Miami Heat Roster

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350930603' post='1173743']
Why do y'all think Battier is awesome? He is mediocre. Tell me some criteria of why he is good in your eyes.
[/quote]

He is supposed to be a great team player. He is very intelligent and is like having a coach on the court. He's not the best scorer, but has averaged 5+ rebounds per game. He's a pretty good free throw shooter so he can stay on the court late during close games.

[quote]Battier was recently chosen as the seventh smartest professional athlete by [i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_News"]Sporting News[/url].[/i][/quote]

Teams can't afford to have All Stars at every position, so Battier because a role player. He's role this team is like Kevin McHale, Michael Cooper, or John Salley.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350932126' post='1173757']
McHale was one of the most unstoppable low post dudes ever, why are you even daring to put Battier in the same category?
[/quote]

Not even close! McHale was like the third or fourth option on those teams. I loved McHale's post move with the play fake and the up and under move, but he was just a role player.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350939721' post='1173808']
So wrong. You realize he was voted to the top 50 all time NBA players EVER, right?
[/quote]

Yeah mostly because of the guys that played around him. Just like Scottie Pippin being on the 50 all time NBA players. Pippin rode Jordan's coat tails. When Jordan retired and Pippin was supposed to be the main man, he couldn't do it and Tony Kucoc had to carry him. If you don't agree with me on McHale, that's fine, but you still get the point I'm making. Insert Jeff Hornaceck or Robert Horry in his place.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350940796' post='1173815']
Yeah mostly because of the guys that played around him. Just like Scottie Pippin being on the 50 all time NBA players. Pippin rode Jordan's coat tails. When Jordan retired and Pippin was supposed to be the main man, he couldn't do it and Tony Kucoc had to carry him. If you don't agree with me on McHale, that's fine, but you still get the point I'm making. Insert Jeff Hornaceck or Robert Horry in his place.
[/quote]

Pippen did take over when Jordan left. They won 55 games in 93. Pippen was on the first team all-NBA and the lead the Bulls in scoring, assist and steals.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350940953' post='1173816']
Wow, you're truly stupid Lewdog. No offense.
[/quote]

Haha really? I lived the and watched the games through the 80's. I'm a Pistons fan . I was more a fan in the 80's when Adrian Dantley, Kelly Tripuca, and Isaiah Thomas. Isaiah was my favorite player of all time. It's one thing to say I'm stupid and to disagree with my opinion. I'm far from stupid. I just don't see McHale as a star. That's fine, but calling me stupid...eh.

:32:

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1350941902' post='1173819']
Pippen did take over when Jordan left. They won 55 games in 93. Pippen was on the first team all-NBA and the lead the Bulls in scoring, assist and steals.
[/quote]

Pippin didn't do all that well after Jordan left. I can vividly remember Pippin sitting on the bench at the end of the game and the Bulls letting Kukoc taking the final shot.

Pippen's stats took a hard decline a hard decline following the 1996-1997 season.

[url="http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html"]http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html[/url]

Um, they won 57 the year before Jordan retired. 55 the year after he retired. Scottie carried that team. They barely lost to the Knicks in the ECF. You're crazy, homie.

PS If I had a "team" in the NBA it was for sure the Bad Boys Pistons. Laimbeer was cool.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350942096' post='1173821']
Pippin didn't do all that well after Jordan left. I can vividly remember Pippin sitting on the bench at the end of the game and the Bulls letting Kucoc taking the final shot.
[/quote]

If he did not do well then how did me make the all-NBA team and all-defensive team? Or how did he lead the team in points, steals, assist and second in blocks and rebounds.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1350942456' post='1173825']
If he did not do well then how did me make the all-NBA team and all-defensive team? Or how did he lead the team in points, steals, assist and second in blocks and rebounds.
[/quote]
[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350942711' post='1173826']
Lewdog, if your at the computer all day, howcome you didn't take 5 seconds to google how awesome McHale and Pippen are? I don't know how you can call them "coattail" guys.
[/quote]

There were a lot of new era guys that made that "50" team that didn't rightly deserve it. Players of the early stages of the NBA didn't get much credit.. Teams like the Lakers and Celtics of the 80's as well as the Bulls of the 90's received a lot of accolades because of the unit on the floor. Look at Miami now, as individuals, LeBron and Wade are stars. Bosh was considered a pretty good player, but now he is receiving a lot more attention as part of the big 3.

Sois, there is absolutely no reason to be a dick. In another thread you asked about some of my background and I told you. Now you are going to start shit because I'm online a lot? You have absolutely no idea about the circumstances of my life at the moment. Kharma is a pretty big bitch, so maybe you should think before you post asshole comments towards people.

I'm not being a dic, I'm seriously wondering why you didn't google mchale's stats and career accomplishments. Stop being butthurt, i was sincerely asking why you would make such a ludicrous statement with ZERO information to back it up. You want people to think your credible when talking about NBA, it's best not to say that one of the 50 greatest guys of all time was a mere role player.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350944280' post='1173833']
I'm not being a dic, I'm seriously wondering why you didn't google mchale's stats and career accomplishments. Stop being butthurt, i was sincerely asking why you would make such a ludicrous statement with ZERO information to back it up. You want people to think your credible when talking about NBA, it's best not to say that one of the 50 greatest guys of all time was a mere role player.
[/quote]

I don't have to look up either of their stats to know what I watched. McHale plays during a different time than we have today. The picture of the NBA was a fast and furious up and down tempo. Boston had some set plays but a large portion of the time Dennis Johnson and Danny Ainge were pressing the ball up court. Bird, of course was good at everything. Most importantly he was able to open the middle because defenders had to guard the three. Robert Perrish and McHale made their dough on the pick and roll. I know you have to be better than to think stats tell the whole story, if not I have a bridge to sell you. Like I said, take it how you want but I watched the guys play and I have a different vision than you do. Isn't it ironic the Isaiah Thomas is one of the top 50 players of all time, but wasn't on the Dream Team? Sure he got picked for the second Dream Team, which he couldn't play in because of a torn achilles, but he deserved to be on the first one.

Please don't pander me by saying I'm butt hurt. I was giving you a legitimate response, because you don't know my situation and why I'm on line a lot. I don't go around sharing all my personal information to random people on line. I'm sure there are others on here that feel the same way. You need to more respectful when attacking someone's personal life if you don't know what's going on.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1350948553' post='1173857']
Is it a coincidence the Heat finally did it when they brought him in? Nah. Funny that the Duke fan term was brought up. Becuase Shane has won more legit 'ships than Cal. Cause he's a man. Not a babypussy.

Shane could probably beat up Lebron. And he's not a pussy like Bosh. He's basically a badder version of Rodman. He does the dirty stuff like play good defense and get loose balls. Gets the team extra possessions. No coincidence the Grizz put Shane on KD35 in 2011 and took those guys 7 games.
[/quote]

Battier might be a scrapper but he is not as good a rebounder than Rodman nor as good at defense. He is a better team player, and can most definitely shoot the ball better, especially at the foul line where he averages between 75%-80% in years. Rodman was usually only a 50%-60% free throw shooter.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350950462' post='1173862']
1. Isn't it ironic the Isaiah Thomas is one of the top 50 players of all time, but wasn't on the Dream Team? Sure he got picked for the second Dream Team, which he couldn't play in because of a torn achilles, but he deserved to be on the first one.

2. Please don't pander me by saying I'm butt hurt. I was giving you a legitimate response, because you don't know my situation and why I'm on line a lot. I don't go around sharing all my personal information to random people on line. I'm sure there are others on here that feel the same way. You need to more respectful when attacking someone's personal life if you don't know what's going on.
[/quote]

1. It wasn't ironic, Thomas is one of the all time best but they didn't like him to they blackballed him off the team. Yes he deserved to be on the first Dream Team.

2. You are acting buthurt. I'm not commenting about your situation, but you ARE online a lot (as are a lot of us). That being the case, I was just wondering how you could say Battier = McHale. Now that you have explained yourself, I am still baffled as to how anyone that watched basketball would have your position. Seriously though, you are level 10 butthurt if you got sad that I said you're online a lot. Nothing personal in that, homie.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350951260' post='1173866']
1. It wasn't ironic, Thomas is one of the all time best but they didn't like him to they blackballed him off the team. Yes he deserved to be on the first Dream Team.

2. You are acting buthurt. I'm not commenting about your situation, but you ARE online a lot (as are a lot of us). That being the case, I was just wondering how you could say Battier = McHale. Now that you have explained yourself, I am still baffled as to how anyone that watched basketball would have your position. Seriously though, you are level 10 butthurt if you got sad that I said you're online a lot. Nothing personal in that, homie.
[/quote]

Yes it was said that Jordan and Pippen blackballed Thomas from the team. At the time, the coach of the Dream Team should have had the balls to pick Thomas regardless. Larry Bird and Thomas also had some bad blood over something stupid. I think Thomas made a quote that equated to, Bird was only so popular because he was white. That if a black player had the same talent as Bird they wouldn't get so much attention. Magic Johnson campaigned to get Isaiah on the team to no avail. Now Magic and Isaiah aren't even friends anymore because he supposedly said Magic got Aids from screwing around with guys. Like I said before, McHale played during a different to time. It wasn't unusual to see teams in the 80's score 120+ every game. These days with the ticky tack fouls and such, teams give out prizes to the fans for breaking 100 points. That's an extra 20 points per game. That is a big difference.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350951731' post='1173869']
Yes it was said that Jordan and Pippen blackballed Thomas from the team. At the time, the coach of the Dream Team should have had the balls to pick Thomas regardless. Larry Bird and Thomas also had some bad blood over something stupid. I think Thomas made a quote that equated to, Bird was only so popular because he was white. That if a black player had the same talent as Bird they wouldn't get so much attention. Magic Johnson campaigned to get Isaiah on the team to no avail. Now Magic and [b]Isaiah aren't even friends anymore because he supposedly said Magic got Aids from screwing around with guys.[/b] Like I said before, McHale played during a different to time. It wasn't unusual to see teams in the 80's score 120+ every game. These days with the ticky tack fouls and such, teams give out prizes to the fans for breaking 100 points. That's an extra 20 points per game. That is a big difference.
[/quote]

ahahahahaahahahahahahha YES!

Oh yeah, and McHale would probly get to the line 20 times a game these days with his extensive low post vocabulary.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350951892' post='1173872']
ahahahahaahahahahahahha YES!

Oh yeah, and McHale would probly get to the line 20 times a game these days with his extensive low post vocabulary.
[/quote]

I don't know how many he would get, Howard and Shaq, both have averaged around 10 free throw attempts per game. Those 2 are the highest fouled guys I can remember over the last few years. Do you remember Westhead coaching the Nuggets and throwing up huge numbers with the run and gun offense? That was a crazy time.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350955612' post='1173888']
No that is too old. I start with second half of the Pistons back to back glory with faint memories my dad loving Magic Johnson.
[/quote]

Yeah the Pistons Bad Boys were the first team to make defense popular again. There was a big deal about how many games the kept opponents under 100 points in a game. Since that time, defense was important through a a good part of the 90's. Now the NBA can't decide what to do. They totally changed the rules on zone defense. I've gotten to the point where I hardly even watch NBA games. College is fine, but if I want to watch someone play basketball like they do in the NBA, I'll download a Mixed 1 on 1 video.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1350956875' post='1173891']
Good chance Kyrie Irving is MVP this year.

Can't wait til he goes to LA and balls out with Lebron and Dwight.
[/quote]

Actually, LeBron came out and said he wants to go back to Cleveland and bring a championship to the Cavs. I'm not sure that the owner of the Cavs would take him back. You really think a rookie could win MVP? I can't remember off hand, has anyone ever done that before? Maybe Magic? That's about the only guy I can think of.

Nevermind, I looked it up:

[quote]Wes Unseld in 1969 and Wilt Chamberlain in 1960. [/quote]

That's a long time ago, but both guys were great players.

Archived