New fusion drives in new iMacs... genius?

i was looking into the new imacs, likely going to grab one for my wife to use at home for her photography stuff.

The new "fusion drive" is pretty slick it SEEMS. basically the imac has a 128GB SSD, and a 1tb standard HDD. and the computer automatically keeps the OS and the most used apps on the SSD, and storage and less used things on the standard drive. it ALL shows up as a 1.128TB drive in the system, and it automatically moves the data back and forth as your usage designates.

this seems brilliant, I always wanted to add a SSD to my macbook pro in the superdrive slot, but didnt want to hassle with splitting the apps and stuff up on separate drives and potential problems that may have.. so i LOVE this idea, not having to spend a grand on 768GB SSD, but having the speed and power of the SSD for the os and photoshop and all that..

any thoughts? any drawbacks of this?

I thought this was the least talked about announcement from the event the other day..

Lenovo has actually been doing this in their Thinkpads for a while though Apples's implementation is slicker.

Drawback? Cost.

Other than that it is a fantastic implementation. I have the same setup on my Linux rig at home. OS on SSD, storage on spinning disk in a RAID 1.

I'd recommend a RAID but Time Machine makes it a non-essential...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351215303' post='1174624']
Lenovo has actually been doing this in their Thinkpads for a while though Apples's implementation is slicker.

Drawback? Cost.

Other than that it is a fantastic implementation. I have the same setup on my Linux rig at home. OS on SSD, storage on spinning disk in a RAID 1.

I'd recommend a RAID but Time Machine makes it a non-essential...
[/quote]

does anyone elses auto-move popular apps to the faster drive? or is that apples "innovation"? i knew a few builders had that option going on, with just two seperate drives. but man that showing up as one drive and it auto-deciding what you use the most and auto moving it seems brilliant...

also a plus that it really didht change the imac pricing too much... probably why its only a 128GB ssd instead of a 256 or 512... which isnt too bad of a cost out of pocket to add unless its the proprietary apple SSD like in macbook pros..

im pretty excited to "step up" in the world with some new computer gear in the spring..

Archived