The Run Defense

After looking through some of the numbers I think the Bengals have made a mistake by moving away from the defensive tackle rotation they had last year. Are they waiting for Still and Thompson to get up to speed or are they waiting for Sims to come back? I just think it has become hurtfully obvious this line is not the same as it was last year. Fix it.

Peko and Atkins aren't playing really any higher than what they did last year. Atkins maybe played a few too many Sunday, but it wasn't drastic. It's just Still is not the same kind of run stuffer Sims is, Thompson hasn't gotten much of a chance, and they haven't adequately replaced Fanene as a swing guy. I also question if Geathers, who swings inside to DT often, is 100% from his surgery.

The rotation is still there, Devon Still is just not a run stuffer and Peko is having a down year IMO.

Need to get Brandon Thompson some more snaps.

I'd have all 4 DT's active Sunday. Stop MJD and you should win going away.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1348524808' post='1162706']
Peko and Atkins aren't playing really any higher than what they did last year. It's just Still is not the same kind of run stuffer Sims is, Thompson hasn't gotten much of a chance, and they haven't adequately replaced Fanene as a swing guy.

The rotation is still there, Still is just not a run stuffer and Peko is having a down year IMO.

Need to get Brandon Thompson some more snaps.

I'd have all 4 DT's active Sunday. Stop MJD and you should win going away.
[/quote]

Well it's not just their play, but the play of the LBs behind them is being affected. If linemen are doing combo blocks the line isn't holding them up long enough for the LBs to get to the point of attack.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348524982' post='1162707']
Well it's not just their play, but the play of the LBs behind them is being affected. If linemen are doing combo blocks the line isn't holding them up long enough for the LBs to get to the point of attack.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that. We all know Maualuga is struggling, but I also think the Dline isn't doing a good job of keeping him clean. Rey needs to do a better job of shedding blocks, but guards also shouldn't be getting to him and the other backers untouched as often as they do.

Part of why Ray Lewis is who he is, is because the big uglies up front keep olinemen off of him.

Why is Brandon Thompson getting so few snaps? I thought him and Still were supposed to be getting about the same. Also, it's sad that we are in same position again this year (despite Still and Thompson being on the roster), in that we are still crying out for the return of Pat Sims from his latest injury.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1348530842' post='1162729']
Why is Brandon Thompson getting so few snaps? I thought him and Still were supposed to be getting about the same. Also, it's sad that we are in same position again this year (despite Still and Thompson being on the roster), in that we are still crying out for the return of Pat Sims from his latest injury.
[/quote]

I don't think he hustles.

Burfict played less than a third of the snaps, while getting 7 tackles. Vinny Rey played about 2/3rd of the snaps and got 4 and was beaten a lot. I remember mentioning that it was noticeable how much better they looked with Burfict in than with Rey.

Dunlap had a huge impact on this game. Griffin was bottled up and our D did not look outclassed by him in the scramble and run game. I was proud of them, especially the first half.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1348547601' post='1162822']
Burfict played less than a third of the snaps, while getting 7 tackles. Vinny Rey played about 2/3rd of the snaps and got 4 and was beaten a lot. I remember mentioning that it was noticeable how much better they looked with Burfict in than with Rey.

Dunlap had a huge impact on this game. Griffin was bottled up and our D did not look outclassed by him in the scramble and run game. I was proud of them, especially the first half.
[/quote]

From what the announcers were saying during the game, Burfict was playing running downs, and they were bringing in Vinny Rey for obvious passing downs. Its looks as if Vinny Rey played a lot more than just passing downs. I think Burfict did fine in the preseason covering guys, in fact he had an interception. Burfict needs to stay on the field as much as possible, even is that means putting on a zebra shirt calling penalties.

Archived