Voter Suppression

MichaelWeston

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1345122010' post='1146852']
The finger pointing is hilarious... both parties do this shit. Wake up people... don't stand there and point at one group as though your affiliated party is holier than thou... they all do it. Does it make it right, no.

I do agree that all people that go to vote should have to provide some type of photo ID... to what extent that is allowed, not sure, as a lot of stuff is VERY easy to forge and there is historical proof that both parties (largely democrat though) drum up voters (a lot of them dead) that manage to drag themselves out of the grave and get to the booth. Walk in, give a name, and vote without proving who you are or anything?

The repubs trying to give only those in the military the extended voting times is hilarious... are they shipping out in those couple days? They'd know well in advance. If you do open it, just open it to all. Can we not just dump both parties and start over? Please?

Oh, and love the latest... "oh, you don't like my opinion? Well fuck you." Very classy. This is a Bengals board folks with political talk as a sub forum... remember we're all Bengals fans... Now I remember why I've tried to steer clear of this forum lately.
[/quote]

As I've mentioned before, election fraud is nothing new. And you are right, both parties have engaged in it. Where were you in 76 when I was bitching about Carter stealing votes in Ohio? One could try to deal with each transgression in itself or one can call a pox on all parties involved. I think you've made your position clear quite often.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345123289' post='1146866']
As I've mentioned before, election fraud is nothing new. And you are right, both parties have engaged in it. [b]Where were you in 76[/b] when I was bitching about Carter stealing votes in Ohio? One could try to deal with each transgression in itself or one can call a pox on all parties involved. I think you've made your position clear quite often.
[/quote]

I was not quite 1 year old yet!

I agree with dealing with each transgression... provided that both parties are seen for the flaws that exist. One tries to suppress voter turnout, the other brings dead people to vote.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1345124696' post='1146884']
[/quote]
Lol. That's no excuse!

[quote]I agree with dealing with each transgression... provided that both parties are seen for the flaws that exist. One tries to suppress voter turnout, the other brings dead people to vote.
[/quote]
In the Carter instance, it was a case were a shitload of people gave the same address--which was a parking lot.

After the 2000 election, a youthful and generally optimistic friend of mine told me that he had thought about it some and had concluded the Bush had stolen the election. I mentioned JFK and Chicago in 1960 and LBJ early electioneering. Broke his cherry. He's less optimistic nowadays.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1345124696' post='1146884']

I agree with dealing with each transgression... provided that both parties are seen for the flaws that exist. [b]One tries to suppress voter turnout, the other brings dead people to vote[/b].
[/quote]

Does Quantity matter? If on one hand you had 1 out of 1000 Blue guys who broke the rules and on the other 687 out of 1000 Red guys who broke the rules...can the discussion of the solution really not get off the ground unless we are sure to include the 1 Blue guy? I would argue that while "they both do it" is intrinsically correct, its dishonest to the true nature of the problem, that the Red guys break the rules at a such a high frequency that we begin to conclude there is something to being "Red."

That was just a hypothetical but it relates to this topic as the "they all do it" hammer has come down from the red leaning posters without regard to [url="http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/03/voter_id_card.html"]a documented increase in proposed legislation[/url] to reduce "voter fraud" since republicans ran away with the 2010 mid-terms despite few [url="http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/12/02/381172/reince-priebus-voter-fraud/"]actual documented[/url] [url="http://votingrights.news21.com/interactive/election-fraud-database/"]cases[/url] of [url="http://www.truthaboutfraud.org/pdf/TruthAboutVoterFraud.pdf"]voter fraud[/url] in the last decade.

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment, both sides are bad. Republicans, though, have quantitatively demonstrated that they are CURRENTLY a lot worse about this than Democrats. To deny that is to be dishonest and take a bite out of anyone's integrity who claims to want to fix the problem. A step back from the situation will reveal that Republicans gained many seats in Congress and state legislatures on the campaign of fiscal responsibility and job creation, then proceeded to spend a significant portion of their efforts attacking falsehoods like voter fraud and social issue like abortion (the number of anti-womens rights legislation that has been proposed since 2010 is astronomical, it is a true hockey stick graph).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[url="http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/think-the-florida-recount-was-bad-just-wait-until-november-6/263901/"][size=3][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][i]While the nation fixates on stamping out non-existent voter fraud with photo-ID requirements, the perils of electronic voting go unchallenged.[/i][/font][/size][/url]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][quote][color=#000000]In order for the states to improve their voting systems, they needed money. And HAVA authorized nearly $4 billion for the upgrade. The states gobbled up the money. And so did the electronic-voting companies. HAVA, we were told, was an example of bipartisan success, where both the winners and losers of 2000 had come together to protect the rights of all Americans to have their votes counted as accurately and fairly as possible. The only problem with the story, and the law, was that the money found its way into the wrong hands around the same time that the public oversight required by the law was turning out to be a sham.[/color][/quote][/font][/size]

[b] [url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/election-2012-election-day_n_2008656.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012"][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Election 2012: Ahead Of Decision Day, Efforts Intensify To Misinform, Pressure Voters[/font][/size][/url][/b]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][quote][color=#333333]Killian said he received a call from a man who identified himself as an employee of the Florida Division of Elections. Killian said he refused the caller's offer to cast his vote by phone then reported the call to local elections officials.[/color][/quote][/font][/size]

[url="http://www.salon.com/2012/10/15/karl_rove_tied_to_shady_gop_operative_nathan_sproul/"]GOP consultant Nathan Sproul has been accused of electoral misconduct. It's no surprise then who he's tied to.[/url]

Disclaimer: I once asked Charles Gonzalez' father to run for President. Got a nice reply; shame he didn't do it.

[url="http://prospect.org/article/whats-truth-about-true-vote"]What's The Truth About True The Vote?[/url] (part 1)

[url="http://prospect.org/article/true-votes-true-agenda"]True the Vote's True Agenda[/url] (part 2)

[url="http://www.thenation.com/blog/170415/are-true-votes-poll-watching-activities-illegal#"]Are True the Vote's Poll Watching Activities Illegal?[/url]

[url="http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/22/error-filled-instructions-are-sent-to-ohio-voters/"]Error-Filled Instructions Are Sent To Ohio's Voters[/url]

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351245881' post='1174668']
Maricopa County in AZ (Phoenix) has been handing out bilingual voter info where the Spanish-language versions list the wrong date.
[/quote]

Yep, but it's only on the stuff they have been handing out at the government offices.. And according to numbers obtained from years before they had voter ID laws only a handful of people even pick those up....

:29:

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1351252283' post='1174680']

Yep, but it's only on the stuff they have been handing out at the government offices.. And according to numbers obtained from years before they had voter ID laws only a handful of people even pick those up....

:29:
[/quote]

From what I understand, it came with new Voter Registration cards, too. They were handing them out at Bookman's, too, which is a fairly large (and awesome) local used book/media chain.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351300327' post='1174884']
From what I understand, it came with new Voter Registration cards, too. They were handing them out at Bookman's, too, which is a fairly large (and awesome) local used book/media chain.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was the point of my sarcasm.. "But the only cards that we fucked up are the ones we give out to people when they are registering to vote, or at the place where they get the state ID card they need to vote with because we passed Voter ID laws"... Derp..

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1351302456' post='1174895']
Yeah, that was the point of my sarcasm.. "But the only cards that we fucked up are the ones we give out to people when they are registering to vote, or at the place where they get the state ID card they need to vote with because we passed Voter ID laws"... Derp..
[/quote]

Ha, missed the sarcasm. Hard to tell around here sometimes.

I still don't understand why people are against having to show an ID to prove who you are to vote. Hell, in Kentucky if the cops stop to check you on the street they take you into custody until they can verify who you are. Then if you have an ID that has an address different from your current residence they fine you for that! So if you have to move, every time you do you have to go pay for a new up to date ID. What kind of racket is that?

Seriously if they want to fix voter fraud, everyone should have to show some kind of ID, State ID, Driver's License, School ID, whatever...

Because it's a red herring. In person voter fraud almost never happens. I'm not saying there isn't voter fraud, but the kind that exists and is actually dangerous isn't being addressed. The only thing that these laws really accomplish is disenfranchisement.

It just seems to me, that the only people it would hurt are illegal aliens and those people that think showing their ID is somehow going to help track what they do, and be an infringement of their rights. There just are some things in life when you have to prove who you are. Banks won't let you start an account without an ID. Doctor's won't see you without ID. You can't get a legal job without 2 forms of ID to fill out an I-9 form. You can't get a library card without an ID. I think you can see where this is going. Showing ID to vote is trivial compared to all the other places that it is mandatory.

I just got this link from someone else. I have never heard of the web site, and I have no idea if it is credible or not, but apparently the U.S. agreed to let United Nations representatives to monitor 42 balloting stations across the country. I'm honestly not sure to make of it.

http://www.reagancoalition.com/articles/2012/20121026006-un-list-observation.html

Archived