine on the other body, and the other lens worked fine on her body.. later we switched back and they all worked on all bodies.

but the issues kept happening off and on, over and over, which when shooting a wedding, is rough, you cant be missing those "once in a lifetime" moments.. etc..

i dont even know where to start, from googling, it seems perhaps some connectors lost connects to the lens, but i didnt notice anything obviously wrong or dirty on either.

anyone ever seen this or have any advice?

I can't say that I've ever seen that specifically... but I had a 30D and a 40D and two 580EXII flashes...

I had both set up to run the flash from the off-shoe cords - occasionally, didn't matter what configuration, which cord, etc. the flash would just not work on the 40D. I mean, right in the middle of shooting. I could take it off and immediately it'd work on the 30D fine. But I couldn't take the flash from the 30D, put it on the 40D and it work again. I talked with Canon and short of sending to them (to troubleshoot, etc. which I could not having it during that timeframe) the only other suggestion they offered was to pull the battery pack out, and then remove the thin memory battery, wait 30 seconds, re-insert, put battery pack back in and go from there.

It worked, and I made do, but it made it difficult when I was shooting a soccer complex with 1100 kids and trying to keep frame numbers straight (since the battery pull reset everything including frames numbers)... not exactly alike, but similar in its "screwiness"... was really frustrating, in the middle of shooting individual photos having to take camera off bracket, pull battery, etc. and then put back together and so no.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1344965261' post='1146173']
I can't say that I've ever seen that specifically... but I had a 30D and a 40D and two 580EXII flashes...

I had both set up to run the flash from the off-shoe cords - occasionally, didn't matter what configuration, which cord, etc. the flash would just not work on the 40D. I mean, right in the middle of shooting. I could take it off and immediately it'd work on the 30D fine. But I couldn't take the flash from the 30D, put it on the 40D and it work again. I talked with Canon and short of sending to them (to troubleshoot, etc. which I could not having it during that timeframe) the only other suggestion they offered was to pull the battery pack out, and then remove the thin memory battery, wait 30 seconds, re-insert, put battery pack back in and go from there.

It worked, and I made do, but it made it difficult when I was shooting a soccer complex with 1100 kids and trying to keep frame numbers straight (since the battery pull reset everything including frames numbers)... not exactly alike, but similar in its "screwiness"... was really frustrating, in the middle of shooting individual photos having to take camera off bracket, pull battery, etc. and then put back together and so no.
[/quote]

Odd, and indeed similar in odd in that it works off and on...i didnt know whether to care since I am planning to upgrade to 60d units anyway. but if its the lenses thats the issue its going to happen again and if its ONLY going to happen when im taking 3,000 shots, then thats tough to test out...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1344966842' post='1146181']
Firmware?
[/quote]

i checked canon websites for firmware, the last firmware was released in 2008, so i assume its up to date, but i havent actually checked them.. i cant remember when i got them honestly..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1344969468' post='1146198']
Odd, and indeed similar in odd in that it works off and on...i didnt know whether to care since[b] I am planning to upgrade to 60d units anyway[/b]. but if its the lenses thats the issue its going to happen again and if its ONLY going to happen when im taking 3,000 shots, then thats tough to test out...

i checked canon websites for firmware, the last firmware was released in 2008, so i assume its up to date, but i havent actually checked them.. i cant remember when i got them honestly..
[/quote]

You are going to [b]love[/b] that camera...

Archived