My First Way Too Early Mock Draft

Jason

I don't know how I forgot about him, but Lattimore from S. Carolina is going to push Ball down the draft charts. Watching Kentucky and S. Carolina now and Lattimore catches the ball with so much easy, his hands are incredibly soft. He would be the PERFECT West Coast back.

Oddly enough after looking at Walter's they don't have ball going until WAY after the Bengals. They also have Te'o going one pick after the Bengals.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1348697520' post='1163500']
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]1. CJ Mosley OLB Alabama [/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]2a. Kenny Vaccaro SS Texas[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]2b. Carrington Byndom CB Texas[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]3. Brandon Jenkins DE FSU[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]4. Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]5. LaAdrion Waddle OL Texas Tech[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]I think Burfict moves inside next year, Mosley takes one of the outside spots. No one else that would meet a need is currently raked about where I think we will be picking or later.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Vaccaro is the top SS on some boards, and has very good speed.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Byndom is the fastest of the top CBs (according to the draft sites) and that's what I want.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Jenkins is out for the year with a foot injury. He may not come out, or he may move up at the combine, but he is currently ranked about here.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Barner provides more speed on offense. If B. Scott steps it up the rest of the year they may look elsewhere.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Waddle is a big body tackle, taking for depth.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I like it. Agree with the needs and like most of the players, though I don't know a ton about Mosley.

B. Scott is a FA after this year and I believe he'll be 29 years old, which is getting up there for a RB.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348964051' post='1164129']
I don't know how I forgot about him, but Lattimore from S. Carolina is going to push Ball down the draft charts. Watching Kentucky and S. Carolina now and Lattimore catches the ball with so much easy, his hands are incredibly soft. He would be the PERFECT West Coast back.

Oddly enough after looking at Walter's they don't have ball going until WAY after the Bengals. They also have Te'o going one pick after the Bengals.
[/quote]

Ball is not very good. He is going to be this year's Chris Polk and people will be shocked at how far he falls.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348964051' post='1164129']

[/quote]
Perfect back. Explosive, hard to take down, can catch, and can block.

We'd be very luck to add him to the team. Though, I think with BJGE, they look for a smaller scatback. I'd hope they'd pull the trigger if he were there though. He was a top 5 pick before he had the leg injury. With Trent playing fairly poorly, it could push the really good backs down the board towards us.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1348859943' post='1163958']
The Bengals don't tend to take safeties in 1, and Reid is more a FS than SS.
[/quote]

I think we can finally put this "Bengals don't take" meme to rest at this point, can't we?

3 years ago, it was the Bengals don't take TEs in the 1st when people were talking about Gresham and Gronkowski because the Bengals hadn't taken a TE in the 1st round in 30 some years.

2 years ago, it was the Bengals don't take WRs in the 1st when people were talking about Aj and Julio because it had been over 20 years since we took a 1st round WR.

Last year, it was the Bengals don't take OGs in the 1st when people were talking about Decastro/Zeitler/Glenn because it had been forever since we took a 1st round OG.

If anything, I'd start looking at the positions the Bengals haven't addressed in the 1st round in a long time and thinking that IS what we are going to pick, instead of using that history to discount said position.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1348875367' post='1163986']
I"ll take a shot:

1. OLB CJ Mosley, Alabama
2a. DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina
2b. S Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma
3. RB Ray Graham, Pittsburgh
4. CB/S Prentiss Waggner, Tennessee
[/quote]

1. LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State
2. RB Kenjon Barner, Oregon
3. CB Travis Howard, Ohio State
4. OT Xavier Nixon, Florida
5. LB Brandon Magee, Arizona State

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1348925009' post='1164048']
Mathieu needs to be on this team in two years. He has more ball skills than all of our defense combined.
[/quote]

Say goodbye to your wishes, I just read on ESPN.com

[quote][url="http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8552111/espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/504168/tyrann-mathieu"]Tyrann Mathieu[/url] and three other former [url="http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/99/lsu-tigers"]LSU[/url] football players were arrested Thursday on drug-related charges.[/quote]

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8552111/tyrann-mathieu-former-lsu-tigers-cornerback-arrested-drug-charges

This guy has to be one of the biggest idiots of all time. Giving away a career that would net him millions of dollars, and he still can't stay off the icky stinky.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1351215128' post='1174623']
Who knows. Janoris Jenkins probably dropped maybe 30 spots because of his marijuana habit. It's just not that huge of a deal.
[/quote]

This is a lot more than just a pot habit. The guy failed "several" drug test before he was eventually kicked off LSU. Now he gets busted with a group of ex-LSU players. This guy obviously has a Ricky Williams type addiction to pot. As good as he is on the field, he won't do a team a bit of good if he is suspended.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351218144' post='1174637']
Funny thing about his latest arrest? You guessed it, he just got out of rehab.

:whistle:
[/quote]

He's a knucklehead for sure, but after this arrest he has two options... Go to another school like Janoris Jenkins and try to get some stability back, and show the NFL that he can redeem himself. Or, come out for the 2013 draft and get drafted very low, and try to do a Burfict.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350648447' post='1172148']

1. LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State
2. RB Kenjon Barner, Oregon
3. CB Travis Howard, Ohio State
4. OT Xavier Nixon, Florida
5. LB Brandon Magee, Arizona State
[/quote]

I don't see Brown as a first round guy, but he's a nice player. Might be more of a 3-4 rush LB but I've been a fan of Jarvis Jones. Makes a ton of big plays, which is always a plus... and hard to find. He was a beast today vs. Florida.

Love Tony Jefferson... Not sure how fast he is, and OU safeties have pretty much sucked in the NFL, but he's got great ball skills, he tackles well and he plays with a lot of confidence.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1351381839' post='1175071']
I don't see Brown as a first round guy, but he's a nice player. Might be more of a 3-4 rush LB but I've been a fan of Jarvis Jones. Makes a ton of big plays, which is always a plus... and hard to find. He was a beast today vs. Florida.

Love Tony Jefferson... Not sure how fast he is, and OU safeties have pretty much sucked in the NFL, but he's got great ball skills, he tackles well and he plays with a lot of confidence.
[/quote]

lol, see I think Jones is a 3-4 rush LB.

It should be shaping up nice for the Bengals. Both the LB class and RB class looking to be pretty deep.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351386862' post='1175092']

It should be shaping up nice for the Bengals. Both the LB class and RB class looking to be pretty deep.
[/quote]

Jones is a great rush backer, but he can do a lot more. I don't think we will be picking high enough to get him, but I'd be all over that.

If Jones is there he is a must take for the Bengals. He is an absolute playmaker that this D needs. The one thing that will be interesting to see is once he gets to the combine and doctors start poking and prodding if he will drop any. He has been healthy at UGA but USC would not medically clear him to play a couple years ago. I wonder if teams will try to use that to get him to drop.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1351388901' post='1175102']
If Jones is there he is a must take for the Bengals. He is an absolute playmaker that this D needs. The one thing that will be interesting to see is once he gets to the combine and doctors start poking and prodding if he will drop any. He has been healthy at UGA but USC would not medically clear him to play a couple years ago. I wonder if teams will try to use that to get him to drop.
[/quote]

In sports you just never really know. Some college teams will take a guy with degenerative problems because they know he is only going to be with the team so long. When it comes to the pros, they have to be so restrictive that they judge every inch of a player. If a guy has flat feet, or anything like that, they still take it very seriously. The ultimate goal when a team drafts a top of the draft pick, is that he is going to be a solid contributor for years to come.

Look at Jared Sullinger. He was going to be a top 10 if not top 5 pick in the NBA draft. Problem was, at the combine a MRI of his back was done, and it came back that he had bad discs in his back. It's a type of injury that can be a re-occurring problem that can only be solved with a a risky surgery. Sullinger dropped to #21, taken by the Celtics. That was a huge chunk of money that he lost because of an ailment he didn't even know he had.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1349549558' post='1166588']
I like it. Agree with the needs and like most of the players, though I don't know a ton about Mosley.

B. Scott is a FA after this year and I believe he'll be 29 years old, which is getting up there for a RB.

Ball is not very good. He is going to be this year's Chris Polk and people will be shocked at how far he falls.
[/quote]

Ball had only 46 yards rushing and no touchdowns today against Michigan State. Le'Veon Bell didn't fair much better with 77 yards rushing, 8 yards receiving, and no TDs.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351386862' post='1175092']

[/quote]

Right, that's what I was saying re Jones. I think 3-4 rush LB is his best position, but he could be very good as a 4-3 as well. Very athletic, and love that he flat out makes big plays... And in big games.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1351381839' post='1175071']

Love Tony Jefferson... [b]Not sure how fast he is[/b], and OU safeties have pretty much sucked in the NFL, but he's got great ball skills, he tackles well and he plays with a lot of confidence.
[/quote]
TJ's a low/mid 4.4 guy. The thing with him is that he looks like he plays faster than that due to him reading his keys so well. He's one of the most instinctual players I've seen in quite a while, & can diagnose a play like nobody's business.

Just to echo some thoughts of others previously in this thread, it does look like a really good draft for what the Bengals need.

I'd list the top 4 needs as LB, S, DE and RB. I think LB and S are the two strongest positions in the entire draft and DE isn't too far behind as there are a lot of those guys as well. RB is the one area that looks pretty weak. But the Bengals don't necessarily need a stud there. A 2nd or 3rd round change of pace type guy who can catch the ball on 3rd down would be a big help, and I think there are a few of those type of guys available.

In terms of mock draft, I could see us going for a top notch DE in the 1st. Maybe one of the LSU guys. Then LB/S in the 2nd round. I like both of the UGA Safeties and there are a handful of intriguing LBs who should be available early 2nd round. Then use the mid-round picks to upgrade the offense with a RB, some developmental OL, etc.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1351881837' post='1176567']
Just to echo some thoughts of others previously in this thread, it does look like a really good draft for what the Bengals need.

I'd list the top 4 needs as LB, S, DE and RB. I think LB and S are the two strongest positions in the entire draft and DE isn't too far behind as there are a lot of those guys as well. RB is the one area that looks pretty weak. But the Bengals don't necessarily need a stud there. A 2nd or 3rd round change of pace type guy who can catch the ball on 3rd down would be a big help, and I think there are a few of those type of guys available.

In terms of mock draft, I could see us going for a top notch DE in the 1st. Maybe one of the LSU guys. Then LB/S in the 2nd round. I like both of the UGA Safeties and there are a handful of intriguing LBs who should be available early 2nd round. Then use the mid-round picks to upgrade the offense with a RB, some developmental OL, etc.
[/quote]

why do you think RB is shaking up to be weak? I think its looking like a very good class.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351882169' post='1176568']
why do you think RB is shaking up to be weak? I think its looking like a very good class.
[/quote]

It's fairly deep, but with the injury to Lattimore there really isn't a first round back, let alone an "elite" one.

Archived