iPhone 5 Announced

It was actually a pretty boring announcement. Everything announced had already been leaked. That said, I still can't wait to put my preorder in.

Highlights:

- Taller Screen
- 8-Pin "Lightning" Connector. Name implies it has faster data transfer rates...but this was never addressed in the keynote.
- A6 processor (2X as fast as the 4S' A5X chip)
- 4G LTE
- Camera upgrades (now with built in 360 degree panorama support, better low lighting adjustments, better stability adjustment, ability to take pictures while shooting video, and some other improvements)
- Aluminum backing
- New Map application with 3D, Turn by Turn, and Siri integration
- Microphone/speak improvements
- Facebook integration
- Passport

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1347474115' post='1157707']
It was actually a pretty boring announcement. Everything announced had already been leaked. That said, I still can't wait to put my preorder in.

Highlights:

- Taller Screen
[b]- 8-Pin "Lightning" Connector. Name implies it has faster data transfer rates...but this was never addressed in the keynote.[/b]
- A6 processor (2X as fast as the 4S' A5X chip)
- 4G LTE
- Camera upgrades (now with built in 360 degree panorama support, better low lighting adjustments, better stability adjustment, ability to take pictures while shooting video, and some other improvements)
- Aluminum backing
- New Map application with 3D, Turn by Turn, and Siri integration
- Microphone/speak improvements
- Facebook integration
- Passport
[/quote]

Tiny Thunderbolt connection? :shrug:

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1347483383' post='1157781']
also thinner, lighter and better batter life, camera is 8mp and front facing camera supports 720p recording..
[/quote]

The battery life segment was kind of confusing. Looked like it had better battery life across the board, but the grid they showed during the keynote didn't show 4G talk time. It only had 3G talk time and 4G browsing. So does the phone switch to 3G for voice transfer, and back to 4G for data transfer, or was the 4G talk time significantly lower and they didn't want to reveal it?

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1347489728' post='1157820']
so it's a navigation system right? only reason I ask cause I never had an Iphone cause I have an HTC 4G LTE and all of the HTC's come with free navigation. I use that like no other especially when I travel or
best example just moved to Minneapolis.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's a full blown navigation system. Turn by turn directions, points of interest, traffic, pretty much everything.

It even integrates with Siri to allow voice commands, presumably allowing you to enter addresses and do other things hands-free.

Now, the caveat here is that it's not actually released and there aren't any reviews out yet, so we have no idea how well any of this works. But the feature list is definitely up to par.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' timestamp='1347500019' post='1157859']
What's so much better about it than a year old Android phone? Sorry I just don't see anything special about it.
[/quote]

There's just so more to that apple experience than just a bullet-point list of features. Apple products are just more fun to use because the summation of all the parts, not because it has a feature list that's better (because, as you pointed out, that's not generally the case).

You really don't understand it until you've used one for an extended period of time. I REFUSED to ever buy an Apple product until a friend practically forced me to take his MacBook Pro home for a week to use it. I wanted nothing more than to tell him I hated it, but I just couldn't say that. I actually loved it. Despite having hardware specs that I thought were well below the price point for that laptop, I found that it outperformed my more spec'ed out PC in every day tasks pretty easily. Sure, it wouldn't run Crysis nearly as well as my PC, but it did just about everything else much faster, and in a much more convenient way.

Borrowing my friend's MacBook, and then buying my own MacBook Pro soon thereafter, really made me understand that Apple excels at making the trivial, every day things (and the things most users spend 90% of their time doing) so much easier and faster. If you want a gaming machine, then by all means buy a spec'd out PC. Apple is the right choice for that (and I do have a decked out PC I use for my gaming). But for something to use for pretty much everything else, I've grown to prefer Apple products, iPhone included. I keep up with the specs of the Android phones as they come out, and I know the iPhone is generally behind by some margin, but I have yet to see anything from them that makes me want to put down my iPhone.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1347486683' post='1157810']
The battery life segment was kind of confusing. Looked like it had better battery life across the board, but the grid they showed during the keynote didn't show 4G talk time. It only had 3G talk time and 4G browsing. So does the phone switch to 3G for voice transfer, and back to 4G for data transfer, or was the 4G talk time significantly lower and they didn't want to reveal it?
[/quote]

thereare no 4g voice calls at this time. the target is to make all calls go over 4g, but we are likely 3-5 years from that. At least for the CDMA carriers, i know tmobile long ago had phones that made voice calls over wifi, i know they arent getting the iphone in the US, but data calls arent impossible but I dont know of any carrier using that tecnology at this point, most are trying to AVOID extra data traffic/bandwidth, not increase it...

when that time DOES come, both battery and data technology will be changed quite a bit. a data call is a nonstop 1.5mb-3mb data stream both directions, in current network conditions that would work like shit pretty much all over the place and drain the battery on a single 45 minute call...

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' timestamp='1347500019' post='1157859']
What's so much better about it than a year old Android phone? Sorry I just don't see anything special about it.
[/quote]

1. Battery life is more than twice as good. my android lasted me about 10 hours, and i dont do much on my phone, im old and tired and dont play games or stream video.. my iphone lasts me two days. I could probably go 3 days if i tried. when i plug in at night my battery is at 70% typically.

2. Apps, only apps that are 100% compatible with your OS are available in the app store. So you dont download apps that freeze up your device, make it lag, suck battery life, crash, etc.

3. Screen, there isnt an android phone on the planet with resolution the iphone 4s and 5 have. the galaxy s3 comes close, but is still 10% behind. not to mention the color saturation is pretty damn far apart.

4. camera, if you are just looking at 8mp to 8mp, you are missing many points, my 5mp 4s takes better photos than the galaxy s3 8mp camera. color crispness, etc.

5. the reason for the many android OS issues, are due to the OS constantly running shit it doesnt need to, i keep calling it windows, even if you force stop something it comes back, you shouldnt need to root your phone and add task killers for it to function better. iOS doesnt run things constantly in the background, many people think if you double click the home button it sohws your running apps, those are actually recently opened apps, the device stores some files in temp memory to launch them faster if you want to relaunch those apps, but its not actually running them and sucking cpu resources my storing them there. ios using less resources than android does.

6. size. this is a preference thing, Jobs made the iphone width for a size that would be comfortable for the largest customer base possible, not the biggest screen on earth or whatever everyone else is going for, comfort in using the device. i have kinda small hands, i had an HTC EVO, got rid of it after 7-8 days as the big screen was a pain to use, i had to do almost everything two handed.. it fits in your pocket without feeling like you have a chalkboard on your hip.

7. security. apple reviews all apps in the market, its national news when an app managed to get to sharing your phonebook or your info. thats the norm for android apps, they released a stat at my job that something like 17% of the top 100 downloaded apps share your data and catalog your contacts list. we all know both google and apple are gathering your data, but within 1 day of having an android phone, i was getting spam emails from names in my contact list.

8. option to purchase apps - ad free. This is huge for me, android often doesnt offer a purchasable app that doesnt have ads, since the ad revenue is shared with google they dont seem to into apps that you buy that dont have ads everywhere.. i stopped playing words with friends because there was only the free version on android and the ads were TERRIBLE. you can get all the same free apps for iphone, but 90% of the time you can pay $.99-$2.99 for the same app without any ads.. i hate ads, they use bandwidth and slow down the app and your experience.

9. what does android do that iphone doesnt? im 31, i dont want to root or hack my phone for it to work the way i wnt it to. thats a negative not an advantage. they cost just as much for any decent android, the evo LTE and the S3 are both $200. and the iphone 16gb is $199.

resale value on the iphone is higher when you go to sell it and get a new device.

so if they cost the same, have similar, equal or better specs, function smoother, what exactly is the reason NOT to try an iphone? the only reason left is some boner against apple, or some hipster complex of not wanting what "everyone else" has..

lastly the gmail app on iphone works better than gmail on the android OS, which is mind blowing to think about.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1347549552' post='1157939']
I like the macbook pros. It is what the linux desktop yearns to be.

Iphone...meh. I liked my android better. With that said I will update my 4s next week when the ios 6 update is available.
[/quote]

I think Gnome 3 is getting really close TBH. At least for laptops.

And I have both; my personal phone is a 4S and my work phone is a Droid RAZR running Ice Cream Sandwich. While upgrading the OS to ICS definitely helped the battery performance (it actually lasts all day now) it is still nowhere near the iPhone battery performance; I go 3 days between charges on the iPhone.

I also get vastly superior performance out of my iPhone. The RAZR is stock; no apps, no games. I use it for phone calls and my work email. That's it. However, it randomly reboots for no reason, locks up (improved since ICS), and I still get the "Black Screen of Death" at least once every 2 weeks. It's been reset to factory 4 times and replaced once. Same performance. My iPhone on the other hand has performed flawlessly for nearly a year.

If I had to purchase a new phone and was not able to get an iPhone, I would get a Windows phone before I would ever get another Android.

No, seriously...

Am I the only person not getting super battery life on my iphone due to the insane amount of work email i get?

Do you think if android os was on one hardware platform it would have less problems?

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1347555206' post='1157952']
I think Gnome 3 is getting really close TBH. At least for laptops.

And I have both; my personal phone is a 4S and my work phone is a Droid RAZR running Ice Cream Sandwich. While upgrading the OS to ICS definitely helped the battery performance (it actually lasts all day now) it is still nowhere near the iPhone battery performance; I go 3 days between charges on the iPhone.

I also get vastly superior performance out of my iPhone. The RAZR is stock; no apps, no games. I use it for phone calls and my work email. That's it. However, it randomly reboots for no reason, locks up (improved since ICS), and I still get the "Black Screen of Death" at least once every 2 weeks. It's been reset to factory 4 times and replaced once. Same performance. My iPhone on the other hand has performed flawlessly for nearly a year.

If I had to purchase a new phone and was not able to get an iPhone, I would get a Windows phone before I would ever get another Android.

No, seriously...
[/quote]

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1347563174' post='1157966']
Am I the only person not getting super battery life on my iphone due to the insane amount of work email i get?
[/quote]

I get a ton of email as well (Solar Winds is at times the bane of my existence) and get great battery life because I turn Push off and check my mail manually. I'm constantly looking at the damn thing anyway, which retrieves the messages, so why waste the battery? You can also extend your battery life a ton by turning down the brightness by half.

[quote]
Do you think if android os was on one hardware platform it would have less problems?
[/quote]

No doubt.

Archived