After Week 1--Impression of Replacement Refs

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1349069864' post='1165107']
We're accustomed to bad calls, ...so, ...back to the same old, ...same old.
[/quote]

Not to single you out, but your argument has been brought up since page 1 of the thread & people still aren't getting it; there's a HUGE difference between screwing up a call and screwing up the entire game.

[quote name='cnbengal' timestamp='1349062187' post='1165090']
Anyone catch the Green Bay game today ? Late in the game with GB leading N.O. fumbled on the kick return and the regular officials totally missed it and during the scrum used the down by contact rule so it wasn't able to be reviewed. So the regular guys are not so perfect either.
[/quote]

The first Saints TD came on an obvious pushoff by Colston. I bet the Packers fans were thinking "here we go again"

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1349078552' post='1165117']
The first Saints TD came on an obvious pushoff by Colston. I bet the Packers fans were thinking "here we go again"
[/quote]

That game was a little sloppy overall IMO, but that tends to happen in shootouts. No excuse, but at least the NFL refs will call contact & defensive holding penalties & walk off a few yards instead of everything being PI @ the spot of the foul. The scabs never seemed to notice when the ball was tipped unless it really got swatted, either. Shit, did they even know that makes it a live ball? I don't know if they have that rule in the Lingerie League.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349080042' post='1165122']
I think they pretty much got the Bengals game right. I think BJGE's fumble was recovered at the one and not in the endzone for a touchback.
[/quote]

I thought they'd done away with "accidental" facemask penalties, but it may be different for QB's. I expected them to call really strict games this week, though. Once the score got out of hand I think they may have let some holding go, but it was more about protecting their QB & didn't really matter a whole lot by then anyway. They kept it moving, there weren't too many conferences & they didn't let it get too chippy.

Somebody wrote it was "like having two preseasons".

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1349085109' post='1165125']
[b]I thought they'd done away with "accidental" facemask penalties, but it may be different for QB's. [/b]I expected them to call really strict games this week, though. Once the score got out of hand I think they may have let some holding go, but it was more about protecting their QB & didn't really matter a whole lot by then anyway. They kept it moving, there weren't too many conferences & they didn't let it get too chippy.

Somebody wrote it was "like having two preseasons".
[/quote]

as I understand it they did, and the rule now is just everything is a straight up facemask. There's no 5yd penalty for "incidental" facemask. It's the 15yd personal foul variety, or nothing at all, but typically it will be called if you ever touch the facemask.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1349078426' post='1165115']
Not to single you out, but your argument has been brought up since page 1 of the thread & people still aren't getting it; there's a HUGE difference between screwing up a call and screwing up the entire game.
[/quote]

Our team handled it better because, ...we are more accustomed to bad calls.

It was fun to watch the rest of the league deal with it though, ...hehehe, ...good times.

Again, it's not about cherry picking bad calls and comparing them.. No rational person has made the argument that the real refs wouldn't fuck up calls, or wouldn't ever make as egregious errors.. It's about frequency of these mistakes, and the overall running of the game.. Even such elementary aspects such as clock management and ball placement were routinely fucked up by the replacements.

You can point to any one bad call by the real refs and go, "See these guys fuck up too!", but the kind of really bad mistakes that you may see a couple times in a week of football, were becoming routine.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1349093330' post='1165145']
There's no 5yd penalty for "incidental" facemask. It's the 15yd personal foul variety, or nothing at all, but typically it will be called if you ever touch the facemask.
[/quote]

"Incidental", right. Either way it leaves the ref trying to determine intent, which is a bit pointless. Unfortunate because that one yesterday looked 100% accidental to me, like his finger was caught. In fact I thought he was trying very hard not to pull, being as that his finger might decide to come off before that helmet. Hard for a ref to see any of that without benefit of slow-motion replay, though. They just notice his hands up and the QB's head getting torqued around.

Archived