What this game means...

I waited a few days to really post much on here because I was furious with the browns loss and didnt want to post irrational thoughts.

With that being said, right now I am more down on Marvin than I think I have ever been. It's not necessarily the losses or who we've lost to, its been more of how we played and our attitude. The last two games we just seem to come out lacking any attitude and drive and we definitely dont have the shove it down their throats type attitude. Its not just this year though, we constantly play down to worse opponents and very rarely show up for big games.

Marvin has a very even keeled attitude in public. I think that has helped at times when we get behind in games and one of the reasons both CP and Dalton have shown that they can come from behind and win games. But I think it really costs us when the emotions are high in big games and we dont allow that to play to our advantage. It seems we try to hold that emotion in, instead of channeling it and using it to kick the other teams ass.

The stealers are still the stealers, but they arent a dominant team like they have been in the past. Beating them would be huge, but it shouldnt be seemed as impossible or be one of the hardest games of the year. But its time to show up, its time to win a big game. National TV, our biggest rivals. This fanbase and this city needs something to be happy about. The reds crushed our hearts and the bengals struggled two weeks in a row right when some people were actually starting to get excited. This team wont sell out many more games if we lose, even with our good home schedule. This team probably wont make the playoffs this year if we lose either.

I'm a pretty big homer, but even I am starting to become a little numb to this. This team needs a big win and they need it now. Question is will marvin and the team be ready for the challenge or will they come out flat like historically they have in the ML era. If I'm Mike Brown, id even go as far as putting Marvins head on the plate if they lose.

A lot of people will blow this off and say that its a week 7 game, cant be must win. But I think this is as big a game as we've had and will tell a lot about the direction of this team. Just win please.

The team is stale. It has been for a while. I hear quite often; "So what, they finish 9-7 and just miss or lose first round".

Beating Steelers helps move the needle for the Bengal fan base. Except for maybe 1988 when it was Oilers and Browns it has mostly been that way.

It's a huge game.

1. I think this is the first time PBS has hosted Sunday Night on NBC in regular season. Many forget we opened it in the Preseason in 2006. HUGE.
2. Steeler - Huge.
3. The most important. Steelers are UGLY and always have been. They win UGLY and play UGLY. There have been so many times that they start off with a so-so record and then grab momentum and start rolling 5/6 wins in a roll. Many times on the backs of the Bengals. This is a huge chance to energize the fan base, lift our own team out of a funk and keeps Steelers in their funk.

Going into bye week off a win is huge, IMO.

I couldnt agree more. This is a big game for Marvin. He has to show the fan base that the team can show up when there are expectations. Marvin's best seasons have all came at a time when there was no expectation that the team would win more than a few games. He needs to show some fire and set the tone for the team.

'' If I'm Mike Brown, Id even go as far as putting Marvins head on a platter if they lose''.
That may sound good but the bigger problem is with an owner GM and a nepotistic dominated front office only the coaches are ever held accountable. The Bengals ''GM'' has no worries of ever having his head on the platter.

[quote name='MaddChatter' timestamp='1350489570' post='1171562']
'' If I'm Mike Brown, Id even go as far as putting Marvins head on a platter if they lose''.
That may sound good but the bigger problem is with an owner GM and a nepotistic dominated front office only the coaches are ever held accountable. The Bengals ''GM'' has no worries of ever having his head on the platter.
[/quote]
This team is almost the same as it was last year. They let Marvin and Zim go out and get a few free agents and draft picks that fit their mold (Zietler, dre, taze, Newman, Wharton, Allen, etc). If this team underperforms this year I think it is more on the coaches than on mike brown.

I'm in no way a big Mike Brown fan ! That said, the team has the talent to be VERY GOOD if not dominate. They have played well below their capability and expectations. The front office with all it's problems and history can't play the games, this is up to coaches and players. If they lose this game....Putting Marvin's head on a platter may be the best thing. It would most likely trash this season, but we may be able to actually get someone that can get this team to have some emotional play. The talent is here now. The mindset is not !

[quote name='MaddChatter' timestamp='1350491437' post='1171581']
Same old same old. The coaches have changed over the years with below avg results, the one constant has been the ''GM'' with similar weak results. What GM (who isn't the owner) could keep their job for this long with this franchises sub par performance ?
[/quote]

You can complain about that all you want and you might even be right but its not gonna change anytime soon. So find a way to win in spite of that. Does Marvin have the abilities to win playoff games in spite of mike? Maybe but he hasn't shown that in 10 years. If he doesn't do it this year I'd give someone else a shot.

The importance of winning this game has just been proven by MaddChatter. Just the thought of losing it brings out the Mike Brown Sucks attitude days before kick off.

Agree or disagree with the Mike Brown sucks attitude; lose this game and all the negativity comes out in full force. I don't care what side of the arguement you are on those type of seasons suck.

[quote name='MaddChatter' timestamp='1350489570' post='1171562']
[/quote]

The Bengals are very profitable. Everything else is secondary, very secondary.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1350493374' post='1171599']
The importance of winning this game has just been proven by MaddChatter. Just the thought of losing it brings out the Mike Brown Sucks attitude days before kick off.

Agree or disagree with the Mike Brown sucks attitude; lose this game and all the negativity comes out in full force. I don't care what side of the arguement you are on those type of seasons suck.
[/quote]
I don't feel as you say ''Mike Brown sucks'' as an owner and business man and I appreciate his loyalty to Cincy . . . BUT, he does not have FOOTBALL MIND of Paul Brown and his attempts to operate the franchise as his father did (owner/GM) has had poor results. Ownership wise I like MB (the season ticket owner popcorn was tasty), he needs a football guy as GM though.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1350493374' post='1171599']

[/quote]

Everybody already knows Mike Brown sucks...but what is the point of rehashing it?

But with all the parity in the league, you would think even someone as inept as Mike Brown would win one playoff game in 22 years.

So in addition to sucking, he is also very unlucky.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1350442957' post='1171448']
I waited a few days to really post much on here because I was furious with the browns loss and didnt want to post irrational thoughts.

With that being said, right now I am more down on Marvin than I think I have ever been. It's not necessarily the losses or who we've lost to, its been more of how we played and our attitude. The last two games we just seem to come out lacking any attitude and drive and we definitely dont have the shove it down their throats type attitude. Its not just this year though, we constantly play down to worse opponents and very rarely show up for big games.

Marvin has a very even keeled attitude in public. I think that has helped at times when we get behind in games and one of the reasons both CP and Dalton have shown that they can come from behind and win games. But I think it really costs us when the emotions are high in big games and we dont allow that to play to our advantage. It seems we try to hold that emotion in, instead of channeling it and using it to kick the other teams ass.

The stealers are still the stealers, but they arent a dominant team like they have been in the past. Beating them would be huge, but it shouldnt be seemed as impossible or be one of the hardest games of the year. But its time to show up, its time to win a big game. National TV, our biggest rivals. This fanbase and this city needs something to be happy about. The reds crushed our hearts and the bengals struggled two weeks in a row right when some people were actually starting to get excited. This team wont sell out many more games if we lose, even with our good home schedule. This team probably wont make the playoffs this year if we lose either.

I'm a pretty big homer, but even I am starting to become a little numb to this. This team needs a big win and they need it now. Question is will marvin and the team be ready for the challenge or will they come out flat like historically they have in the ML era. If I'm Mike Brown, id even go as far as putting Marvins head on the plate if they lose.

A lot of people will blow this off and say that its a week 7 game, cant be must win. But I think this is as big a game as we've had and will tell a lot about the direction of this team. Just win please.
[/quote]

Honestly Im numb to this. Never thought id turn into one of those guys, but I am just beat up. Marvin honestly doesnt have a clue out there. Typical ML game where we have a stretch where we actually look really good and then stretches where we look like the worst team ever. Seriously, from the 2nd quarter through the end of the game our offense just looked like they didnt give a shit. That is on Marvin. Gruden's play calling was atrocious too, but I blame this one on ML.

This team should be embarrassed. Really wish Mike would show his commitment to winning by getting rid of ML and bringing in someone that actually knows how to win.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1350879754' post='1173561']
[b]Honestly Im numb to this[/b]. Never thought id turn into one of those guys, but I am just beat up. Marvin honestly doesnt have a clue out there. Typical ML game where we have a stretch where we actually look really good and then stretches where we look like the worst team ever. Seriously, from the 2nd quarter through the end of the game our offense just looked like they didnt give a shit. That is on Marvin. Gruden's play calling was atrocious too, but I blame this one on ML.

This team should be embarrassed. Really wish Mike would show his commitment to winning by getting rid of ML and bringing in someone that actually knows how to win.
[/quote]

This. So much this.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1350881010' post='1173572']
185 yards....are you fucking kidding me?? 80 on the first drive!

[b]Where the fuck did the offense and OC from the first 4 games go??[/b]
[/quote]

Into the binder of defensive coordinators who have figured him out? :mellow:

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1350881010' post='1173572']
185 yards....are you fucking kidding me?? 80 on the first drive!

Where the fuck did the offense and OC from the first 4 games go??
[/quote]
he had his hand tied by the head coach, just like the defensive coordinator.

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' timestamp='1350883607' post='1173584']
We are the exact opposite of the Seahawks. We have talent but suck, they have so much less talent, but somehow always end up doing ok
[/quote]

Difference = Coaching

There.

I said it...

Archived