Strasburg being shut down between 160-180 innings pitched in 2012

I am curious what Cincy land has to say about this, since there is a good chance the Nats and Reds would be meeting in the playoffs at some point.

Strasburg fanned 10 last night, started the game, there was a 50 minute rain delay, and stayed in. Sept. 12th is the latest rumor in terms of "shutdown" day.

I think it's a dumb move, but love it as a Reds fan.

I understand they're looking at various data that says it's the right move, but does that data apply to someone that's already had TJ surgery? What kind of data is there about innings limits for a second TJ surgery?

At the end of the day, you have the best team in the majors with a legit shot at the series. You don't pass that up.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345740342' post='1149978']
it does seem extreme.. limit him to 4-5 innings per outing, skip every 3rd start, youre going to need him
[/quote]

This... I'd manage his time and pace him for the stretch run.

Not use him as a pace setter, basically to be eaten by the pack when its go time.

[url="http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/aug/22/stephen-strasburg-shutdown-davey-johnson-nationals/"]http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/aug/22/stephen-strasburg-shutdown-davey-johnson-nationals/[/url]

Instead, there's a ticking clock on the No. 1 overall pick who had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in 2010. He has thrown 145 1/3 innings so far and has a limit that has not been made public by the organization.

Johnson has spoken with general manager Mike Rizzo and has a rough idea when the shutdown will come.
“It depends on how many innings I let him pitch leading up to it. He's been averaging right around six innings. You guys should be able to do the math on that,” Johnson said. “I don't think the innings number is cut in stone. The science is not that exact. There's a little leeway there. But that's down the road.”

Strasburg is expected to be able to make at least four more starts, going until Sept. 12 at the New York Mets, or perhaps five, going until Sept. 19 vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Johnson said he thinks he'll need another pitcher to fill in for Strasburg for two or three regular-season starts. Lefty [b]John Lannan[/b] figures to be the leading candidate for that spot.
If Strasburg pitches Sept. 19, he would miss two regular-season starts, which could come Sept. 24 vs. the Milwaukee Brewers and Sept. 29 a the St. Louis Cardinals.

A year after shutting down [b]Jordan Zimmermann[/b], Johnson wondered why there wasn't this kind of hubbub then. Naturally it being Strasburg and the Nats being in a pennant race changes the landscape.

With Zimmermann, Johnson “let the cat out of the bag” a little early by revealing that [b]Tom Milone[/b] would start a game last year. When Strasburg is done, it won't be so much of a secret.

Read more: [url="http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/aug/22/stephen-strasburg-shutdown-davey-johnson-nationals/#ixzz24OGLvySq"]Got a Stephen Strasburg idea? Let Davey Johnson know - Washington Times[/url]

And Rudy Guiliani has his own opinion:
[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/rudy-giuliani-speaks-out-against-strasburg-shutdown/2012/08/23/fa5aa9c6-ed2d-11e1-b09d-07d971dee30a_blog.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/rudy-giuliani-speaks-out-against-strasburg-shutdown/2012/08/23/fa5aa9c6-ed2d-11e1-b09d-07d971dee30a_blog.html[/url]

Rudy Giuliani recently spoke out on the situation. Naturally, I disagreed with him.

This came during a Meet the Press bonus session with noted Nats fan David Gregory; the Nats talk was online-only, meant to appeal to crazed bloggers who have dreams about Strasburg transcripts. (It comes at the end of the video above.)

First Giuliani explained that he will not campaign on Yankees playoff dates. Then Gregory complained that Nats playoff games might conflict with the Presidential debates. Then this happened.

“So here’s the bigger question, beyond how the Nationals and Yankees would stack up if it comes to that,” Gregory said. “What do you do with Stephen Strasburg? Do you shut him down if you’re running the team?”

“I don’t,” Gregory answered. “I’m not a big pitch-count [guy]. I was a catcher, never at a high level. But that’s why I love baseball so much, I caught for 12 years. If he’s tired, you shut him down.

“We took pitchers out — back when they played baseball without gloves — the manager would come out and he’d look at me. I was the catcher. And he’d say has he got anything left? And I would try to be honest, I’d say no he doesn’t [or] yes he does. If I said no he doesn’t, the pitcher tried to punch me usually.

“But you took the guy out when he was tired. Some guys could go 120, 130 [pitches]....I would do the opposite with Strasburg. I’d stretch him out. Let him pitch. I wouldn’t give up home-field advantage in the playoffs. The guy’s a big strong guy, the operation seems to have worked. A lot of guys for 100 years have been pitching until the end of the season. Maybe I’d give him a day off here and there, maybe drop him a turn, then drop him another turn. But let him get to the end [of the season], and definitely have him for the playoffs.”

• 2 weeks later...
[url="https://twitter.com/SBerthiaumeESPN"][b]Steve Berthiaume[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]SBerthiaumeESPN[/b][/url]
BREAKING: [url="https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23Nationals"][s]#[/s][b]Nationals[/b][/url] say Stephen Strasburg will make his final start this season September 12 at [url="https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23Mets"][s]#[/s][b]Mets[/b][/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345740342' post='1149978']
it does seem extreme.. limit him to 4-5 innings per outing, skip every 3rd start, youre going to need him
[/quote]

Made this same argument in the Reds gameday thread. As a Reds fan I like it, even though hes not the best pitcher they have from an ERA stand point, but man did they mishandle that.

If I had to guess, I am thinking the GM has confidence somewhere in his call ups to make up for some of what Strasburg has. Again, some.

Current ERA's of the Nats starters:

Strasburg 2.94
Gonzalez 3.10
Detwiler 3.15
Zimmerman 3.01
Jackson 3.53

One of the most recent arguments being made in the papers in DC is his age. If he was in his late 20's, he would have more innings under his belt and the Nats would take a chance.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1346762950' post='1154269']
If I had to guess, I am thinking the GM has confidence somewhere in his call ups to make up for some of what Strasburg has. Again, some.

Current ERA's of the Nats starters:

Strasburg 2.94
Gonzalez 3.10
Detwiler 3.15
Zimmerman 3.01
Jackson 3.53

One of the most recent arguments being made in the papers in DC is his age. If he was in his late 20's, he would have more innings under his belt and the Nats would take a chance.
[/quote]

I think it's simple mismanagement. Once they realized they had a shot at the playoffs they should have started managing his innings then, so they could be sure to have him during the most important part of the season. You never know when you'll have the chance to win it all. To be forced to shut down an ace for the post season due to lack of planning is pretty indefensible,

PTI discussed this yesterday, and someone on Atlanta's pitching staff when through the same surgery. The difference, back in April, that player was used out of the bullpen only, before becoming a starter, so even w/an innings limit, he can pitch into the post season should Atlanta get that far.

It's possible management simply talked to doctors and didn't think the Nationals would be contending (to be honest, I thought they were a year away from the winning the division, then the postseason expanded and I thought, they have a really good chance of making it into the playoffs).

Most Nationals fans have no issue with Strasburg being shut down.

Cal Ripken has his opinion:[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/cal-ripken-and-michael-wilbon-on-strasburg/2012/09/05/c10cde72-f774-11e1-8253-3f495ae70650_blog.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/cal-ripken-and-michael-wilbon-on-strasburg/2012/09/05/c10cde72-f774-11e1-8253-3f495ae70650_blog.html[/url]

But Cal Ripken has always seemed particularly non-meathead-ish, to me, and I’d imagine to a lot of baseball fans. He’s funny, and witty, and measured, and would probably never use his media perch to tell an injured young star to suck it up.

Even in delivering this opinion about Strasburg on SiriusXM’s MLB Network Radio, Ripken touched on both sides of the debate, and remained measured and rational. But he also made it clear that, like many other retired ballplayers, he would have been loathe to go along with such a plan.

“It’s perplexing because the competitor in all of us will say, ‘[i]Wait a minute now[/i],’” Ripken began. “You know, I understand the rationale for this, and I understand the future, and I understand what they’re doing. And I think they’ve put themselves in a position where they’re not going to turn back from it. [Mike] Rizzo’s not going to change his mind....
“If I was Stephen Strasburg, it’s not a foregone conclusion you’re going to get back to this position in another year,” Ripken continued. “I won the World Series in 1983 with the Baltimore Orioles, and I thought that would just be one of many opportunities. And we never got back all the way through.

[url=""][/url]
“In some ways, you want to live in the moment, but I can certainly understand their caution,” Ripken concluded. “But I don’t think they’re going to turn back. We might hear from Strasburg a little bit. If it was me, if I was Stephen Strasburg, I’d be making a lot of noise, saying, ‘[i]I’m pitching[/i].’”

He is shut down one game earlier than expected (article from CSN Washington).

Stephen Strasburg will not pitch again this season, manager Davey Johnson said this morning.

After watching Strasburg labor through a three-inning start last night against the Marlins, Johnson said he made the decision to shut the right-hander down, sensing the hype and pressure surrounding the planned, premature conclusion of his season had become too much to handle.

"He's had a great year," Johnson said. "And I know what he's going through the last couple weeks. This media hype on this thing has been unbearable."

Strasburg's season thus ends after 159 1/3 innings over 28 starts. He finishes 15-6 with a 3.16 ERA and 197 strikeouts.

"My job is to do what's best for the player," Johnson said. "And this is what's best for the player."

John Lannan will take over Strasburg's rotation spot immediately and start Wednesday against the Mets at Citi Field.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1346801292' post='1154421']
I think it's simple mismanagement. Once they realized they had a shot at the playoffs they should have started managing his innings then, so they could be sure to have him during the most important part of the season. You never know when you'll have the chance to win it all. To be forced to shut down an ace for the post season due to lack of planning is pretty indefensible,
[/quote]

THIS

Archived