Hey Elflocko......Router Problems

You usually come to the rescue when I have tech issues and I want you to know I really appreciate it. I appreciate help from anyone.....so thanks Guys.

Last weekend my internet provider had some network issues. The majority of their customers had a lapse in service (myself included). So Monday morning I called tech support and they had to walk me thru the process of resetting my modem. I have a Cisco Linksys E1000 router and before the lapse in service everything was fine. I reconnected everything the way it was before the problem and for a short while, everything was fine. But all of the sudden we started losing connection on our wireless laptop, magic jack and 2 desktops that are connected thru ethernet cables. I can remove the power cord from the router for a few seconds and everything works ok again for a while, but after a few minutes 1, 2 or all of the devices lose connection again. What do I need to do? I apologize for my ignorance.

When you say they lose their connection, can the devices see the router and show a connection but just can't see or get to the internet, or does it show that they have no connection to the network\router at all?

Also, when you say they had you "reset" the router, just what did they have you do? Most routers have a small button on the back that if you depress it with a paper clip or similar for 30 seconds or so it will reset it to the factory default. Is that what they had you do?

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351318326' post='1174932']
When you say they lose their connection, can the devices see the router and show a connection but just can't see or get to the internet, or does it show that they have no connection to the network\router at all?

Also, when you say they had you "reset" the router, just what did they have you do? Most routers have a small button on the back that if you depress it with a paper clip or similar for 30 seconds or so it will reset it to the factory default. Is that what they had you do?
[/quote]

The laptop has a wireless connection to the router and it still sees the router, but loses connection. The other devices that are connected with cables lose connection also.

My internet provider walked me through a manual reset of the modem. They instructed me to unplug the ethernet cable running from the modem to the router and plug the cable from the modem directly into my desktop in order to go through the manual reset process for the modem. Once the successful manual reset for the modem was complete, I plugged everything back into the router like it was before, then the problems started.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1351321501' post='1174933']
The laptop has a wireless connection to the router and it still sees the router, but loses connection. The other devices that are connected with cables lose connection also.

My internet provider walked me through a manual reset of the modem. They instructed me to unplug the ethernet cable running from the modem to the router and plug the cable from the modem directly into my desktop in order to go through the manual reset process for the modem. Once the successful manual reset for the modem was complete, I plugged everything back into the router like it was before, then the problems started.
[/quote]

Ah, you reset the modem, not the router. Have you unplugged the router from the power source and started it back up again? You may also want to power down the modem, power down the router, then power up the modem, then the router and see if that fixes it.

Also, when your devices lose connection, what do the lights on the modem look like (the name and model # will help me tell you what to look for)?

The fact that your hard-wired devices are losing their connection leads me to believe that you may still have an issue with the modem. That preliminary of course...

When you say "lose connection" are the devices losing network connectivity all together, or just internet? Can your LAN PC's ping each other? As far as Lew's comment.. I am not personally familiar with the Linksys E1000, but I found this blurb very amusing in a review I just read (I had a similar problem with the last Linksys router I owned, IE: Getting locked up)

[quote]"Although the E1000 houses four Ethernet ports, the router is best used when connected to one computer at a time."[/quote]

Yeah, I laughed really hard when I read that. But I'm a huge nerd..

Anyway, try what Elf suggests and power down the router (30 secs for good measure), turn it back on and see if that works..

Right now I am connected to my landlord's wireless NetGear router. It's not the greatest connect, it is a basic DSL connection. What I found unique is it is an unlocked connection, and the computer will say you are connected, but the connection won't actually work until you open a browser. That browser then pops up a page asking for a password. For anyone that didn't that would be extremely pissed if they were trying to log on to play a mmorpg and it wouldn't work! :lol:

The internet is included in my rent so I can't complain too much. On WoW I get a latency between 40ms-80ms. It's doing downloads that is the pain in the ass. It's......soooo slow.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351349110' post='1174956']
Ah, you reset the modem, not the router. Have you unplugged the router from the power source and started it back up again? You may also want to power down the modem, power down the router, then power up the modem, then the router and see if that fixes it.

Also, when your devices lose connection, what do the lights on the modem look like (the name and model # will help me tell you what to look for)?

The fact that your hard-wired devices are losing their connection leads me to believe that you may still have an issue with the modem. That preliminary of course...
[/quote]

I have powered down the router several times, but not the modem and the router. The router is a Cisco Linksys E1000

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1351373400' post='1175040']
I have powered down the router several times, but not the modem and the router. The router is a Cisco Linksys E1000
[/quote]

How old is it? How many different things do you have trying to connect to it? Computers, TV's, Magic Jack, etc.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1351373400' post='1175040']
[/quote]

So, I just realized, you say that sometimes only some of your devices lose connection? Probably not the modem then IMO. Do you know how to ping? I usually don't offer PC help on here as I am a network engineer by trade and this site is entertainment for me.. But I am feeling helpful right now.

I used to have this same exact problem but I can not for the life of me remember how I fixed it. I think I called the router company and they walked me through a process where I had to log in to the router using it's DSN (?) and then change some of the routers settings. There were specific numbers I had to change. Someone that knows more about this process than me probably knows what I am talking about and how to do it.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351373777' post='1175042']
How old is it? How many different things do you have trying to connect to it? Computers, TV's, Magic Jack, etc.
[/quote]

I have 2 desktops connected by ethernet cables, magic jack and laptop via wireless. I had all of these connected for months without any problems up until the network outage.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1351373782' post='1175043']
So, I just realized, you say that sometimes only some of your devices lose connection? Probably not the modem then IMO. Do you know how to ping? I usually don't offer PC help on here as I am a network engineer by trade and this site is entertainment for me.. But I am feeling helpful right now.
[/quote]

Any help is appreciated Lu.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1351376452' post='1175047']
I have 2 desktops connected by ethernet cables, magic jack and laptop via wireless. I had all of these connected for months without any problems up until the network outage.

Any help is appreciated Lu.
[/quote]

Do you still have the instruction booklet that came with the router? It should have the IP address that allows you to get into the router's settings. I'm guessing you will need to manually change the settings.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1351376991' post='1175050']
So far, after powering down the modem and the router I have not lost connection to anything. Fingers crossed.
[/quote]

Have you gotten all the rest of the stuff connected? If it disconnects from the internet again after everything is connected, it's more than likely going to be a problem with your router might not be good enough to handle the new relay of the internet to 4 items anymore. Is your router password protected? If not you might have someone leaching off of it and that causes it to get too many users and knocks you off line all together. The other guys probably know more than I do at this stuff, but I am bored and trying to give any help I can. Like I said I had this same problem once. :25:

Now not only has the magic jack lost connection, but the laptop also. Desktop still working fine. Now before I complete this post I will power down the router and see what happens.

OK, I powered the router back up and everything is working again. This has been the pattern. Right after the power down, everything if fine for a while, then it starts again.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351377319' post='1175053']
Have you gotten all the rest of the stuff connected? If it disconnects from the internet again after everything is connected, it's more than likely going to be a problem with your router might not be good enough to handle the new relay of the internet to 4 items anymore. Is your router password protected? If not you might have someone leaching off of it and that causes it to get too many users and knocks you off line all together. The other guys probably know more than I do at this stuff, but I am bored and trying to give any help I can. Like I said I had this same problem once. :25:
[/quote]

Yes, everything is connected and it is password protected. I appreciate your help Lew.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1351377817' post='1175057']
Yes, everything is connected and it is password protected. I appreciate your help Lew.
[/quote]

What operating system(s) are you using, and do you know how to ping?

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1351377683' post='1175056']
Now not only has the magic jack lost connection, but the laptop also. Desktop still working fine. Now before I complete this post I will power down the router and see what happens.

OK, I powered the router back up and everything is working again. This has been the pattern. Right after the power down, everything if fine for a while, then it starts again.
[/quote]

I suspect your router is going sour. I'd recommend getting a new one and save the receipt. If it works, you've got your answer, if not you can always return it. I'm with Lucid in that in that I don't believe it's the modem.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351383307' post='1175075']
I suspect your router is going sour. I'd recommend getting a new one and save the receipt. If it works, you've got your answer, if not you can always return it. I'm with Lucid in that in that I don't believe it's the modem.
[/quote]

This is good advice if you aren't familiar with obtaining IP information on network interfaces and pinging.. Either Elf or I could walk you through troubleshooting. But in the end what he suggests would be easiest, and I am 90% certain it would fix your problem.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1351383506' post='1175078']
This is good advice if you aren't familiar with obtaining IP information on network interfaces and pinging.. Either Elf or I could walk you through troubleshooting. But in the end what he suggests would be easiest, and I am 90% certain it would fix your problem.
[/quote]

Yep but he needs to make sure he gets a modem that can take enough users connected to it.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351384843' post='1175084']
Yep but he needs to make sure he gets a modem that can take enough users connected to it.
[/quote]

Apparently the one he had was working before it crapped out.. Most home routers will work fine as long as it isn't some weird off brand.. Probably best sticking with Netgear or Linksys. I am currently using Netgear WNR3500 and 2500(as a wireless repeater for my entertainment center) and have been very happy with them. The recommendation I would have is to get one with Gigabit Ethernet..

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1351385813' post='1175088']
Apparently the one he had was working before it crapped out.. Most home routers will work fine as long as it isn't some weird off brand.. Probably best sticking with Netgear or Linksys. I am currently using Netgear WNR3500 and 2500(as a wireless repeater for my entertainment center) and have been very happy with them. The recommendation I would have is to get one with Gigabit Ethernet..
[/quote]

Yeah I have never had any problems with Net Gear routers. Now on the other hand, Net Gear USB wireless adapters have sucked. I started out with one that should have been fine for what I was doing, because I had no need for a super high speed adapter when the actual internet speed was constant. So I bought the medium quality one for $35. It worked for about a week and all of a sudden it quit working. I took it back to Wal Mart and got another one. Once again, a week later it crapped out again. I decided that was enough and upgraded to the high quality one that was $45. I haven't a problem with it at all. Now a funny thing happened. I put together a computer for my room mate. I didn't have a lot of money at the time so I checked out Newegg. I found factory refurbished Net Gear adapters just like the ones that went bad on me. They were only $6! I went ahead and ordered it. It's been working great since the time it arrived. That's just silly.

I think you guys have nailed it. It's time for a new router. I'll purchase one Tomorrow. That's the only logical explanation as to what's going on. I want to thank you guys for all the help. I knew I could turn to my Bengal Brethren. Now if we could just get this football team straightened out.....lol.

Thanks again guys

Archived