Doc: What to do with Todd Frazier?

oldschooler

Dusty Baker is never OK with being second-guessed. He figures he knows what he knows about baseball, and that’s always going to be more than you know. So, really, don’t bother asking him what will happen with Todd Frazier when Joey Votto returns, whenever that is.

“I don’t want (any) controversy,’’ Baker said, after his team’s desultory 8-2 loss to the heathen Cardinals Sunday.

It’s not controversial to wonder what becomes of Frazier, arguably the most important Red in Votto’s absence. It’s a legit question. Especially given the manager’s affection for older players, and his general love of The Book when it comes to making player decisions.

Fast guys lead off, even when they don’t get on base a lot. Zack Cozart and Drew Stubbs set a meager table for the meat of the lineup. Bat them 1-2, every day, anyway. Don’t slide Ryan Hanigan to the No. 2 spot, even though his on-base percentage is almost 100 points higher than either Cozart’s or Stubbs’ and his bat control is exemplary. He’s a catcher. Catchers don’t hit No. 2.

It hasn’t been a difficult year to manage the Reds. The starting pitchers haven’t missed a turn, not one. Other than Votto, no regular has missed lots of time. It has been a magical summer of good bounces, good karma, better attitudes and 30 games with the Cubs and the Astros.

That isn’t to say Baker hasn’t done a fine job. He has. When he is running a front-running club, he is very good at keeping the ship full steam ahead. Players play relaxed and confident for him. Full faith and credit for that to the manager, who lets his players play. They’ll never have a bigger friend than Dusty Baker.

Thinking creatively is not a Baker strength, though. And now, with Votto’s return imminent, he needs a little of that.

“When Joey returns, will you have to find a spot for Frazier every day?’’ I asked.

Frazier will play, Baker said. “All my players play.’’

Well, OK. But Frazier’s not all your players.

Baker explained he likes his veterans as September looms. “Scotty (Rolen) knows the way,’’ he said. “(Ryan) Ludwick knows the way. (Jay) Bruce is doing his thing. Frazier can’t play centerfield. Nothing against Frazier, but he ain’t been down the stretch yet.’’

Here’s what we know about Todd Frazier. Here’s the only statistic with meat worth eating:

The Reds record when Frazier starts a game: 56-32.

The Reds record when he doesn’t: 21-20.

Frazier has brought energy. His professionalism has fit right in. He works hard. During Votto’s absence, he, Ludwick and Brandon Phillips have carried the offense. Assuming voters are paying attention, Frazier will be the NL rookie of the year. The only Reds rookie with a better slugging percentage was Frank Robinson.

And you’re thinking of keeping this kid on the bench because other players know the road better?

Here is what Baker should do, and probably won’t, because he loves his veterans down the stretch, and he forgets more about baseball in a three-hour game than we media hacks will ever hope to know. When Votto returns, the manager should:

Play Frazier one game a week at first base. Votto won’t play every day on that knee.

Play Frazier two games a week at third base. Rolen can use the rest.

Play Frazier twice a week in right or left field. Move Bruce to centerfield on the days Frazier starts in right.

(While we’re on a second-guess roll: Move Phillips to lead off and Hanigan to second and let the big dogs eat.)

“It’s too late to be playing Bruce in centerfield,’’ Baker said.

Well, OK. The ball comes off the bat differently in center than in right. It would be an adjustment for Bruce. If it’s too much, figure something else out. It doesn’t matter how Baker gets Frazier in the lineup five days a week. Only that he does.

The Cardinals bludgeoned the Reds on a dog-day afternoon Sunday. The Reds are 11-11 in the last 23 days. It could get harder for them before it gets easier. Still, they leave town with a six-game edge on St. Louis.

And for a first-place team treading water, nothing says, “thank you, Jesus,’’ quite like six games in the next 12 days with the Astros, who have lost 45 of their previous 53. You, me and seven kids named Meat could beat the Astros.

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120826/COL03/308260049/Doc-What-do-Todd-Frazier-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1346071979' post='1151554']
Dusty Baker is never OK with being second-guessed. He figures he knows what he knows about baseball, and that’s always going to be more than you know.
[/quote]

And he would be right. Who the F is Paul Daugherty? As much as some of Dusty's decisions make you want to bang your head against the wall, he's the one making them for a reason. If they end up costing the team, he won't be making them for long.

I was at the game Friday night, and to me it looked like they felt like they could coast after they took the lead. Of course the holes in the lineup cost them a few runs down the stretch, too, but that's nothing new. I don't know if it's fatigue or what but it definitely seemed like they started getting sloppy at the plate even before they gave up the lead.

Archived