Post Season Rotation??

Jason

I think it's fairly safe to assume at this point the Reds will make the post season and will likely be one of the top 2 seeds. If this is the case they will play the first 2 games on the road.

At this point I think the post season rotation will be all but Leake. Given Homer's struggles in GABP, what is your starting rotation in the PS, 1-4?

For me:

Johnny
Homer
Mat
Bronson

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1347577964' post='1158017']
I worry less about the splits and [b]put my best pitchers out there the most often[/b]. You may be getting Homer on the road in the first series, but how would that line up for the next?

Johnny
Latos
Bronson
Homer with a short leash to go to Leake in relief
[/quote]

In a 5 game series, only #1 will pitch more than once.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1347573888' post='1158003']
I think it's fairly safe to assume at this point the Reds will make the post season and will likely be one of the top 2 seeds. If this is the case they will play the first 2 games on the road.

At this point I think the post season rotation will be all but Leake. Given Homer's struggles in GABP, what is your starting rotation in the PS, 1-4?

For me:

Johnny
Homer
Mat
Bronson
[/quote]

Agreed. Got to play the odds, and that means you pitch Bailey on the road.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1347578914' post='1158023']
But won't the rotation pretty much stay the same for the next series?Then you're asking Homer to pitch 2 there.
[/quote]

Assuming we get the 2 seed, which looks fairly likely unless we catch washington or SF catches us...

We would play in the first round
Saturday-game 1
Sunday- Game 2
Tuesday-Game 3
Wed- Game 4
Thursday- Game 5

So in this case if you go Cueto-Homer-Latos-Arroyo, Latos would be pitching game 3 on Tuesday...the NLCS starts the following Sunday, so even though Latos pitched game 3, he could still easily pitch game 1 or 2 on normal rest. Depending on if the NLDS went 4 or 5 games would determine if Cueto could pitch game 1 (put if he pitches game 5 of the NLDS and wins he probably couldnt pitch again until game 3 of the NLCS, but we would play at WAS which means Id be fine going Latos-Homer in the first two on the road).

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1347623343' post='1158075']
Assuming we get the 2 seed, which looks fairly likely unless we catch washington or SF catches us...

We would play in the first round
Saturday-game 1
Sunday- Game 2
Tuesday-Game 3
Wed- Game 4
Thursday- Game 5

So in this case if you go Cueto-Homer-Latos-Arroyo, Latos would be pitching game 3 on Tuesday...the NLCS starts the following Sunday, so even though Latos pitched game 3, he could still easily pitch game 1 or 2 on normal rest. Depending on if the NLDS went 4 or 5 games would determine if Cueto could pitch game 1 (put if he pitches game 5 of the NLDS and wins he probably couldnt pitch again until game 3 of the NLCS, but we would play at WAS which means Id be fine going Latos-Homer in the first two on the road).
[/quote]

I didn't realize there was that much time between the series. In that case I'm fine having Homer go for game 2. As long as we aren't relying on Homer for more than 1 game in any series I'm happy.

I think you start with Cueto and then take a wait and see approach. If they lose game one, I think you have to go with Latos. Game two almost becomes a must win and Latos gives you the best chance. If they win game one, then I would go with Bailey in game two and Latos in game three.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1347637323' post='1158133']
I think you start with Cueto and then take a wait and see approach. If they lose game one, I think you have to go with Latos. Game two almost becomes a must win and Latos gives you the best chance. If they win game one, then I would go with Bailey in game two and Latos in game three.
[/quote]

I think that's a good point, though not sure if you can do it that way as you probably have to set it before the season ends.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347637505' post='1158138']

I think that's a good point, though not sure if you can do it that way as you probably have to set it before the season ends.
[/quote]

I don't think it would work because it would mess with guys warmups. You can't tell latos He is pitching Tuesday of we win Saturday but hes pitching Sunday if we lose on Saturday. Unfortunately it wouldn't work.

If we do play San Fran though I think I might have latos start game 1. He hates San Fran and usually dominates them. It's crazy but id honestly consider going latos bailey cueto.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1347638495' post='1158143']

I don't think it would work because it would mess with guys warmups. You can't tell latos He is pitching Tuesday of we win Saturday but hes pitching Sunday if we lose on Saturday. Unfortunately it wouldn't work.

If we do play San Fran though I think I might have latos start game 1. He hates San Fran and usually dominates them. It's crazy but id honestly consider going latos bailey cueto.
[/quote]

It would work. Teams do it all the time in postseason especially with their number one guy. You just have both pitchers prepare to pitch Sunday and then just push one back to Tue.

After acctualy looking at the schedule, I think you have to go with Cueto, Latos and then Bailey. That away if needed Cueto could pitch game 4 and Latos could pitch game 5.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1347641097' post='1158154']

It would work. Teams do it all the time in postseason especially with their number one guy. You just have both pitchers prepare to pitch Sunday and then just push one back to Tue.

After acctualy looking at the schedule, I think you have to go with Cueto, Latos and then Bailey. That away if needed Cueto could pitch game 4 and Latos could pitch game 5.
[/quote]

If cueto and latos pitch games 1 and 2 I guarantee you that arroyo would pitch games 3 at home not bailey. Also, I doubt baker uses cueto and latos on 3 days rest like you suggest.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1347642688' post='1158170']
If cueto and latos pitch games 1 and 2 I guarantee you that arroyo would pitch games 3 at home not bailey. Also, I doubt baker uses cueto and latos on 3 days rest like you suggest.
[/quote]

During the regular season I would agree the Cueto and Latos would not go on 3 days rest but everything gets thrown out the door for postseason. If the Reds are down 2-1, Dusty would have to use Cueto on 3 days rest. If the Reds are up 2-1, Cueto wont go on 3 days rest.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347637505' post='1158138']
[/quote]

You have to set the roster, but not necessarily the rotation.

[size=6][b]Reds change rotation[/b][/size]

09/16/12 at 12:16pm
• Written by jfay

MIAMI — The Reds flip-flopped the rotation. Instead of Mike Leake, Homer Bailey, Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto and Mat Latos, it’s now Bailey, Leake, Cueto, Arroyo and Latos.

I assume that sets the rotation for postseason as Cueto, Arroyo, Latos and Bailey. I also assume that Cueto won’t be skipped. My guess they’ll keep his innings to a minimum.

The clubhouse was closed when I realized the switch, so I didn’t get a chance to ask Dusty Baker or Bryan Price about it.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/09/16/reds-change-rotation/

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1348058766' post='1160007']
Hopefully Bailey is pitching himself into contention for the number 2 starter (for the NLDS starting on the road). Dude is dominant on the road. If you look at stats, Bailey on the road is better then any other pitcher on this roster either at home or on the road.
[/quote]

also looks like the switch to Hanigan is really helping him.

[size=6][b]Leake skipped, updated rotation[/b][/size]

The Reds have revealed an updated list of probable pitchers for the final week of the regular season.

Mike Leake was scheduled to start Tuesday vs. Milwaukee, but he is now being skipped and Johnny Cueto is moving up to make the start. Because of Monday’s off day, Cueto is still working on normal rest. He wasn’t tip-top sharp in his last start vs. the Cubs Thursday but still threw six scoreless innings and snapped a three-start losing streak. Leake will now pitch Saturday vs. the Pirates and Cueto will make his final regular season start on Sunday at Pittsburgh with a potential chance at getting 20 victories.

Here is the updated list of probable pitchers:

Tue vs Mil: RHP Johnny Cueto (18-9, 2.84) vs RHP Mike Fiers (9-8, 3.38)
Wed vs Mil: RHP Bronson Arroyo vs RHP Shaun Marcum (5-4, 3.86)
Thu vs Mil: RHP Mat Latos (13-4, 3.60) vs RHP Wily Peralta (2-1, 3.04)
Fri at Pit: RHP Homer Bailey (12-10, 3.92) vs TBA
Sat at Pit: RHP Mike Leake (8-9, 4.73) vs TBA
Sun at Pit: RHP Johnny Cueto vs TBA

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/09/24/leake-skipped-updated-rotation/

[quote name='Nati Ice' timestamp='1348534087' post='1162738']
Homer needs to be on the road. That is really all I care about.
[/quote]

Prob not happening in the nlds. Sounds like the plan is to have cueto and arroyo on the road then latos bailey cueto at home. Unless they make a change which is always possible

Sorry, this is sort of off-topic, but has to do with who they'll be playing. With the goofy new wild card set-up, is it still set up so there are no division games in the first round (ie.. we won't play the Cards or Brewers if we get the #1 seed.)?

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1348661299' post='1163298']
Sorry, this is sort of off-topic, but has to do with who they'll be playing. With the goofy new wild card set-up, is it still set up so there are no division games in the first round (ie.. we won't play the Cards or Brewers if we get the #1 seed.)?
[/quote]

No.

1 plays WC winner, regardless.

Archived