My First Way Too Early Mock Draft

Jason

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]1. CJ Mosley OLB Alabama [/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]2a. Kenny Vaccaro SS Texas[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]2b. Carrington Byndom CB Texas[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]3. Brandon Jenkins DE FSU[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]4. Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]5. LaAdrion Waddle OL Texas Tech[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]I think Burfict moves inside next year, Mosley takes one of the outside spots. No one else that would meet a need is currently raked about where I think we will be picking or later.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Vaccaro is the top SS on some boards, and has very good speed.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Byndom is the fastest of the top CBs (according to the draft sites) and that's what I want.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Jenkins is out for the year with a foot injury. He may not come out, or he may move up at the combine, but he is currently ranked about here.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Barner provides more speed on offense. If B. Scott steps it up the rest of the year they may look elsewhere.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Waddle is a big body tackle, taking for depth.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1348701248' post='1163510']
No idea. That is where he is ranked right now though.
[/quote]

Nope, with the way Oregon keeps on playing he'll eventually get up to Lamar Miller status as a second rounder. I also think the Bengals won't wait too long to take a RB after Herron kind of come across as a bust. I definitely see safety, OT, and RB as the top priorities next year.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348701880' post='1163511']
Nope, with the way Oregon keeps on playing he'll eventually get up to Lamar Miller status as a second rounder. I also think the Bengals won't wait too long to take a RB after Herron kind of come across as a bust. I definitely see safety, [b]OT[/b], and RB as the top priorities next year.
[/quote]

Only if they don't re-sign Andre.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1348702198' post='1163513']
Only if they don't re-sign Andre.
[/quote]

You as well as I know, generally Mike Brown doesn't pay high dollars for free agent offensive linemen. Teams might as well be giving Andre partying gifts because he will be playing for a team like NE, GB, or some other more favorable team.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348702969' post='1163521']
You as well as I know, generally Mike Brown doesn't pay high dollars for free agent offensive linemen. Teams might as well be giving Andre partying gifts because he will be playing for a team like NE, GB, or some other more favorable team.
[/quote]

yea, that one example. Steinbach.

In recent years alone Whitworth, Anderson, Jones, and Cook have all gotten longterm extensions. In fact, Whitworth has gotten two.

There's no reason to think they won't re-sign Andre Smith.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1348706013' post='1163528']
yea, that one example. Steinbach.

In recent years alone Whitworth, Anderson, Jones, and Cook have all gotten longterm extensions. In fact, Whitworth has gotten two.

There's no reason to think they won't re-sign Andre Smith.
[/quote]

Any of those guys that got paid what is considered 'well' never made it to free agency. Have you so quickly forgotten Stacy Andrews?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348706256' post='1163530']
Any of those guys that got paid what is considered 'well' never made it to free agency. Have you so quickly forgotten Stacy Andrews?
[/quote]

Why do you assume Andre Smith will make it to free agency? Whit never did, nor Jones, or Cook, or Anderson.

And Stacey Andrews is the best you got? It wouldn't have been bad for him to re-sign, but let's not pretend he was some huge loss.

Two olinemen in recent memory have left Cincy for big deals. Andrews and Steinbach. Both ended up being busts with their new teams. Pretty hard to argue that the Bengals got it wrong.

You can say a lot of things about Mike Brown. But 9 times out of 10, he pays homegrown players who are worth keeping. The one exception is Joseph. Steinbach, Madieu, Andrews, and Housh are all examples of guys who got far more than they were worth, and not one of them did a damn thing after leaving the Bengals. Justin Smith could go either way. A position change and re-focused effort (it came out recently how he didn't film study much as a Bengal) has invigorated him. Justin today isn't the same player he was as a Bengal.

Geathers, Peko, Cook, Palmer, Chad, Whitworth, Rudi and Hall are just some of the examples of guys they gave big extensions to. Palmer, Chad and Whit got multiple extensions for that matter.

That's a lot of spam as far as I am concerned. Those players of the past didn't have so much young talent on their team the way this one does. If you had to decide one guy leaves out of a group made of Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Smith who goes? I thought we were just talking about linemen, but you decided to change the argument to ALL free agents. Why no mention of Joseph then?

Steinbech was no bust in Cleveland, he just played for some awful teams before becoming injured. Andrews is the A-typical tackle in the NFL, where the lack or great tackles causes many guys to get overpaid for their talent...which was my specific reasoning on Smith. Once again, injuries cost Andrews from success.

Funny how when you were losing this argument you changed what we were talking about.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348725318' post='1163558']
That's a lot of spam as far as I am concerned. Those players of the past didn't have so much young talent on their team the way this one does. If you had to decide one guy leaves out of a group made of Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Smith who goes? I thought we were just talking about linemen, but you decided to change the argument to ALL free agents. Why no mention of Joseph then?

Steinbech was no bust in Cleveland, he just played for some awful teams before becoming injured. Andrews is the A-typical tackle in the NFL, where the lack or great tackles causes many guys to get overpaid for their talent...which was my specific reasoning on Smith. Once again, injuries cost Andrews from success.

Funny how when you were losing this argument you changed what we were talking about.
[/quote]

1) I DID bring up Joseph

2) I addressed just olinemen first, and then also brought up young talent as a whole. Its called being thorough.

3) Steinbach was a disappointment in Cleveland, no matter how you try to spin it.

4) There's money to keep Dalton, Green, Atkins, AND Smith. MJ, Dunlap and Gresham too. They don't all have to be extended the same year. In fact, they can't be extended in the same year. The Bengals also have a lot of cap space available, presumably for that very reason.

Smith and MJ can be extended this season. Dunlap, Atkins and Gresham can't be extended until the new year (and new cap) starts in March 2013. Dalton and Green can't be extended until March 2014.

The Bengals are roughly $15 million under the cap currently. More than enough to sign Smith and MJ during this season. Nearly $10 million comes off the books in March from Geathers and Clements' contracts alone. Other money will free up as other vet contracts come up, and any extra cap space can be carried forward to future caps.

There's more than enough money to keep everyone. It's just a matter of getting it done.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1348748461' post='1163578']
1) I DID bring up Joseph

2) I addressed just olinemen first, and then also brought up young talent as a whole. Its called being thorough.

3) Steinbach was a disappointment in Cleveland, no matter how you try to spin it.

4) There's money to keep Dalton, Green, Atkins, AND Smith. MJ, Dunlap and Gresham too. They don't all have to be extended the same year. In fact, they can't be extended in the same year. The Bengals also have a lot of cap space available, presumably for that very reason.

Smith and MJ can be extended this season. Dunlap, Atkins and Gresham can't be extended until the new year (and new cap) starts in March 2013. Dalton and Green can't be extended until March 2014.

The Bengals are roughly $15 million under the cap currently. More than enough to sign Smith and MJ during this season. Nearly $10 million comes off the books in March from Geathers and Clements' contracts alone. Other money will free up as other vet contracts come up, and any extra cap space can be carried forward to future caps.

There's more than enough money to keep everyone. It's just a matter of getting it done.
[/quote]

I don't remember you bringing up Joseph. Even if you did, you were just contradicting your argument. The major reason he left for the Texans was he didn't get much of a signing bonus from the Bengals. The funny thing is, yeah the Bengals had plenty of cap space.....and Gatorade.

Steinbach was a Pro Bowl alternate one of his years in Cleveland. If the Bengals had resigned him Whitworth would have been would have been playing tackle during his rookie year and who knows what kind of success that could have created,

Wait so I start discussing losing Smith and Mike Brown's theory of not dishing out big bucks signing offensive lineman, and then you start discussing other position players and their contracts, and then you state how you are being 'thorough'. What it really is, is you grasping for straws by introducing players that have absolutely nothing to do with the argument. You can throw in the towel anytime. The Bengals turned down Smith's option on his rookie contract already, and that was even when started to play well.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348771027' post='1163724']
I don't remember you bringing up Joseph. Even if you did, you were just contradicting your argument. The major reason he left for the Texans was he didn't get much of a signing bonus from the Bengals. The funny thing is, yeah the Bengals had plenty of cap space.....and Gatorade.

Steinbach was a Pro Bowl alternate one of his years in Cleveland. If the Bengals had resigned him Whitworth would have been would have been playing tackle during his rookie year and who knows what kind of success that could have created,

Wait so I start discussing losing Smith and Mike Brown's theory of not dishing out big bucks signing offensive lineman, and then you start discussing other position players and their contracts, and then you state how you are being 'thorough'. What it really is, is you grasping for straws by introducing players that have absolutely nothing to do with the argument. You can throw in the towel anytime. The Bengals turned down Smith's option on his rookie contract already, and that was even when started to play well.
[/quote]

good grief. It would help if you knew what you were arguing.

1) I'm sorry you missed the part on Joseph. That's on you though.

2) One good year in Cleveland doesn't a career make. He was benched the next year for poor play and he never lived up to the contract he signed. Browns fans will readily tell you that.

3) I listed 4 offensive linemen since 2006 who have gotten big extensions. Funny you keep ignoring that.

4) Not really sure why you're whining about other young talent being brought up, its sad you're using that as a means of ignoring point 3.

5) You're flat wrong on when they had to pick up Smith's option, and it just makes you look foolish. At the time they had to decide on Smith's option, he had played 13 (5 starts) out of a possible 33 games. He had also showed up to training camp out of shape two years in a row. If you want to fault them for not choosing to pick up his option then you can, but it won't get you anywhere.

Anywho, let's return this thread to Jason.

btw, for you to be winning this argument, you actually have to have decent one.

You're entire argument hinges on Stacey Andrews, Eric Steinbach, and the fact that they didn't pick up Andre's option after missing 20 of his first 33 games. That's weak.

Compare that to the extensions of Whit (twice), Cook, Levi Jones, and Willie Anderson who received multiple extensions during his career.

Plus the fact that they have a history of keeping most of their young talent, and they have more than enough cap space.

You think you were ever winning that argument? Seriously? :lol:

Jason, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Whatever man if it makes you feel better go ahead and think you are winning. You could not name one offensive lineman from the Bengals that went into free agency and come back to the Bengals. Instead you mentioned players at other positions, which had nothing to do with previous argument. Several people on this board have agreed that Mike Brown doesn't like dropping lots of cash on a free agent lineman. Just like Stacy Andrews, Smith is a tackle and that is a high paid position in the NFL. Stacy played decently last year after getting over injuries. The Bengals could have locked him up for another year, but they decided not to. Now tell me how anything I said isn't an argument full of facts?

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1348850214' post='1163925']
Burficit Part Deux

[img]http://behindblondiepark.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Untitled7.jpg[/img]

Honey Badger... Bayou Bengal to Cincinnati Bengal... The Bengals should do what they need to do to take what THEY want.
[/quote]

I don't think he's coming out in 2013.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1348853758' post='1163937']
I don't think he's coming out in 2013.
[/quote]

I thought he was kicked off the team... but lost track.
Is he back or picked up by some pud pounders like the Florida Union College of Knowledge University... terrible school, great sweatshirts...
FUCK U?

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1348855702' post='1163944']
I thought he was kicked off the team... but lost track.
Is he back or picked up by some pud pounders like the Florida Union College of Knowledge University... terrible school, great sweatshirts...
FUCK U?
[/quote]

last I heard he was staying at LSU and attending classes and with that obviously not playing football anywhere. So I question that he'd come out after sitting an entire season. If he intended to come out I think he'd be at some "pud pounder" right now keeping his draft stock up.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1348859943' post='1163958']
The Bengals don't tend to take safeties in 1, and Reid is more a FS than SS.
[/quote]

I don't think you can rule it out though. They had never taken a corner in round 1 before 2006 and they've taken 3 since. They had never taken a guard round 1 until last year.

With the re-signing of Crocker they clearly see a hole at safety. If it still exists in April I don't think they'd hesistate to take one in round 1 if they had one graded out that way.

Archived