iPhone 4s or Galaxy s3...or wait for iPhone 5?

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1345795413' post='1150668']
GB what about SAmsung note, i think there is a new one coming, i like big ones
[/quote]thats what she said..

but i havent had any experience with the note, so I cant speak too much on it. I heard good things about it, but havent actually had the chance to get my hands on one.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345778104' post='1150630']
not like I wanted to, i played pandora, which is stripped down in quality, i didnt get a chance to load some 320kbps mp3's and check... but i noticed NO difference in pandora quality music... im off tomorrow so i MAY get a chance saturday if we are slow.. but its hard to say..

4s already dropped 25% in price, and some deals offering $100 gift card too, making it $50..

as for the connections. there will be adapters from apple and 3rd party available within 2 weeks of iphone 5 launch. I wouldnt let a connector force you into buying year old technology youll have for two years.. they even make micro usb to ipod connectors, monoprice sell them for a few bucks.. there was rumor that apple will supply an adapter with the first gen of all the new products, ipod/pad/phone, but it was strictly rumor...

...but if price is a factor youll save at least $100 sticking with the old model...
[/quote]

Where are you finding this at? I have seen the iPhone 4 at Best Buy a few times in recent months down to $50, but the 4s dropped? Interesting.

And I am not sure the connector/adapter will work, especially with my car, since Hyundai has their own iPod cable .

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1345837805' post='1150863']
Where are you finding this at? I have seen the iPhone 4 at Best Buy a few times in recent months down to $50, but the 4s dropped? Interesting.

And I am not sure the connector/adapter will work, especially with my car, since Hyundai has their own iPod cable .
[/quote]

valid point, i know my car kit is picky as well, so an adapter may or may not cause issues

@ sprint the 4s dropped to $149 a few weeks ago, and there are a few deals and offers off and on that give you another $100 discount or gift card...

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1345855166' post='1150927']
Samsung was just ordered to pay Apple 1 billion dollars for ripping of the iPhone.
[/quote]

after appeals i feel that will probably be reduced.. but DAAYYYUUUMMMMMM>>>>

I have AT&T (been with them since 2005) although I am well past my 2 year contract, so I could switch providers at any time.

If the rumors are right, the only differences with the iPhone 5 and the 4S is a different connector cable, slightly bigger screen, and a better camera.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1345929258' post='1151105']
I have AT&T (been with them since 2005) although I am well past my 2 year contract, so I could switch providers at any time.

If the rumors are right, the only differences with the iPhone 5 and the 4S is a different connector cable, slightly bigger screen, and a better camera.
[/quote]

a5x processor and 1 gb ram.

so:
faster
bigger
thinner
better camera/lens

not much more to really ask for in a phone model upgrade..

i dont like recomending service without knowing the area, att might be the bees knees out there, so unless you want unlimited data or some other reason stick with the devil you know..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345863219' post='1150959']

after appeals i feel that will probably be reduced.. but DAAYYYUUUMMMMMM>>>>
[/quote]

Yeah, that's insane. I just a read this quote on CNET.com, too:

[quote]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh, who presided over the closely watched trial, could also modify the damages award against Samsung, possibly [b]tripling[/b] the amount Apple receives.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[url="http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500554-37/apples-$1b-patent-award-reportedly-has-samsung-reeling/"]http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500554-37/apples-$1b-patent-award-reportedly-has-samsung-reeling/[/url]

I'm sure the odds of it getting increased are pretty low, and I agree with Go that this will probably get reduced in appeals, but still.

I'm a big Apple fan, but even I'm afraid of what this could do to the market. If the $1B award stands, other companies are going to be scared to death to do anything close to Apple. And when you eliminate competition, the consumers get hurt the most.

Not good.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1346094885' post='1151646']
Yeah, that's insane. I just a read this quote on CNET.com, too:

[url="http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500554-37/apples-$1b-patent-award-reportedly-has-samsung-reeling/"]http://news.cnet.com...amsung-reeling/[/url]

I'm sure the odds of it getting increased are pretty low, and I agree with Go that this will probably get reduced in appeals, but still.

I'm a big Apple fan, but even I'm afraid of what this could do to the market. If the $1B award stands, other companies are going to be scared to death to do anything close to Apple. And when you eliminate competition, the consumers get hurt the most.

Not good.
[/quote]

given my job, we have been discussing this at length, especially in the great depression known as "month before new iphone launch" when we ahve no work to do.

and we have all decided that allowing the copying that samsung is doing is actually hampering creativity and product evolution. If all every phone maker is doing is copying iphones, nothing new is coming... forcing a powerhouse like samsung to stay away from what the iphone is doing will lead to, hopefully, samsung creating something newer, different, better, etc, that will allow phones to evolve.

look at the brick wall phone evolution hit with the iphone/all touch icon based pda breakout. everyone just keeps repackaging the same shit with differnt colors or different screen pixels. you arent going to steal very much iphone market share by releasing phones that are just like the iphone and cost the same as the iphone...

do something creative....

phone evoled and got smaller, then they evolved and got bigger again... there is plenty of room to break ground on something new.. i want someone to make a clear phone, see through gorilla glass, thin, put the board at one end, nothing but the LED screen in the middle.. it would be unique and catchy.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1346100048' post='1151682']
Go, is there a way to trial a different carrier? ATT is ass here, I want to try the others, maybe even the ghetto options. I just want good reception.
[/quote]

I've had *great* luck with Sprint here.

YMMV...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1346115652' post='1151740']
I've had *great* luck with Sprint here.

YMMV...
[/quote]

vegas is one of the cheapest markets to build so we often build the latest stuff there first, and we can build year round without weather problems aside from heat..

im shocked ANY carrier has issues there...

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1346156342' post='1151935']
Go

Do you know if now that Jobs is no longer in charge, will the iPhone 5 be flash compatible?
[/quote]

I'd be surprised, I just installed Windows 8 and even they are moving away (not completely yet) from flash.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1346110067' post='1151726']
given my job, we have been discussing this at length, especially in the great depression known as "month before new iphone launch" when we ahve no work to do.

and we have all decided that allowing the copying that samsung is doing is actually hampering creativity and product evolution. If all every phone maker is doing is copying iphones, nothing new is coming... forcing a powerhouse like samsung to stay away from what the iphone is doing will lead to, hopefully, samsung creating something newer, different, better, etc, that will allow phones to evolve.

look at the brick wall phone evolution hit with the iphone/all touch icon based pda breakout. everyone just keeps repackaging the same shit with differnt colors or different screen pixels. you arent going to steal very much iphone market share by releasing phones that are just like the iphone and cost the same as the iphone...

do something creative....

phone evoled and got smaller, then they evolved and got bigger again... there is plenty of room to break ground on something new.. i want someone to make a clear phone, see through gorilla glass, thin, put the board at one end, nothing but the LED screen in the middle.. it would be unique and catchy.
[/quote]

I took some time last night to get a little more versed on the court case, and I think my opinion has turned to side with you on this. I didn't realize the phones that Samsung was peddling were [b]that[/b] close to the iPhone. Not exact matches, to be sure, but damn if I didn't think some of those phones were iPhone 3GS models with a quick look. And the way they organized the icons on the interface to look exactly like the default iOS setup really didn't help things.

I was skeptical when I first heard about the ruling. I had heard about the whole "rounded edges" controversy and had a hard time believing that Samsung was making phones that were so similar to the iPhone that it could cause a legit copyright issue. But after looking at the phones that Apple singled out, it became pretty clear, at least to me, that Samsung really was intentionally making a few models out to be iPhone knockoffs.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1346156342' post='1151935']
Go

Do you know if now that Jobs is no longer in charge, will the iPhone 5 be flash compatible?
[/quote]

no, there is no reason to support flash.

flash is the clunkiest, slowest, biggest security risk on computers today. its the worst thing ever.. i believe i even read adobe is going to stop updating it.

even android is going to stop offering it... http://ub7.net/adobe-stop-offering-flash-player-android-os/

jobs was just the guy brave enough to drop his balls on the table and not offer flash. it makes phones run slower, makes them freeze, it kills the user experience, and it worked, it forced all major sites to make their sites work without flash. you sell 250 million iphones across the world and developers start making things to fit YOUR needs.

html5 is better and less resource intensive than flash. i think every should stop supporting flash by 2013. the internet would be a far far better and safer place..

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1346163492' post='1151976']
I took some time last night to get a little more versed on the court case, and I think my opinion has turned to side with you on this. I didn't realize the phones that Samsung was peddling were [b]that[/b] close to the iPhone. Not exact matches, to be sure, but damn if I didn't think some of those phones were iPhone 3GS models with a quick look. And the way they organized the icons on the interface to look exactly like the default iOS setup really didn't help things.

I was skeptical when I first heard about the ruling. I had heard about the whole "rounded edges" controversy and had a hard time believing that Samsung was making phones that were so similar to the iPhone that it could cause a legit copyright issue. But after looking at the phones that Apple singled out, it became pretty clear, at least to me, that Samsung really was intentionally making a few models out to be iPhone knockoffs.
[/quote]

yea, it was dead on on a few models, and the odd part it was mostly mid to low end models that they did it with, maybe hoping to get away with it? their main models werent as obvious/close.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1346164457' post='1151985']
no, there is no reason to support flash.

flash is the clunkiest, slowest, biggest security risk on computers today. its the worst thing ever.. i believe i even read adobe is going to stop updating it.

even android is going to stop offering it... [url="http://ub7.net/adobe-stop-offering-flash-player-android-os/"]http://ub7.net/adobe...yer-android-os/[/url]

jobs was just the guy brave enough to drop his balls on the table and not offer flash. it makes phones run slower, makes them freeze, it kills the user experience, and it worked, it forced all major sites to make their sites work without flash. you sell 250 million iphones across the world and developers start making things to fit YOUR needs.

html5 is better and less resource intensive than flash. i think every should stop supporting flash by 2013. the internet would be a far far better and safer place..
[/quote]

I dont disagree re: flash vs html5 but realistically its not a quick conversion, or cheap

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1346164457' post='1151985']
no, [b]there is no reason to support flash[/b].

even android is going to stop offering it... [url="http://ub7.net/adobe-stop-offering-flash-player-android-os/"]http://ub7.net/adobe...yer-android-os/[/url]

[/quote]

Except for the number of sites that only offer videos in flash.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1346171270' post='1152006']
Except for the number of sites that only offer videos in flash.
[/quote]
all major sites offer videos in multiple formats, and work just fine on my iphone and ipad... sometimes youll need the sites app, but not most of the time. any decent sized website has already planned for this and makes the site and media iFriendly.

honestly, its a plugin, my gbtv site can be converted for iphone friends videos with a $69 plugin installation... it goes through and convets the flash video to an avi or mpeg or 3gp video so its useable on every type of device and auto detects the browser used and plays the appropriate version...

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1346172633' post='1152010']
what is youtube's plan?
[/quote]
youtube already offers the videos in multiple formats, works on all iphones and ipads just dandy..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1346117232' post='1151746']
vegas is one of the cheapest markets to build so we often build the latest stuff there first, and we can build year round without weather problems aside from heat..

im shocked ANY carrier has issues there...
[/quote]

AT&T blows goats here. I mean truly dreadful.

There is a huge dead zone at one of our hospitals where it is impossible to get a signal via AT&T, so they moved everyone to Verizon, which was a moderate improvement, even though there's a Verizon office within line of sight of the building.

My Sprint iPhone out performs my Verizon work phone by a pretty large margin in most places here...

Next Apple/Samsung question:

How much does this:

[img]http://ultrabooknews.com/files/2012/06/Samsung-Ultra-Convertible.jpg[/img]

Look like this:

[img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/macbook-air-hands-1.jpg[/img]

Or this:

[img]http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/06/12/Macbook_Pro_2012_with_Retina_Display_35331572_05_620x433.jpg[/img]

That first photo is of Samsungs just-announced line of Ultra-Touch laptops.

Archived