Star Wars 7

MichaelWeston

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351686802' post='1175838']
oh I don't think Disney is incapable of making them good movies but I don't think they can do no wrong either

I mean they are putting out the Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp as Tonto
[/quote]

you don't think Depp can pull it off? You know he has the acting chops to do it, and if you're worried about him not being Native American, while he may not have much of it his Great Grandmother WAS Native American.

I don't see an issue with it. Who else were they going to get to play him? He's been taking the role very seriously to make sure he does Native American's proud in putting a respectable character on camera.

Things like that happen all the time. I was talking the other day about how Willem Dafoe has played an American, a German, a Frenchmen, and I beleive an Australian at different parts of his career. Even Depp has played an American, a Mexican, a Frenchmen, and I'm sure others.

As long as the performance is good and realistic, I don't see a big deal.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351687604' post='1175844']
you don't think Depp can pull it off? You know he has the acting chops to do it, and if you're worried about him not being Native American, while he may not have much of it his Great Grandmother WAS Native American.

I don't see an issue with it. [b]Who else were they going to get to play him?[/b]

Things like that happen all the time. I was talking the other day about how Willem Dafoe has played an American, a German, a Frenchmen, and I beleive an Australian at different parts of his career.

As long as the performance is good, I don't see a big deal.
[/quote]

Lou Diamond Phillips?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1351687676' post='1175845']
Lou Diamond Phillips?
[/quote]

yea I thought about him as I was typing it, but we both know a movie needs to have a certain amount of starpower. If Armie Hammer was a bigger name (or a bigger name was playing the Ranger) I think that would have been a decent choice.

Luckily, Depp has the starpower AND is a great actor.

Lou has enough to do the supporting role. I have to wonder if Depp won't "steal the show".

They will need to have a strong actor doing the Ranger if Depp is doing Tonto. I've never even heard of Armie Hammer. And his parents should be slapped if that is his real name.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1351688086' post='1175848']
Lou has enough to do the supporting role. [b] I have to wonder if Depp won't "steal the show".[/b]

They will need to have a strong actor doing the Ranger if Depp is doing Tonto.
[/quote]

yea. While I've never been much of a Lone Ranger fan, that would be my one concern about it, and it probably doesn't help that I beleive Depp has the above the title billing but Hammer doesn't.

I think it wouldn't be bad if Depp "steals the show", he almost always does. Rather, I'd say that hopefully they don't make the movie too much about him which is probably what you were getting at.

[img]http://cinemasalem.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Lone-Ranger-Movie-600.jpg[/img]

I gotta say this picture has me very worried that the movie is going to be hoakie. As a fan of the original series I'm concerned.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1351688430' post='1175854']
If I were doing a Lone Ranger movie as a serious project I'd target Liam Neeson as the Ranger and Lou as Tonto.
[/quote]

that wouldn't be bad, though has Neeson ever pulled an American accent convincingly? I dunno, but I know Family Guy has done a bit about it before.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351650445' post='1175796']
I dont know if they would follow any of the novels, but I wouldnt mind them mixing some of the Timothy Zahn and Kevin J Anderson trilogies.

Luke searching for new Jedi to train, and Grand Admril Thrawn

that be pretty sweet
[/quote]

sounds like you aren't going to get your wish. Source says the Zahn trilogy won't be involved.

[url="http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source"]http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source[/url]

I imagine maybe part of it is they don't want to have to try to re-cast iconic characters like Luke, Leia and Han. Those actors would be scruitinized and behind the 8 ball from the very get go.

a good point.

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][url="https://twitter.com/feliciaday"]Felicia Day[/url] @[/font][/color][url="https://twitter.com/feliciaday"][b]feliciaday[/b][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Every awesome creative person in Hollywood would love to work on something new Star Wars so this could be a great thing.[/font][/color]

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1351691436' post='1175863']
I have never seen a Star Wars. I tried watching it once at an ex girlfriend's house on Christmas eve at her family's house. About 5 minutes in I had all I could take, so I punched her uncles and cousins in the face and told her I wanted to break up. That was the last time I seen her.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ujxLRNm3D4&playnext=1&list=PL596D8AB59D9380C4&feature=results_video"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ujxLRNm3D4&playnext=1&list=PL596D8AB59D9380C4&feature=results_video[/url]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1351642323' post='1175762']
I think you're right. Better they try and fail then not try at all. Nothing can ruin A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.
[/quote]
Do or do not.There is no try.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1351691436' post='1175863']
I have never seen a Star Wars. I tried watching it once at an ex girlfriend's house on Christmas eve at her family's house. About 5 minutes in I had all I could take, so I punched her uncles and cousins in the face and told her I wanted to break up. That was the last time I seen her.
[/quote]

I think they are way overrated. They are so beloved because you see them when you are young and you don't mind the corniness as much. The new ones weren't that much inferior from the originals.

The background story is great, but the actual dialogue/action sequences are campy. Entertaining to be sure, but not the end-all-be-all.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1351688086' post='1175848']
Lou has enough to do the supporting role. I have to wonder if Depp won't "steal the show".

They will need to have a strong actor doing the Ranger if Depp is doing Tonto. I've never even heard of Armie Hammer. And his parents should be slapped if that is his real name.
[/quote]

Danny Trejo? :lol:

Archived