"Million Muppet March" hitting Washington, DC on Nov. 3rd

Go Skins

[url="http://glittarazzi.com/trends/113416-million-muppet-march.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+glittarazziblog+%28glittarazzi.com%29"]http://glittarazzi.com/trends/113416-million-muppet-march.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+glittarazziblog+%28glittarazzi.com%29[/url]

And now, it looks like the giant bird from Sesame Street will be getting some massive puppet support just before the election with the [url="http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCABRE89B1E020121012?sp=true"]Million Muppet March[/url].

That's right, in the tradition of the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Man_March"]Million Man March[/url] and the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Mom_March"]Million Mom March[/url], Washington, D.C., will host a rally of puppets on Nov. 3, just three days before the election, to decry Mitt Romney's proposed cuts to PBS.

The idea is the brainchild of Michael Bellavia, a 43-year-old animation executive from Los Angeles, and Chris Mecham, 46-year-old writer studying political science at Boise State University in Idaho. Neither man knew each other before they were inspired to create a protest in show of solidarity with Sesame Street and public broadcasting, but both came up with the idea and name independently before the debate ended. Michael had bought and registered the domain name [url="http://millionmuppetmarch.com/"]www.millionmuppetmarch.com[/url], while Chris had created [url="http://www.facebook.com/millionmuppetmarch"]a Facebook page[/url]. Within a half-hour of the debate finishing up, both had joined forces were planning the "march."

I don't really get why the Big Bird thing took off. I'm guessing it had a lot to do with some Democrat pushing it out there. It was later learned that the studio involved with Sesame Street is self sustaining even though they take money from the government and PBS. That makes me wonder why they take the money if they don't need it? Why is no one looking at that, instead of making a big deal with what Romney said.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350330416' post='1171061']
I don't really get why the Big Bird thing took off. I'm guessing it had a lot to do with some Democrat pushing it out there. It was later learned that the studio involved with Sesame Street is self sustaining even though they take money from the government and PBS. That makes me wonder why they take the money if they don't need it? Why is no one looking at that, instead of making a big deal with what Romney said.
[/quote]

it's foolish. However, they run with it because it's something the average dumb voter can connect with.

It annoys me most because a legit issue of funding for places like PBS has turned into dumb Big Bird jokes.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350330416' post='1171061']
[/quote]

Maybe it has something to do with the Republican candidate threatening to slash a program to gain political points when it actually accounts for a tiny, tiny fraction of the budget, while somehow ignoring that the last Republican president bankrupted the country to make his pals at Halliburton/KBR even richer, and was the one largely responsible for destroying our economy in the first place?

Kinda like someone carjacking you and then telling you your car should get better gas mileage.

Just a guess.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350518138' post='1171794']
Maybe it has something to do with the Republican candidate threatening to slash a program to gain political points when it actually accounts for a tiny, tiny fraction of the budget, while somehow ignoring that the last Republican president bankrupted the country to make his pals at Halliburton/KBR even richer, and was the one largely responsible for destroying our economy in the first place?

Kinda like someone carjacking you and then telling you your car should get better gas mileage.

Just a guess.
[/quote]

I don't think that is really the point. There has been plenty of articles pointing out how there are several places that Obama promised to cut, yet ended up spending more than the year before. Then everyone latched on to this Big Bird thing, when someone up stairs in Sesame Street admitted it is self sustaining even though they continue taking government money. Do you realize what I am saying there? Sesame Street took government money even though they didn't need it. That's stealing our tax money. Not kind of stealing, that's FLAT out stealing government grant money and going into their pockets. Once again, why is this not the issue?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350518654' post='1171796']
I don't think that is really the point.
[/quote]

Maybe not, but it probably should be. When Dick Cheney & pals return the BILLIONS they embezzled I might start worrying about how Sesame Street is funded.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350520596' post='1171812']
Maybe not, but it probably should be. When Dick Cheney & pals return the BILLIONS they embezzled I might start worrying about how Sesame Street is funded.
[/quote]

Come on, I know you are better than that. You aren't going to really use the, well he got away with it, why shouldn't I? If we lived in a society with absolutely no accountability, we are screwed.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350521048' post='1171814']
Come on, I know you are better than that. You aren't going to really use the, well he got away with it, why shouldn't I?
[/quote]

No, I am using the "funding Sesame Street is not what created this deficit."

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350524955' post='1171834']
No, I am using the "funding Sesame Street is not what created this deficit."
[/quote]

No Sesame Street and the Big Bird clan did not create the deficit. Neither did Bush, or Bush Sr., and on and on. Can you tell me the last time the U.S. wasn't in a deficit? Every President that runs for a second term, blames the President before him for the increase in the deficit. Romney was clearly making the point that the Government shouldn't be funding several agencies and programs that are non-essential. PBS just happens to be one, and one of PBS's biggest icons, Big Bird, quickly became a tool for the media to grab on to.

I'll go ahead and answer for you. It was 1957, and Eisenhower was President. They also had a surplus of funds in 1956. In 1956 Eisenhower won a re-election. Eisenhower was a Republican. Before being a President he was leader Commanding General of the European Theater of Operations. Eisenhower used the surplus of funds to build the national highway system. His success in doing that, helped cement Eisenhower as one of the greatest Presidents of all time.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350525320' post='1171837']
the Big Bird clan
[/quote]

??? The what? Is that anything like Wu-tang?

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nQZLOCqglvA/SZW_GDHlFKI/AAAAAAAAA-w/J3NtvB3KHVc/s400/Sesame+Thugs.jpg[/img]

Do you have any idea how small a percentage of the budget goes to PBS? Are you really trying to blame that for a wrecked economy while ignoring 3 trillion dollars spent on tax cuts and 2 different wars?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350529291' post='1171852']

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nQZLOCqglvA/SZW_GDHlFKI/AAAAAAAAA-w/J3NtvB3KHVc/s400/Sesame+Thugs.jpg[/img]

Do you have any idea how small a percentage of the budget goes to PBS?
[/quote]

Every dollar matters. Have you been paying attention to the news? They are even critiquing the cost of foods served at meetings. Basically Romney believes the same way as I do. PBS does not need the governments money, and the government can still continue to exist without PBS. It's called trimming the fat.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350529702' post='1171856']
Every dollar matters. Have you been paying attention to the news? They are even critiquing the cost of foods served at meetings. Basically Romney believes the same way as I do. PBS does not need the governments money, and the government can still continue to exist without PBS. It's called trimming the fat.
[/quote]

Mmhm. But all the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthy somehow don't fall in that category?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350529980' post='1171858']
Mmhm. But all the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthy somehow don't fall in that category?
[/quote]

Why are you and others always pointing out the past, instead of paying attention to the present? Thomas Jefferson had slaves, why don't we spend page after page talking about him? Or how about my pointing out Eisenhower, who was a Republican, is the last President to have a surplus budget. Unfortunately, we don't live in 1957, we live in 2012, and the current administration is deflecting blame, and their backers only thing to do is blame all the pitfalls on the previous administration. Obama has bee in office for going on 4 years, and all he is being known for is sending a seal team in to kill Bin Laden, who has been under surveillance for quite some time. In fact they had the right place all along during Bush's administration but continued to get information and make sure it was absolutely the right place. Obama is also remembered for his controversial health care bill. So why do people laud Obama for his good deeds, but everything else is someone else's fault?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350530568' post='1171865']
In fact they had the right place all along during Bush's administration but continued to get information and make sure it was absolutely the right place.
[/quote]

You really believe that, don't you?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350529291' post='1171852']

Do you have any idea how small a percentage of the budget goes to PBS? Are you really trying to blame that for a wrecked economy while ignoring 3 trillion dollars spent on tax cuts and 2 different wars?
[/quote]

$3 Trillion is just the tax cuts.

Iraq and Afghanistan have cost about $6 Trillion.

Just sayin'...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1350530906' post='1171871']
$3 Trillion is just the tax cuts.

Iraq and Afghanistan have cost about $6 Trillion.

Just sayin'...
[/quote]

Noted. Thought that seemed low. And we're blaming the crippling national debt on Sesame Street? Mr. Snuffleupagus must have one hell of a coke habit.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350531167' post='1171874']
Noted. Thought that seemed low. And we're blaming the crippling national debt on Sesame Street? Mr. Snuffleupagus must have one hell of a coke habit.
[/quote]

I think it was the strippers that put him over budget...

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350530867' post='1171870']
You really believe that, don't you?
[/quote]

It was reported in the news that Bin Laden had been in living in the compound a long time. They began to think Bin Laden was there because they didn't throw away trash, other odd things.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350530741' post='1171868']
PBS was founded in 1970.
[/quote]

What's your point? It's wasted money now, and if PBS wants to stay on the air they will figure something out.

Why is it also a fact that the State department has had several problems with their agents buying hookers, getting drunk, and getting arrested?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350531876' post='1171878']
It was reported in the news that Bin Laden had been in living in the compound a long time. [/quote]

So you took that to mean Bush had him under surveillance since 2001? Bit of a leap, there. I'd think for the most hunted man on the planet, staying in the same place for 6 months could be considered "a long time".

[quote]What's your point? It's wasted money now, and if PBS wants to stay on the air they will figure something out.[/quote]

You faulted me for talking about the past while complaining about an organization founded over 40 years ago. Yes we are still paying for it. Kinda like rebuilding Iraq, only much much MUCH cheaper.

[quote]Why is it also a fact that the State department has had several problems with their agents buying hookers, getting drunk, and getting arrested?[/quote]

Because the State department is staffed by human beings?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1350532356' post='1171880']
So you took that to mean Bush had him under surveillance since 2001? Bit of a leap, there. I'd think for the most hunted man on the planet, staying in the same place for 6 months could be considered "a long time".

You faulted me for talking about the past while complaining about an organization founded over 40 years ago. Yes we are still paying for it. Kinda like rebuilding Iraq, only much much MUCH cheaper.

Because the State department is staffed by human beings?
[/quote]

I'll address the last statement first. Those agents are supposed to go through some of the most in depth background searches you would ever believe. These guys are supposed to be the best of the best. When I tell you in depth, I mean they will find your kindergarten teacher and ask her questions. I've had one of these checks, and you have to be a perfect citizen to pass.

I didn't say since 2001. He actually started to live in the compound in 2006, and believe it or not, his paperboy was one of the individuals that turned the government on him. The surveillance went on so long, that Congress was need to approve more spending so that he could be caught.

You are talking about two separate arguments with regard to the past. You said PBS was not receiving enough funding to be considered wasted money. I just pointed out that the amount of money PBS is now getting is indeed a large chunk of change. I don't consider $370 million dollars unimportant.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350529702' post='1171856']
[b]Every dollar matters. Have you been paying attention to the news? They are even critiquing the cost of foods served at meetings.[/b] Basically Romney believes the same way as I do. PBS does not need the governments money, and the government can still continue to exist without PBS. It's called trimming the fat.
[/quote]

And there in lies the point. They (read: fox news) has spent a great deal of time chastising things like PBS or the cost of bagels at meetings and lumping them under the banner of every dollar matters...but the reality is that they don't want to talk about money the Fed is printing or giving away, or the actual cost of war and military contracts or any large sum of money that actually matters, so they keep people (and apparently you) distracted with shiny things to bitch about and spew them with such force that the lay person is left to conclude that these issues are actually important.

Any discussion of saving money and paying off our national debt that doesn't include pulling out of the war or a 50% reduction in military spending is not worth having.

I can cut out my morning danish, switch to skim milk, drink coke zero, have a banana in the afternoon, and eat only one measured serving of ice cream after dinner...but if I don't stop going to the pizza shop and eating 3 slices of Buffalo Chicken pizza 7 days a week for lunch, am I going to lose any weight? Am I even on a fucking diet?

$370 million sounds like a lot of money...but its pittance when you realize we could make up that revenue by a .025% capital gains tax increase on the top 1% of earners.

What brings more to society; 350 public broadcast TV stations across the country that provide the only true form of Journalism left on TV as well as tens of thousands of hours of family programming or an extra 500K in the pockets of 800 people who already earn over 1B a year? If you are earning over a Billion a year that's roughly 2.7 million dollars a day. We can ask a handful of people to sacrifice 1/5 of one days salary or completely cutoff PBS. What fucking world must one live in to think the second option makes more sense?

Archived