The Chutzpah of the "Rabbit Hole"

BlackJesus

[quote][size=5] [b][font=georgia,serif][i]"Mr. President, America has not dictated to other nations; we have freed other nations from dictators." [/i]― Mitt Romney, in tonight's debate[/font][/b][/size][/quote]

[b]... Nice line for the flag waving crowd, but idiotic for anyone with knowledge of American foreign policy. [/b]

[b]In fact, the [u]historical list of U.S.-backed dictators[/u] from just the last half century includes:

[color=#696969]René Barrientos (Bolivia), Fulgencio Batista (Cuba), Ha[/color][/b][b][color=#696969]ssanal Bolkiah (Brunei), P.W. Botha (South Africa), Humberto Branco (Brazil), Chiang Kai-Shek (China), Jean Claude Duvalier (Haiti), King Fahd (Saudi Arabia), Francisco Franco (Spain), Ferdinand Marcos (Philippines), Hosni Mubarak (Egypt), Islam Karimov (Uzbekistan), Teodoro Mbasogo (Equatorial Guinea), Sese Seko Mobutu (Zaire), Ríos Montt (Guatemala), Manuel Noriega (Panama), Maximiliano Martínez (El Salvador), Georgios Papadopoulos (Greece), Shah Pahlevi (Iran), Augusto Pinochet (Chile), António Salazar (Portugal), Anastasio Somoza (Nicaragua), Alfredo Stroessner (Paraguay), General Suharto (Indonesia), Rafael Trujillo (Dominican Republic) and Jorge Videla (Argentina) ... just to name a few.[/color]

While the [u]historical list of democratically elected leaders[/u] who the U.S. helped overthrow includes:

[color=#696969]Salvador Allende (Chile), Jacobo Arbenz (Guatemala), Víctor Estenssoro (Bolivia), João Goulart (Brazil), Patrice Lumumba (Congo), Mohammad Mosaddegh (Iran) and Kwame Nkrumah (Ghana).[/color][/b]

[b]Now, I realize Romney's "foreign policy" usually consists of deciding which nation to hide his money in to avoid paying taxes, but maybe next time he could study a little.[/b]

Do you think the reason for Romney and many other rich guys, is because the FDIC only insures up to a certain amount of money? It was just recently made to be $250,000. So putting a large chunk of your money in banks in Cayman banks is safer than U.S. ones? Other than for tax reasons, I am sure there are more benefits for putting money there.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351159897' post='1174454']
Could you honestly imagine how much a pain in the ass it would be for a billionaire let alone a millionaire, to keep that many separated accounts for it all to be insured?
[/quote]

In this day of electronic transactions and being able to keep all of your accounts in something like Quicken probably not much of one

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351139735' post='1174446']
Do you think the reason for Romney and many other rich guys, is because the FDIC only insures up to a certain amount of money? It was just recently made to be $250,000. So putting a large chunk of your money in banks in Cayman banks is safer than U.S. ones? Other than for tax reasons, I am sure there are more benefits for putting money there.
[/quote]

You can put unlimited money in investments like t-bills and be virtually risk free (if those default, there are bigger problems in your life), but they want big capital gains (taxed at that sweet 15% rate). You seriously think an offshore account is safer than a US financial institutional account?

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351177531' post='1174512']
You can put unlimited money in investments like t-bills and be virtually risk free (if those default, there are bigger problems in your life), but they want big capital gains (taxed at that sweet 15% rate). You seriously think an offshore account is safer than a US financial institutional account?
[/quote]

If it wasn't very safe, do you think so many rich people would put their holdings in off shore accounts and Swiss banks? If TV shows are even 25% accurate on how they are run, it is extremely difficult for someone's account to be compromised. I remember an episode of Burn Notice where they stole a guy's money out of an offshore account. I know it's television, but Burn Notice has been known to try to be as accurate as possible. Even in their circumstance, they wouldn't have been able to get the guys money out of the offshore bank without the help of a big time money launderer.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351205364' post='1174578']
Burn Notice is legit. Thread closed.
[/quote]

Burn Notice has consultants that are used to make the show as realistic as possible. When you have a closed mind to judge a television show as complete fantasy, you might as well not even make a comment.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351210279' post='1174597']
yeah and 24 is how we fight terrorism

:ninja:
[/quote]

Maybe I should do like others on this board and just read posts and critique the hell out of everyone's opinions. It's pretty sad that people can't understand that not everything you see on tv is fictional. For people who have watched the show more than just spotting it while flipping channels, knows that the stuff that goes on in that show there are bit's and pieces that are very realistic. I'm not saying all the story lines in the show and special effects are real, but some of the elements in the show are. Thus, why they have consultants.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351177531' post='1174512']
[/quote]

You don't think someone with a lot of money might want to keep it liquid and less easily trackable? If I had a ton of money I know I would.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351265639' post='1174714']
You don't think someone with a lot of money might want to keep it liquid and less easily trackable? If I had a ton of money I know I would.
[/quote]

You think offshore vehicles are more liquid than t-bills? Seriously?

This might explain why you don't have a ton of money.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351265826' post='1174715']
You think offshore vehicles are more liquid than t-bills? Seriously?

This might explain why you don't have a ton of money.
[/quote]

How hard is it to wire transfer money these days? You give them an account number along with a pass code, along with some other security questions. A person can manage their account online or over the phone.

Oh yeah, burn notice again. Sorry.

Weren't you concerned earlier about FDIC limits? Offshore accounts don't keep your money secure.There is no FDIC for those that I'm aware of.

So really, the only difference between keeping your money here vs offshore is tax avoidance.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351269334' post='1174736']
Oh yeah, burn notice again. Sorry.

Weren't you concerned earlier about FDIC limits? Offshore accounts don't keep your money secure.There is no FDIC for those that I'm aware of.

So really, the only difference between keeping your money here vs offshore is tax avoidance.
[/quote]

You are a true piece of work. In your mind you are never wrong, and always have the right answers.

If people didn't feel safe putting millions and millions of dollars in off shore accounts and Swiss banks, there wouldn't be so many people do it.

Saving money on taxes < Having all your money stolen from the bank

Archived