Unless You Need Java, Uninstall It

[b] [url="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/27/disable_java_to_block_exploit/"]Disable Java NOW, users told, as 0-day exploit hits web[/url][/b]

Bad stuff, folks.

Cross-platform and cross-browser, which means it can exploit any OS using any browser.

At a minimum you should disable Java support in your browser....

:unsure:

Seriously, this is butt-puckeringly bad from an IT security standpoint and exacerbated by Larry "Will someone [b]please[/b] kick me in the balls?" Ellison and his idiotic quarterly patching\update schedule.

What a fuckbag. Like his attempt to kill MySQL wasn't bad enough... :glare:

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1346263161' post='1152432']
Firefox is all I use, I just went to the add ons and disabled the two Java things, should I be good? I think it's the older version that shouldn't be affected, 1.6. Thanks.

[img]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5684/javafirefox.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's good. Also check IE and make sure that it doesn't have any Java plugins lurking about...

My understanding is that:

1. This only effects 1.7
2. Mac's don't have 1.7 unless you went out of your way to manually upgrade (everything else is still 1.6)
3. Oracle released a Java update to address this issue yesterday.

Is this correct?

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1346423614' post='1153293']
My understanding is that:

1. This only effects 1.7
2. Mac's don't have 1.7 unless you went out of your way to manually upgrade (everything else is still 1.6)
3. Oracle released a Java update to address this issue yesterday.

Is this correct?
[/quote]

Correct.

The issue with #1 is that it would not be hard to engineer the exploit to affect 1.6 and below as well. I'm sitting here looking at an enterprise with 50+ Java interfaces for a myriad of applications.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If it doesn't pay for Larry Ellison's jet fuel, Oracle really doesn't care.[/font][/color][/quote]

Also very true...

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1347549980' post='1157941']
Ok so what's the deal with this? I have disabled the plugins, I keep getting a message to update Java on the comps though - should we uninstall the whole program?
[/quote]

Oracle released a fix for Java 1.7, but that was rife with security holes as well. Then they released another. If you're going to keep Java, then by all means run the update. However, if you don't have a need for it, I'd get rid of it...

Archived