You gotta believe....Remembering last victory against the Broncos

2004....Seventh game of the season....Like this Sunday's game it was played at PBS....A Monday night game with the whole country watching. Bronco's came in 5-1 and already had a big win against their AFC West rival San Diego who would go 12-4 that year. Meanwhile the Bengals were only 1-4 and coming off a game where we were blown out 34-17 by a Browns team that would finish 4-12. No one gave us any chance at all.

However, thanks to a couple of big play TDs (Chad 50 yd catch, Rudi 36 yd run), and some some clutch defense (3 turnovers, 3 sacks) the Bengals never trailed and won easily 23-10.

The game ended up being a turning point for both teams. The Broncos ended the season 5-5 while the Bengals finished 7-4.

So history proves that there is no such thing as a certain defeat, and there is always hope for a turnaround.

Can I get a..........[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="7"][b]WHO-DEY!!![/b][/size][/font]

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1351705249' post='1175926']
0% chance of winning. This team stinks. And I'm usually very optimistic.
[/quote]

I think we have the right guys... just move Ray out of his spot... put M.Jones in - use gresh.... and it falls in place...... i wish it were that simple.. but...

I dislike the approach to games nowadays... "...this is a winnable game...", "...we are in a stretch of winnable games...", etc.

Every game is winnable and the people who make the best plays, playing balls to the wall, will win. Bottom line. We will win! That is the approach and perspective that seems lacking... "What will we do when we get to the grind of our schedule?" Play to win!

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1351707859' post='1175935']
Funny, but that is exactly what everyone was saying before the Broncos game back in '04 also.
[/quote]

I know.. I was there and remember it well.... We took another buddy who was a Broncos fan.. All we heard on the way down was him talking shit saying they would destroy the Bengals on national television... Great night.. let's hope Sunday is just like it...

[color=#ff8c00][size=8]WHO-DEY[/size][/color]

Don't understand why people say the Bengals have no chance to win. Probably the same folks who said Miami and Cleveland didn't stand a chance against us... Is it youth? Pride? Ignorance? Why do people make bold declarations they can't possibly 'know'?

Every week is a tough week. This is the next one.

When I watched the game, what I saw was Peyton beating the blitz, Brees playing like ass, Denver killing it in the running game, and New Orleans totally not getting pressure without bringing the house... Dalton needs to play better. The D-Line needs to bring pressure. Rey needs to attack the run. And I think we need to be really careful with blitzes.

IF we can stop the run, and limit red zone opportunities for Denver, I like our chances... We gotta stop the run, though.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1351709783' post='1175944']
[b]Don't understand why people say the Bengals have no chance to win. Probably the same folks who said Miami and Cleveland didn't stand a chance against us... Is it youth? Pride? Ignorance? Why do people make bold declarations they can't possibly 'know'?[/b]

Every week is a tough week. This is the next one.

When I watched the game, what I saw was Peyton beating the blitz, Brees playing like ass, Denver killing it in the running game, and New Orleans totally not getting pressure without bringing the house... Dalton needs to play better. The D-Line needs to bring pressure. Rey needs to attack the run. And I think we need to be really careful with blitzes.

IF we can stop the run, and limit red zone opportunities for Denver, I like our chances... We gotta stop the run, though.
[/quote]

not saying it about anyone in this thread, but some people do it just so they can say "I told you so" later.

That 2004 MNF Game was our first one in forever. I was there...the place was bananas. Had a great MNF intro (which they played in the stadium..only making it more nuts):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GewXGVvotbg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GewXGVvotbg[/url]

Never say never!

Remember the Monday night game very well. My buddy that I took to the game wanted to get in the stadium really early. We got right in as the gates opened and ended up getting to play toss with Deltha O'Neal. He was just walking around on the field and he tossed a ball up to me in the stands and we talked and played toss for a few minutes before he went back into the locker room.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351705631' post='1175929']

did you alert the team not to bother showing up?
[/quote]

I watched the Bronco vs Texan game in person. Manning was harassed all day. He doesn't have the receivers he had with the Colts. You get pressure on him, you will beat him. I know we 're not the Texans but we are better than the saints defense. It will take Zimmer putting constant pressure though.

I hope we win this, but it proves nothing to me as a Bengal fan, I want this team to beat the teams we should beat and play damn good ball and win a few against great teams. I just hate the ups and downs of this team, we just don't play with consistency . I just want them to play good all around every game.

I prefer the 2000 Denver game. Cory Dillon had the best game I have ever seen by a running back. We were 0-6 at the time and half the stadium was Bronco fans. It was one of those magical rare moments in sports.

I recall Akili had like 6 yards passing, or something like that? I was at that one too.

We were kidding the Mule TV fans who were in attendance. They all had either Elway or Davis jerseys on. Between the questioning of "do you live near Estes Park?" And "which one of you goes by John?"...we had a wonderful day.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1351733795' post='1176072']
I prefer the 2000 Denver game. Cory Dillon had the best game I have ever seen by a running back. We were 0-6 at the time and half the stadium was Bronco fans. It was one of those magical rare moments in sports.
[/quote]

Thank you for mentioning that...I was gonna say the same. I remember it pretty well. Cory Dillon had like 3 or 4 runs over 45 yards or something like that and I believe the game was right around Halloween, (if not Halloween day?). I remember Gatorade being dumped on Dillon and I loved it. So excited.

I kept trying to remember that game, and for some reason I kept thinking there was a special teams touchdown that game. There wasn't but Graham kicked three field goals.

The 2000 game is hard to forget. Dillon running all over the place. The Bengals flat out ran over the Broncos' defense and kept them on the field for huge part of the game. Denver was left trying to catch up using the passing game. Brian Griese through for 365 yards, 2TDs, and 1 Int. On the flip side, Akili Smith through for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 0 Ints. Of his 34 yards, 25 of them came on one play. The thing I remember the most about that game was how short is lasted. I think the game was over at around 3:30.

I think I have found my favorite new website. It gives you everything you need to know from new or old games. It even has the play by play from each game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200010220cin.htm

the only way to win is to copy what atlanta did, we have to disguise what we do really well, zim has to bring his best gameplan of the year cause we don't have the horses on the back end of the D to play standard ball against Peyton, i think their backend on their D is weak so also andy should be able to light them up if we can keep miller, wolfe, and dumerville off his ass

[quote name='bengalsfan850' timestamp='1351743967' post='1176124']
the only way to win is to copy what atlanta did, we have to disguise what we do really well, zim has to bring his best gameplan of the year cause we don't have the horses on the back end of the D to play standard ball against Peyton, i think their backend on their D is weak so also andy should be able to light them up if we can keep miller, wolfe, and dumerville off his ass
[/quote]

The best way to win, is keep Manning off the field, and make it so that he feels like he has to carry the Broncos on his shoulders.That means long sustaining drives full of 5 yard or long rush plays, and lots of screen and quick slants. If the Bengals can win the time of possession, win the turn over stats, and have a better day on special teams.

It's really a pretty simple equation.

Archived