Auto Thieves Target Cincinnati Bengals Fans

For thieves, trolling garages and parking lots is their job -- and they are very good at it. It takes seconds to smash car windows and get what you left behind -- and some parking lots and garages get hit a lot. Local 12's Deborah Dixon talked to police, who say the crooks have recently been targeting Cincinnati Bengals fans.

Police say many victims put their purses and GPS units in the trunk of their cars, thinking that will keep them safe while they watch the big game. But the crooks are watching and as soon as you leave to walk to the stadium, they'll attack.

Many times, they smash the window with a rock. "All they're going to do is take that as hard as they can, on drivers side, smash out the window, reach in, hit the trunk release, get the purse and off they go. We've had people with purses and stolen credit cards. They were taken and then they went to Kenwood Mall and charged $5000 worth of items in 35 minutes."

Even a few quarters or a phone cord are worth a window break. And hiding the GPS bracket doesn't help. "This car, you can see the suction cup mark. That's the first clue he probably has one, it's worth a try can get $20-25 for taking it."

Some lots and garages are getting hit harder than others. Captain Kim Frey says, "Right now, hot spots are Sixth and Elm parking garage and surface lots around 4th and the Tower Place Mall."

Captain Frey says it would be so easy to put the thieves out of business. "If you're not going to take it in, don't bring it, leave it at home. Don't even bring it down." Or put it in the trunk before you leave home, so the crooks can't see your hiding anything.

There are deputies in the lots when people are parking-but those officer move inside and work security during the games. Some suspects have been arrested based on DNA evidence at the scene-they are cut on the broken windows and detectives can get a blood sample. But they always bond out.

Captain Frey says the Bengals plan to e-mail season ticket holders and warn them about the thieves prowling parking lots and garages.

(Video in the link)

http://www.local12.com/News/Local/story/Auto-Thieves-Target-Cincinnati-Bengals-Fans/QFDe_t0wkUCLG1lgn1GqWQ.cspx

FWIW... heard one of the local ranking police officers on a radio interview and he said the number one crime in downtown Cincinnati is smash and grab from parked cars. Bengal games simply means more cars from which to choose. I would guess something similar happens at big Reds games or concerts, Oktoberfest, Taste of Cincinnati, etc. Whatever... I think it may have a lot to do with the availability of the cars than the event per se.

Couple of hot chicks robbed me and my friend after we got blow jobs in new Orleans and stole our credit cards. They bought tickets to the saints and aa bunch of shit from Walmart on my card :lol:

But however, that is a perfect time to robb someone. You have 4 hours to shop on their credit cards!

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1349365478' post='1166185']
Something similar happened to me in Cleveland last week. I left two Browns tickets lying on the dash of the car and someone broke in and left two more.
[/quote]

It was Rumble.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1349365478' post='1166185']
Something similar happened to me in Cleveland last week. I left two Browns tickets lying on the dash of the car and someone broke in and left two more.
[/quote]

Begs the question... what were you doing with two Browns tickets to begin with hmmmmm?

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1349389524' post='1166321']
Begs the question... what were you doing with two Browns tickets to begin with hmmmmm?
[/quote]

It's part of a new traffic program up there. If you're cited on a traffic violation, you are given two Browns tickets. If it's your second offense, you are required to use the tickets.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1349408818' post='1166350']
It's part of a new traffic program up there. If you're cited on a traffic violation, you are given two Browns tickets. If it's your second offense, you are required to use the tickets.
[/quote]

How many offense until they leave a Brown's Super Bowl trophy in your car?

[quote name='turningpoint' timestamp='1349456523' post='1166453']
Security cameras are really expensive nowadays. :35:
[/quote]

Hell not long ago there was guys running around Wal-Mart stealing catalytic converters off cars while they shopped. You would think that the guys would get caught by at least some other customers, but it went on for awhile. How pissed would you be to come out and start your car and it sounds like a lawn mower?

Archived