Off Season Thread

Jason

Glad they got it done without arbitration, but i was hoping it was taking so long because they were working out a longer term deal.

Yeah, if Bailey pitches this year the way he did at the end of last year his next contract is going to be big.

Yeah, if Bailey pitches this year the way he did at the end of last year his next contract is going to be big.

Is this his last year being arbitration eligible?

Oh and Fay is reporting:

With the deal, the Reds have 22 played under contract for $99.75
million. So the payroll will be over $100 million for the first time. It
was $87.8 million last year.

I got to hand it to Castellini.  

Oh and Fay is reporting:

I don't know, but even if it's not, the way he pitched late lst season I could see him winning 20 this year.

Oh and Fay is reporting:

He should have 1 more year of eligibility for arbitration.

The reds better keep winning this year and keep filling filling that stadium up or there could be trouble keeping a lot of guys. A WS victory would go a long way!

• 3 weeks later...

heard about this today, but Bobby Bonilla retired in 2001, and he's STILL on the Met's payroll. 

According to Wikipedia:

The Mets released Bonilla, but still owed him $5.9 million. The team had to get him off their book in order to sign another player, so they worked out a deal: If Bonilla would defer payment for a decade, they'd pay him an annuity worth far more than the $5.9 million. Bonilla accepted the offer resulting in an annual paycheck of $1.19 million starting in 2011 and will last until 2035.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bonilla#New_York_Mets

That's insane.

As I recall we promised Junior a bunch of deferred money, but that's ridiculous.

they did, but I think they pushed money into years that were still on his contract.  I can't find anything on the typical contract sites that say the Reds still owe him any money.  I would think they settled up that deferred money at the time of his trade.  

they did, but I think they pushed money into years that were still on his contract.  I can't find anything on the typical contract sites that say the Reds still owe him any money.  I would think they settled up that deferred money at the time of his trade.  

Actually the reds have several contracts on the books where we deferred payments into the future even after their contact is up. For example this is Bronson's last year under contract but I'm pretty sure we owe him money for the next 5-10 or something. Not as bad of a deal as bonillas though cause we aren't getting charged interest on ours.

Chapman preferred to stay in bullpen
USA Today
"I developed a taste for the bullpen and wanted to stay there, but the team signed me as a starter, and I believe I can do the job," Chapman says in Spanish. "I work for them, and I just have to get ready to be a starter and throw as many innings as I can. They know better."

• 2 weeks later...

Heard on the radio that Choo might not be ready for opening day, and it made me wonder.. Why does the CF also have to be the lead-off hitter? Seems like that puts an awful lot of pressure on one position, and kind of derails the entire offensive strategy should that one player get injured like this. Hamilton was sent back down to the minors, so Heisey is now in CF.  Does that mean he now has to hit lead-off?  He is for now, despite having an OBP barely over .300

I feel like I'm missing something, here.

Heard on the radio that Choo might not be ready for opening day, and it made me wonder.. Why does the CF also have to be the lead-off hitter? Seems like that puts an awful lot of pressure on one position, and kind of derails the entire offensive strategy should that one player get injured like this. Hamilton was sent back down to the minors, so Heisey is now in CF.  Does that mean he now has to hit lead-off?  He is for now, despite having an OBP barely over .300

I feel like I'm missing something, here.

Doesn't have to be. Often a SS or 2B is. It's typically the fastest guy on the team who can get infield hits and the CF is typically one of the fastest guys on the team because he has the most ground to cover.

Doesn't have to be. Often a SS or 2B is. It's typically the fastest guy on the team who can get infield hits and the CF is typically one of the fastest guys on the team because he has the most ground to cover.

Oh yeah, I get that, but it seems like with the Reds the CF is going to hit lead-off not matter what. I don't know if Heisey qualifies in the speed department but it doesn't make much difference if he never reaches base to begin with.

I know he's only filling in (hopefully) and it's a little early to start in on Dusty's 80's-MLB-anecdotes vs OBP way of putting together a line-up. I'm just getting warmed up for the season.

Oh yeah, I get that, but it seems like with the Reds the CF is going to hit lead-off not matter what. I don't know if Heisey qualifies in the speed department but it doesn't make much difference if he never reaches base to begin with.

I know he's only filling in (hopefully) and it's a little early to start in on Dusty's 80's-MLB-anecdotes vs OBP way of putting together a line-up. I'm just getting warmed up for the season.

The Reds don't have a whole lot of options to hit leadoff if Choo is not in there. Phillips is a much better hitter batting either third or fourth. Cozart is much better out of the two hole than in the leadoff spot so it basically leaves Heisey. He is not a prototypical leadoff hitter but Heisey is about the only other option they have.

The Reds don't have a whole lot of options to hit leadoff if Choo is not in there. Phillips is a much better hitter batting either third or fourth. Cozart is much better out of the two hole than in the leadoff spot so it basically leaves Heisey. He is not a prototypical leadoff hitter but Heisey is about the only other option they have.

Yeah OBP has been a problem for this team in general, it's certainly not limited to Heisey.

Archived