iPhone 5 Announced

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1348101156' post='1160177']
as the day went on everything was cool, i got my hands on a black iphone 5 today, its great, looks better in person than on the websites, surprisingly you can really see the color saturation difference. its fast as hell and feels like its 50% lighter, i was shocked.. the charging connector is about the same size as a micro charger, its smaller than expected, plugs in great both ways.

i put ios6 on my iphone, and absolutely love it, the itunes match 100% streaming is phenomenal, even on 3g network data, songs start to play within 1-2 seconds, fast worwards great, skips songs, does shuffle.. amazing...

doing my ipad now...

apple is diabolical....
[/quote]

Good to hear, but I was more concerned with the process of actually getting my phone. I put my preorder in at lunchtime on the day they opened up. The ATT rep told me I'd "probably" get mine this Friday, but he couldn't guarantee it.

Your previous post leads me to wonder how full of crap he was.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348102395' post='1160187']
Good to hear, but I was more concerned with the process of actually getting my phone. I put my preorder in at lunchtime on the day they opened up. The ATT rep told me I'd "probably" get mine this Friday, but he couldn't guarantee it.

Your previous post leads me to wonder how full of crap he was.
[/quote]

i figured, i meant to comment more on that, helping kids with homework, fielding calls from all over denver regarding thursday meetings and friday launch distracted me. you have no idea how the retail channel freaks out for days before a launch like this..

at 10am my time, noon eastern that were showing 1-2 weeks shipping times, so if you dont see it friday, i would expect it tuesday at the ABSOLUTE latest

judging by the LCD backlog getting cleared up this week leads me to think theyll have 10mil shipped by monday.

12-15 mil shipped before they release in the additional countries the 28th.

i dont know what clout ATT pulls these days as far as inventory, its a double edged swaord for apple, the majority of them sold to ATT are previous iphone upgrades, the majority sold to verizon and sprint are new iphone users. so they can grab more market share by getting devices to those two and pat themselves on the back faster sucking up the smartphone market.

but att had an exclusive for a long while, so who knows.

they have some of the fastest shipping deals setup i have ever seen. our demo device shipped from kentucky at 1:16am today and was dropped off at my store at 10:50am in denver, co.

late thursday night i could probably give you a 95% accurate answer to your concern, but as of now I would GUESS 75% chance youll have it friday, theyll do thursday night, friday morning and saturday morning shipments as well, so i wouldnt be too concerns

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1348101156' post='1160177']
as the day went on everything was cool, i got my hands on a black iphone 5 today, its great, looks better in person than on the websites, surprisingly you can really see the color saturation difference. its fast as hell and feels like its 50% lighter, i was shocked.. the charging connector is about the same size as a micro charger, its smaller than expected, plugs in great both ways.

i put ios6 on my iphone, and absolutely love it, the itunes match 100% streaming is phenomenal, even on 3g network data, songs start to play within 1-2 seconds, fast worwards great, skips songs, does shuffle.. amazing...

doing my ipad now...

apple is diabolical....
[/quote]

I put is on my 4s today as well.. Looks different an quite a few ways... The Panorama option on the camera is pretty cool. I haven't messed with it much..worked late and had some shit to do after work, but I think the update will be nice...

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1348104939' post='1160216']
I put is on my 4s today as well.. Looks different an quite a few ways... The Panorama option on the camera is pretty cool. I haven't messed with it much..worked late and had some shit to do after work, but I think the update will be nice...
[/quote]

yea, it should tide me over until i am allowed to buy the 5, i hope.

My 5 is showing shipped, and en route for delivery Friday (tomorrow) via FedEx overnight. I ordered through ATT around 10am on the release day, so I'd imagine if anyone else ordered prior to, or around that time frame, you should be good for delivery Friday. Should be.

As far as the OS upgrade... I downloaded IOS6 last night, and cant figure out several things. I have an iphone 4 and still dont have Siri, dont have the panoramic option on the camera, and also can't figure out how to get street view on maps (unless they kept that from us 4 owners also). I've noticed passbook and VIP mail. Other than that, I haven't messed with it much to see if anything is different, but right now, it seems about the same to me.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1348150025' post='1160336']
My 5 is showing shipped, and en route for delivery Friday (tomorrow) via FedEx overnight. I ordered through ATT around 10am on the release day, so I'd imagine if anyone else ordered prior to, or around that time frame, you should be good for delivery Friday. Should be.

As far as the OS upgrade... I downloaded IOS6 last night, and cant figure out several things. I have an iphone 4 and still dont have Siri, dont have the panoramic option on the camera, and also can't figure out how to get street view on maps (unless they kept that from us 4 owners also). I've noticed passbook and VIP mail. Other than that, I haven't messed with it much to see if anything is different, but right now, it seems about the same to me.
[/quote]

I don't think the new maps has Street View. I think that was kind of specific to Google's App, and wasn't in Apple's implmentation. As for the other things...I have no idea. I don't have Passport, but I'm guessing that isn't available on iPads. Maybe? I don't know. I haven't tried the camera stuff yet.

Also, what's the sender address on those ATT emails? I mistakenly gave them my hotmail address to send my info (which is my habit on any account that could potentially send me junk emails), and I now have no idea if I got a confirmation email or not. If I had the sender email, I could search for it a little easier.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348150251' post='1160338']
I don't think the new maps has Street View. I think that was kind of specific to Google's App, and wasn't in Apple's implmentation. As for the other things...I have no idea. I don't have Passport, but I'm guessing that isn't available on iPads. Maybe? I don't know. I haven't tried the camera stuff yet.

Also, what's the sender address on those ATT emails? I mistakenly gave them my hotmail address to send my info (which is my habit on any account that could potentially send me junk emails), and I now have no idea if I got a confirmation email or not. If I had the sender email, I could search for it a little easier.
[/quote]

I keep finding articles on the interwebz that says it has street views... its not the same as google street view though, it looks more like a digitized version of reality from the screenshots I have seen.
You can go to your ATT.com profile and look under "my orders" to find it, or the email address is:
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]Premier@premier.wireless.att-mail.com [/b][/size][/font]

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1348151454' post='1160340']
I keep finding articles on the interwebz that says it has street views... its not the same as google street view though, it looks more like a digitized version of reality from the screenshots I have seen.
You can go to your ATT.com profile and look under "my orders" to find it, or the email address is:
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]Premier@premier.wireless.att-mail.com [/b][/size][/font]
[/quote]
Interesting. I played with Maps for just a few minutes last night on my iPad. I saw what you may be describing for the digitized stuff (although it only worked in large cities). I went to NYC and was able to do some pretty cool stuff, and got the full 3D rendering, which was quite snappy. I came back to Pittsburgh and that stuff wasn't really available. Pittsburgh basically had a topographic map with a 2D photo sitting on top of it..meaning none of the buildings were rendered in 3D.

Thanks for the email info. I checked it and didn't see any messages about shipping. Not good. Not good at all.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348152621' post='1160345']
Also, did you order from ATT via the website, or in-store? I ordered in-store, so maybe those emails are only going to out people who ordered online.

Basically, I'm looking for some hope here. ANY hope at all....
[/quote]

I ordered online. I think if you bought it as a pre-order from the store on Friday, you are probably OK. I dont have any insider information or anything, but I have been following it very closely- mainly because my home button is worthless on my 4 so its very frustrating to use... I want the new phone asap. I'm pretty sure Apple is shipping enough to fill the initial preorders from stores... but yeah you probably just have to call or show up- I dont think there would be any tracking information.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348182179' post='1160473']
I have this funny feeling that I'm going to be extremely pissed off tomorrow.
[/quote]

its hard to compare since some carriers did in-store pre orders and some didnt, so where i work we didnt, so they obviously used majority of inventory to direct ship the online preorders, but the quantities we received company wide are frighteningly low....

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1348183300' post='1160475']
its hard to compare since some carriers did in-store pre orders and some didnt, so where i work we didnt, so they obviously used majority of inventory to direct ship the online preorders, but the quantities we received company wide are frighteningly low....
[/quote]

I don't know if it helps or not, but the store I used is a very low traffic store. It's actually primarily a service center, they just happen to have a storefront, as well. I got my iPhone 4 there and the place wasn't crowded at all when I picked it up in the morning.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1348248977' post='1160667']
I wish that google would release google maps to the app store. Not the shitty version that was on ios 5, but similiar to the sweet version on android
[/quote]

They already have one pending approval. I don't know the details about all the functionality, and have a weird feeling that Apple is going to find a way to twist their policies to disallow it, but it is in the works.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348243880' post='1160638']
I stopped in the Apple store on my way to lunch. They said that haven't even gotten their shipment of preorders in, yet. They had their non-reserved stock, which all sold out this morning. But I guess none of the preorders have shown up to the store, yet.
[/quote]

lol

thats some shady ass shit right there.... every apple launch i was involved in it all came as one shipment, and the staff set aside the preorders from that shipment, and what was leftover was for the non-pre orders..... maybe its changed, but it sounds like to me they used it as an excuse to double sell, get the money from the pre orders then sell all the initial shipment and use the second shipment as "pre order" stock... since they probably didnt have enough for all of the preorders at once...

just my thoughts.... i could be wrong...

the store i was at today had people in line at 11:30pm last night... but only about 20 had accumulated by 8am...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1348256534' post='1160714']
lol

thats some shady ass shit right there.... every apple launch i was involved in it all came as one shipment, and the staff set aside the preorders from that shipment, and what was leftover was for the non-pre orders..... maybe its changed, but it sounds like to me they used it as an excuse to double sell, get the money from the pre orders then sell all the initial shipment and use the second shipment as "pre order" stock... since they probably didnt have enough for all of the preorders at once...

just my thoughts.... i could be wrong...

the store i was at today had people in line at 11:30pm last night... but only about 20 had accumulated by 8am...
[/quote]

That wouldn't surprise me, and there was a red flag that would point in that direction. When I asked him if my phone was in, he said he had to check the back room. He went back there, came back out and said "Nope. The room's empty. Doesn't look like the preorder shipment came in yet".

Ummm, wouldn't he have known that already? How do you not know if an entire shipment of the most popular phone on the planet had come in or not?

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348257049' post='1160717']
Of course, on the flip side, there's supposed to be an automated email sent out when my phone arrives at the store. If that email truly is automated and is wired into the shipping process (with no interaction needed from the reps), then that might be hard for them to get around.
[/quote]

very true, never having worked with ATT on anything that may very well be the case, but such a system would seem rather pointless to even create, participant A(warehouse) will let participant C(you), know when participant B (store) gets an item in a shipment. Sprint has something called in store reservation, but it only notifies you with a confirmation email when you make a purchse to take that info to the store you chose, and the store is notified of the incoming order.

perhaps they scan the inventory into their "wait list" system when it arrives and then the wit list system notifies..

just talking out of my ass and thinking out loud...

but seems like a DICK MOVE to have people who already pre ordered sitting at home with a thumb in their ass while john smith who walked in at 8am gets a device already...

/conspiracy theory skepticism

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1348257780' post='1160719']
very true, never having worked with ATT on anything that may very well be the case, but such a system would seem rather pointless to even create, participant A(warehouse) will let participant C(you), know when participant B (store) gets an item in a shipment. Sprint has something called in store reservation, but it only notifies you with a confirmation email when you make a purchse to take that info to the store you chose, and the store is notified of the incoming order.

perhaps they scan the inventory into their "wait list" system when it arrives and then the wit list system notifies..

just talking out of my ass and thinking out loud...

but seems like a DICK MOVE to have people who already pre ordered sitting at home with a thumb in their ass while john smith who walked in at 8am gets a device already...

/conspiracy theory skepticism
[/quote]

not really conspiracy theory. I've had several stores sell pre-orders for blu-rays or video games only to be sold out when I go to pick up my preorder. You usually get a gift card if you bitch to corporate, but it's really not worth the time/effort. They don't all put things aside like they should considering that's why you put money down for it early.

Archived