Vontaze Burfict=Bengals most talented player

The announcer on CBS just said that Marvin Lewis told him last night that Burfict was the most talented player on the Bengals....

That seems like a crazy statement to me. AJ Green? Geno Atkins?

I wonder if there is more context to Marvin's statement....hopefully Reedy follows up on this after the game.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1350235348' post='1169801']
The announcer on CBS just said that Marvin Lewis told him last night that Burfict was the most talented player on the Bengals....

That seems like a crazy statement to me. AJ Green? Geno Atkins?

I wonder if there is more context to Marvin's statement....hopefully Reedy follows up on this after the game.
[/quote]

What did you expect Marvin to say after him and Burfict wrote each love letters before the draft? Just kidding, I am happy the Bengals were able to pick up a quality player outside the draft to make up for some of the failures.

Not 100% sure of the accuracy of this list, but here are the LBs listed:

[u][b]Outside Linebackers:[/b][/u]
Joey Porter – ARI
Shawne Merriman – BUF
[color=#3366ff]Manny Lawson[/color] – CIN
Victor Butler – DAL
[color=#3366ff]Anthony Spencer[/color] – DAL
Brad Jones – GB
Frank Zombo – GB (R)
[color=#3366ff]Daryl Smith[/color] – JAC
Demorrio Williams – KC
[color=#3366ff]Erin Henderson[/color] – MIN
Clint Sintim – NYG
Aaron Curry – Oak
Travis LaBoy – SD
[color=#3366ff]Shaun Phillips[/color] – SD
Lorenzo Alexander – WAS
Rob Jackson – WAS

[u][b]Inside Linebackers:[/b][/u]
Paris Lenon – ARI
Spencer Adkins – ATL
Jason Williams – CAR
Nick Roach – CHI
[color=#3366ff]Brian Urlacher[/color] – CHI
Rey Maualuga – CIN
Scott Fujita – CLE
Kaluka Maiava – CLE
Rob Francois – GB (R)
Kyle Bosworth – JAC (R)
Jasper Brinkley – MIN
Dane Fletcher – NE (R)
Johnathan Casillas – NO (R)
Josh Mauga – NYJ (R)
Moise Fokou – PHI
Akeem Jordan – PHI
James Farrior – PIT
Stevenson Sylvester – PIT (R)
Larry Foote – PIT
Gerald McRath – TEN
Will Witherspoon – TEN

That's obviously not a perfect list as it doesn't even list Thomas Howard.

But I don't see much of interest there.

Bring back a healthy Howard, maybe draft a guy in the first 3 rounds, cross our fingers that Moch develops to go along with Burfict...

But back to the topic. I still find it incredible that Marvin says Burfict is the Bengals most talented player. In my mind, AJ Green is one of the handful of most talented players in the NFL. He is a physical freak with ridiculous speed, leaping ability and body control. Has amazing hands and catches the ball so far away from his body. And he's just a natural football player. If Marvin really thinks Burfict is more talented than AJ, that is a HUGE statement.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1350239773' post='1170060']

Bring back a healthy Howard, maybe draft a guy in the first 3 rounds, cross our fingers that Moch develops to go along with Burfict...

But back to the topic. I still find it incredible that Marvin says Burfict is the Bengals most talented player. In my mind, AJ Green is one of the handful of most talented players in the NFL. He is a physical freak with ridiculous speed, leaping ability and body control. Has amazing hands and catches the ball so far away from his body. And he's just a natural football player. If Marvin really thinks Burfict is more talented than AJ, that is a HUGE statement.
[/quote]

For Moch to go from DE to coverage LB has to e difficult when he's, for the last 4-5-6 years or whatever it has been, been trying to hone skills that would help him get to the QB. Heck, maybe even before that.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1350239933' post='1170073']
For Moch to go from DE to coverage LB has to e difficult when he's, for the last 4-5-6 years or whatever it has been, been trying to hone skills that would help him get to the QB. Heck, maybe even before that.
[/quote]

I agree, but Marvin and Zim specifically said they drafted him to be a LB, not a DE. He's been practicing primarily at LB for the past year and a half.

I'm not overly optimistic that he can develop into a starter by next year (or ever), but it's not that crazy to expect a guy to learn a new position by his 3rd year in the NFL.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1350240094' post='1170078']
I agree, but Marvin and Zim specifically said they drafted him to be a LB, not a DE. He's been practicing primarily at LB for the past year and a half.

I'm not overly optimistic that he can develop into a starter by next year (or ever), but it's not that crazy to expect a guy to learn a new position by his 3rd year in the NFL.
[/quote]

I gotta imagine that's changed. No way they're gonna use him as a LB at 270lbs.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1350239773' post='1170060']

[/quote]

That has gotta be a misquote re Gurfict. I read somewhere where Marvin said that AJ is the best player he's ever coached... Anywhere.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1350248230' post='1170635']
That has gotta be a misquote re Gurfict. I read somewhere where Marvin said that AJ is the best player he's ever coached... Anywhere.
[/quote]

I haven't seen the actual quote, but I'm guessing Marvin said Burfict is the most talented player ON DEFENSE.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1350251376' post='1170664']
I thought Burfict was getting overrated by fans mostly because of a struggling Rey.

However, he is flashing big time. Marvin's statement may not be that crazy.
[/quote] Certainly the best linebacker by a mile

Couple of things that the other LBs can learn from Burfict. Be fast. If you screw up, screw up fast. If the ball is run to the other side of the field, pursue fast. If the whistle hasn't blown yet, be fast to the ball. Secondly, play to the whistle. In the NFL more now than ever, plays aren't just considered over with until the whistle blows. I loved on the goal line play, that even though Hardesty got in, Burfict knocked the crap out of him. Burfict didn't know if he was in or not, and that could have been a fumble. It makes me sick in the very pit of my stomach watching Maualuga jog to the ball. That's pathetic.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350255053' post='1170684']
Couple of things that the other LBs can learn from Burfict. Be fast. If you screw up, screw up fast. If the ball is run to the other side of the field, pursue fast. If the whistle hasn't blown yet, be fast to the ball. Secondly, play to the whistle. In the NFL more now than ever, plays aren't just considered over with until the whistle blows. I loved on the goal line play, that even though Hardesty got in, Burfict knocked the crap out of him. Burfict didn't know if he was in or not, and that could have been a fumble. It makes me sick in the very pit of my stomach watching Maualuga jog to the ball. That's pathetic.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. Imagine how many people Rey would take out if he would just go.

[quote name='mojo' timestamp='1350263492' post='1170762']
ALL of the linebackers on this team suck!
[/quote]

I see Keith Rivers signed up for an account to kill time whilst playing up to form for the Giants...

[quote name='mojo' timestamp='1350263977' post='1170767']
Who is good? Who would play for the Ravens?
[/quote]

Vontaze?

Archived