Voter Suppression

MichaelWeston

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1351614749' post='1175615']
I understand EXACTLY what you're saying here... my simple question was if the voting machines were 100% legit, there was no controversy of any sort with regard to suppressing any vote, etc. would you have an issue with requiring a voter to show some form of photo ID to get a ballot? Simple question.

Remove the rest of the bulshit - [b]simple yes or no.[/b] This is more of just my own curiosity at this point.
[/quote]

No.

Photo is unnecessary. Proof of residence (utility bill etc.) is good enough for me to believe you live in this town and should be voting in this town. Adding a "photo" to the requirement means all those voters who don't have a driver's license or a passport must now take an extra step before they go to vote. The added step is the only thing of importance. "Every citizen can vote" and "every citizen who has means and time to get to city hall to get a new ID issued after filling out a series forms can vote" are TWO RADICALLY DIFFERENT THINGS whose main purpose, which has been stated numerous times in this thread, is to demoralize specific voting demographics.

On top of all the logic that has demonstrated just how ridiculous these attempts are, I want everyone to peel back and contemplate the voting habits of our population. [url="http://www.factcheck.org/2009/01/2008-voter-turnout/"]In 2008 38% of eligble voters didn't cast a ballot[/url]. That is 150 million citizens who have a voice but chose to stay silent. 150 million people can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes choosing representatives who will make decisions directly impacting their daily lives. I laugh at the clowns, yes the few of you in here, who think there is an epidemic of rabid voters forging illegal ballots and bouncing from district to district casting the all important deciding vote in upwards of 20 times! "We must stop these monsters from trampling all over the dignity of the Electoral College and the only way to do that is mandate that everyone has a photo ID!"

What kind of democracy is this that our leaders (read: republicans that have gained congressional, senate, and State gov. seats in 2010) have spent the better part of 2 years working to INCREASE that 150 million by re-districting and enacting voter ID laws rather than decrease that number?

I voted in Alexandria, VA yesterday. I have lived there for almost 4 years. Prior to that, Woodbridge, VA. Four years ago, in Woodbridge, the voting machines were electronic. Last year, in Alexandria, they were electronic.

Yesterday, paper ballots, you didn't have a machine as an option. Once you filled out the ballot, you put the ballot into the machine and the machine would say "your vote has been counted".

Apparently, Alexandria passed some law for voting. Paper can get shredded just like machines can be hacked.

In addition, I got my voter card last month in the mail, which in VA is an acceptable form of ID to vote. No photo needed. You can use a utility bill as well as ID.

In Prince William County, VA....

[url="http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/nov/09/principi-calls-long-waits-polls-voter-supression-ar-2348358/"]http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/nov/09/principi-calls-long-waits-polls-voter-supression-ar-2348358/[/url]

Prince William Supervisor Frank Principi, D-Woodbridge, said that something needs to be done to eliminate waiting times at polling places.
On Tuesday lines were so long in some precincts that election officials had to keep several polling places open well past the official 7 p.m. closing to allow citizens who arrived on time the chance to vote.
At the River Oaks Precinct at Potomac Middle School outside Dumfries, wait times were four to five hours. The last voter didn’t cast their ballot until 10:45 p.m.
Principi said more machines were needed to ease the strain, particularly on the east end of the county.
“The combination of antiquated technology and too few machines, and the management operations of the elections themselves, made for a really bad experience on the part of tens of thousands of eastern Prince William voters,” Principi said.
Principi said that he believed the registrar’s office had requested $350,000 in carry-over money to support the 2012 election, which he said could have been used to buy additional machines to support the county’s larger voting population.
On Election Day, 154,278 people voted in person in Prince William County, according to unofficial results from the State Board of Elections, compared to 134,495 voters in 2008.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352476378' post='1178937']
Does Virginia not have early voting?
[/quote]

VA doesn't offer it. They have absentee in cases of being military and a few other exceptions.

Some people I know in MD waited in lines for 2 hours for early voting as well.

If I had to guess (and I grew up in Prince William County), there is something wrong w/the boundries. The fact that I had two voting places within a 2 mile radius of my apartment in Alexandria, VA is telling, and partly why I think my wait was 15 minutes around 6 AM. People in DC wake up a lot earlier because traffic is a mess more often than not.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1352479576' post='1178950']
VA doesn't offer it. They have absentee in cases of being military and a few other exceptions.

Some people I know in MD waited in lines for 2 hours for early voting as well.

[b]If I had to guess (and I grew up in Prince William County), there is something wrong w/the boundries. The fact that I had two voting places within a 2 mile radius of my apartment in Alexandria, VA is telling, and partly why I think my wait was 15 minutes around 6 AM. [/b] People in DC wake up a lot earlier because traffic is a mess more often than not.
[/quote]

Same with me on the west side of Cincinnati. There are 3 polling places within a stone's throw from each other in a relatively low density population area. I have never spent more than 15 minutes voting since moving there. When I lived downtown though, I would always spend an hour or more waiting in line.. This is where some of the disconnect comes in. It shouldn't be massively harder for inner city people to cast a vote than suburbanites.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1352489734' post='1179002']
I'm in the middle of Romney central and it took me over 40 minutes to vote.
[/quote]

40 minutes is not that long.. There were people in Miami who waited in line for 6 hours. I have waited in line 1.5 - 2 hours voting downtown (and that was during mid terms). 40 minutes is like a bad day at the post office. No big deal.

I'm waiting to hear the next voter suppression conspiracy theory where Republicans are accused of hiring all white mailmen in Democratic heavy areas that pick up all the absentee ballots and burn them.

Do people who mail in absentee ballots get any kind of vote verification? Like a card in the mail, a call, or an email? I'm just curious. :whistle:

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352549767' post='1179132']
How do people who do absentee ballots know they were actually received?
[/quote]
A black helicopter flies over that person's house and sends a narrow-band radio signal that can only be received via the cavity fillings of the voter's teeth.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1352552564' post='1179140']
A black helicopter flies over that person's house and sends a narrow-band radio signal that can only be received via the cavity fillings of the voter's teeth.
[/quote]

I'm SERIOUS HERE. No really, do they get any kind of confirmation? How do they know their vote doesn't get lost, or stolen? :)

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352552866' post='1179142']
I'm SERIOUS HERE. No really, do they get any kind of confirmation? How do they know their vote doesn't get lost, or stolen? :)
[/quote]

Well, I did cast an absentee ballot in 76 when I was overseas. I don't think I got a confirmation, or if I did I promptly forgot about it.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1352556363' post='1179150']
Well, I did cast an absentee ballot in 76 when I was overseas. I don't think I got a confirmation, or if I did I promptly forgot about it.
[/quote]

I'll have to have a conference with Pinky and see how we can work this in our favor in 2016.

:fing27:

I have voted from abroad several times and am not nor ever was in the military. You mail your county clerk of courts a request for an absentee ballot, then they send you the ballot, you fill it out, mail it back to them, and you never hear from them again. Of course every state and possibly even county has its own set or forms and procedures. This is how it has worked in my case for Campbell County.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1352556995' post='1179153']
I have voted from abroad several times and am not nor ever was in the military. You mail your county clerk of courts a request for an absentee ballot, then they send you the ballot, you fill it out, mail it back to them, and you never hear from them again. Of course every state and possibly even county has its own set or forms and procedures. This is how it has worked in my case for Campbell County.
[/quote]

That sounds like a very flawed system. I understand that messing with mail is a federal offense, but I would like to know personally if my vote was counted. This would be a good suggestion to make. I would want a phone call, postcard, or email telling me my vote was actually counted. That shouldn't be too hard in this day and age.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1352591508' post='1179268']
So now that Obama won, what was the point of all these voter ID laws?
[/quote]

Funny Obama won and now the laws are being reviewed by the Supreme Court. With that being said, what do you think the chances of Obamacare making it past the Supreme Court again?

[url="http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/first-read-dmv/Morning-Read-Will-Early-Voting-Restrictions-Be-Loosened-in-Virginia-179077021.html"]http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/first-read-dmv/Morning-Read-Will-Early-Voting-Restrictions-Be-Loosened-in-Virginia-179077021.html[/url]

Virginia is one of about [url="http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/absentee-and-early-voting.aspx"]15 states[/url] that does not offer true early voting -- while residents can vote absentee by mail or in person, they are required to give an excuse in order to do so.
But the long lines that plagued voters on Election Day—particularly in [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/fairfax-chairman-wants-answers-on-long-election-day-lines/2012/11/08/82de55dc-29f5-11e2-bab2-eda299503684_blog.html"]Fairfax County[/url]—may be enough fodder to give the push for early voting in the state political capital.

Democratic State Senator Janet Howell of Reston [url="http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?131+ful+SB702"]prefiled legislation[/url] on the Thursday before the election that would eliminate all restrictions on absentee voting in Virginia. Currently, Virginians can only vote absentee if they qualify for approved excuses. Most states do not have these excuse requirements.

Archived