Star Wars 7

MichaelWeston

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351639762' post='1175750']
IMO more Star Wars is never a bad thing. The impression I've gotten from different places was that Lucas had grown tired of the franchise. I think the fresh blood will do it good.
[/quote]

I think you're right. Better they try and fail then not try at all. Nothing can ruin A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1351642323' post='1175762']
I think you're right. Better they try and fail then not try at all. Nothing can ruin A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.
[/quote]

true, and while many didn't like the prequels, a lot did (I find myself somewhere in the middle). The biggest issue with the prequels was that many people 35 and older had their own vision of what they'd be and their vision's didn't end up matching Lucas' vision. In some respects, the prequels were probably never going to live up to the hype no matter how good they ended up being. 16 years of waiting builds up a lot of expectations.

I remember watching one of the DVD extras for the original trilogy and Lucas already seemed to be tiring of the Star Wars brand before Empire was even finished. It had gotten more political behind the scenes than he ever wanted them to be. IMO that's part of why you saw him wait 16 years until he could do the prequels under his own terms. Obviously advancements in CGI also played into it.

I've just gotten the impression he's ready to move on from the Star Wars brand and the industry all together. He's already retired from directing and he certainly hasn't needed the money for a long time.

IMO more Star Wars is never a bad thing. The impression I've gotten from different places was that Lucas had grown tired of the franchise. I think the fresh blood will do it good.
[/quote]

He has also gotten tired of people telling them that he did a crappy job. He made the movies he wanted to and everyone complained. I get that they weren't great, but I'd get tired of hearing that shit too.

I hope they have a consistent vision for the 'new' ones and bring on a good director and writer.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' timestamp='1351646822' post='1175775']

He has also gotten tired of people telling them that he did a crappy job. He made the movies he wanted to and everyone complained. I get that they weren't great, but I'd get tired of hearing that shit too.

I hope they have a consistent vision for the 'new' ones and bring on a good director and writer.
[/quote]

I'd hope they do. They've already announced it will be a trilogy.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351649704' post='1175786']
Joss Whedon directing a Star Wars film = huge geek boner
[/quote]

Not out of the realm given his association with Marvel, which is also owned by Disney. I know he likes to mainly do movies where he creates the concept, but it would probably be hard for him to turn down a Star Wars movie.

[/quote]

I'm not sold that disney wouldnt screw it up, and simply putting them out isnt necessarily a good idea without a good story that makes sense in the overall arc and is in line with Lucas' vision.

It could be good, it could be bad as well.

I hope for the best but im not saying the best is automatic either.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351649999' post='1175789']

Not out of the realm given his association with Marvel, which is also owned by Disney. I know he likes to mainly do movies where he creates the concept, but it would probably be hard for him to turn down a Star Wars movie.
[/quote]

He sure as shit didn't create The Avengers, now did he? :)

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351650193' post='1175792']

He sure as shit didn't create The Avengers, now did he? :)
[/quote]

Ha, thats why I said mainly. :) He did write the script for The Avengers though.

He's said in the past that he likes to do shows and movies where he comes up with the concept and builds the whole thing. Stuff like Firefly and Cabin in the Woods. That's not to say he won't ever do a tent pole like Avengers 1 and 2 and the other stuff he's doing for Marvel.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1351680980' post='1175824']
I just hope it doesn't go John Carter.

I'm not sure where they can go with Vader redeemed/dead and the emperor dead.
[/quote]

grand Admiral Thrawn was a bad ass character in the novels mara jade as well

They could have Luke re opening the jedi Academy like they did in the novels

But there is 1 thing that could ruin it

Star Wars Episode 7 directed by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp as Han Solo

And this is Disney so thet are shitty enough to do something like that

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1351680980' post='1175824']
I just hope it doesn't go John Carter.

I'm not sure where they can go with Vader redeemed/dead and the emperor dead.
[/quote]

John Carter wasn't bad other than Taylor Kitsch lacking charisma for much of the movie. The script was fine, he just didn't do a lot to make you want to root for him.

Star Wars was a generation ahead of it's time. Add in the classic Good vs Evil with a David and Goliath style, and the charisma of Harrison Ford and you had a definite blockbuster.

I hope it's good, I just have serious doubts.

Marvel movies have been great under Disney, though I'm sure much of the credit for that goes to Marvel.

I love the National Treasure movies.

I also love the Pirates movies. My only complaints with them would be I wish the first two would have been a little more serious over comedy. Love the tone of the 3rd.

Disney gets a lot right, so I don't see any reason to think they wouldn't get this right. Besides, they have to deal with a fanbase that is already built in and vocal. It's not like they can freelance and do whatever they want because there's no fans out there with expectations.

Archived