How a Romney Loss Would Affect the GOP

Orange 'n Black

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1352200847' post='1178124']
I think they rally around Paul Ryan, they dude is evil, but he is slick as hell too and not someone to take lightly.
[/quote]

Ryan is one possibility and I am sure there are other up and comers out there that are not prominent yet. There's also the Bush family juggernaut, led by Jed now, that is a definite power behind the scenes, but whose name may be a bit tainted for a leading role, at least for the time being.

Im affraid that a Romney loss will cause the Republican party to dig their heels in and do everything in their power to keep this country in a shitty place for the next 4 years

Specifically, the looming Sequestration is scares me a little as a government employee.

However, I feel that if things improve over the next two years, the public will grow tired of their shtick and they'll be forced to evolve

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1352156870' post='1177933']
Here is how I view republicans

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/05/price-gouging-after-sandy_n_2076304.html?1352138289&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009"]http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009[/url]

A hurricane hits an area. How can I make a buck off of it? I guarantee you those people selling the gas are not democrats.
[/quote]

Its pretty shitty of those folks to be doing that kind of stuff...

But, Weston, let me ask you... this is happening in NJ and NY which lean heavily democrat / liberal... and the gas stations and convenience stores could be middle easterners as easily as they could be Americans anymore...

But you GUARANTEE they're not democrats? Ok.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352211561' post='1178150']
Its pretty shitty of those folks to be doing that kind of stuff...

But, Weston, let me ask you... this is happening in NJ and NY which lean heavily democrat / liberal... and the gas stations and convenience stores could be middle easterners as easily as they could be Americans anymore...

But you GUARANTEE they're not democrats? Ok.
[/quote]

Economic survival of the fittest is a tenent of the republican party. There are people saying this isn't shitty because it's simply supply and demand. Those people are programed.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1352212199' post='1178154']
for what its worth, the one person I saw on my facebook trying to sell gas for $10/gal has been a very vocal Republican

therefore, they're ALL evil
[/quote]

That right there about sums up pretty much the approach a lot on this board take... I thank you sir.

Anyone know more on Rocky Anderson with the Justice Party? He seems to be more along these lines but since he's not on the ballot in Ohio I didn't dig deep enough.

As far as the gas issue, if it's fair to say the people gouging are republicans is it fair to say the people looting are democrats? How about we just say they're all scum.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1352208581' post='1178136']
I'm not really familiar with Jeb's policies, but as I understand it he's way more moderate than his brother or most hard line Reps.
[/quote]

I've never been a fan of the Bush clan, but I think you are right. They've always been associated with the eastern establishment. Dubya's success, which was predicated on co-opting the newly rising fundie conservatives notwithstanding. I do think that there will be a lot of internal fighting within the Rep party in the near future. I'm not hopeful that there will be a significant shift back towards a more moderate (and actually more representative) conservative stance on positions. Just two examples of why I think that the party has been capturing by the extremists:

I still hold the opinion that the best candidate the Reps could have put forward was Jon Huntsman. But he wasn't radical enough. Second, consider the CT race mentioned in another thread. McMahon's opponent in the Rep primary was Chris Shays--another moderate Republican with actual experience and credentials from his time in the House of Reps. Still, the formerly establishment heavy Rep party in CT went for McMahon. The lesson here is that there is a nexus of big money manipulating a genuine grassroots upheaval within the Rep party to achieve its own ends. Hence, Romney this time.

Now I want to make a few comments about the Dem party. Because in many important ways, they are [b]worse off[/b] than the Rep party. Start with a question: Just when did the Dem party's real commitment to the working and middle classes become mostly lip-service? Folks on the left may argue different answers to this question, but my opinion is that is began in the aftermath of the 72 McGovern campaign. McGovern recently died and in many respects he was a good man. Those too young to remember him might find it useful to go read some of the recently published articles that came after his passing. The resounding defeat of McGovern in 72 created a situation much like the one hypothetically posed by Orange when he started this topic, i.e. what happens next?

Post 1972 the Dem coalition shifted away from its labor/small biz--including agriguclture/classically liberal roots towards a more socially oriented single issue coalition--a condition that has lasted until this day. In my opinion, this shift away from a coalition oriented around common economic interests towards one which cobbles together more diffuse social issues has been the cause of not only its weakened strength as a party (I'm referring to internal party mechanics here) but also has allowed the party as a whole to drift, proving what bengalrick said to be true--the Reps set the agenda, even when they are in the minority . Hence, Obama-as-Eisenhower or Hoover memes from leftists. A lot of the old-time economic Dems (who were in their own way more traditionally conservative) than the single issue folks don't feel at home in the party anymore.

I'd like to recommend this article as suggested reading for a very fine assessment of what ails the Dem party now, offered from the p.o.v. of one of those old-time economic-oriented Dems. It's very good. [url="http://www.correntewire.com/beyond_whether_obama_wins_or_loses"]Beyond Whether Obama Wins or Loses[/url]. Long as that article is, I'd also suggest reading the first comment, too.

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1352152220' post='1177903']
what would a "new republican party" look like exactly?(this is a geniune question, not a smart ass remark, etc)

From as far back as i can remember, everything the republicans stand for is religion, control, war, and serving the upper classes in general. I cant wrap my head around how any modern twist on that would change anyones opinion on the party as a whole. In fact, Thats the only voters i see, to put it ignorantly, rich, religious racists who wish to only help themselves. I cant invision a republican party that drops the religious strong arm on many topics that effect many peoples way of life and happiness, i also dont see a bunch of religious nutbags being too happy about a change there.

from my chair, the GOP plays ONLY to the extremists in the above mentioned categories..at this stage in the world it seems to ONLY play to those audiences..

that and the groups who were raised republican and are just republican because they were raised to be so.

i am in no way trying to turn this into another shit show argument. I am curious what changes other could invision in their current state of existence to swing more voters their way..

the world as i see it today:

1. more people ahve less money
2. FAR fAR less people even beleive in God at all
3. being gay is more open and accepted
4. and with all of the teen pregnancy and "loose morals" being conservative seems like its fading..mostly people pretend they are so they can pick and choose what to hate, "my 14 yr old is pregnant but fuck those gays getting married"... type thing

JMO eager to here input from all sides on what a potential change would be both for swaying new voters and what it could mean for losing old ones..
[/quote]

There may be fewer people who believe in God than there used to be, but there are still more people who do than those who do not.

The GOP believes in lower taxes for everyone, not just the rich.

The problem is that not enough people know what the GOP really stands for because all they hear is what the liberal media tells them the GOP believes.

The other problem is that too many GOP candidates have gone away from the fiscal conservative values.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1352227989' post='1178218']
There may be fewer people who believe in God than there used to be, but there are still more people who do than those who do not.

The problem is that not enough people know what the GOP really stands for because all they hear is what the[b] [color=#ff0000][u]liberal media[/u][/color][/b] tells them the GOP believes.

The other problem is that too many GOP candidates have gone away from the fiscal conservative values.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1352227989' post='1178218']

The problem is that not enough people know what the GOP really stands for because all they hear is what the[b] liberal media[/b] tells them the GOP believes.

[/quote]
[quote name='sois' timestamp='1352230574' post='1178233']
+1
[/quote]

You both need to take that phrase, and bury it deep within a vocabulary trunk in your mind next to "Red Scare" and "Duck and Cover" as that is about how relevant is today. Newsflash: Every single major news outlet is owned by or is in and of itself a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. Hell, just about every media outlet in the country (TV, Radio, Newspaper) is owned by a dozen or so entities. Take if from somebody that is on the left; that shit ain't liberal.

You want to see "Liberal"? Go to rall.com or moveon.org and read up for a few hours or days, but it sure as shit isn't mainstream.

What we see is milquetoast misdirection to keep the masses placated enough to not notice that we're getting fucked in the ass by both parties, who are also owned lock, stock, and barrel by some of the same corporate interests.

We're $16 trillion in debt, our infrastructure is crumbling, our electrical grid is lashed together with twine and bailing wire, our industrial base is getting shipped off to China, and what do we see on the front page of Yahoo, MSN, weekly periodicals?

Snookie.

Liberal my ass...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1352232098' post='1178244']
You both need to take that phrase, and bury it deep within a vocabulary trunk in your mind next to "Red Scare" and "Duck and Cover" as that is about how relevant is today. Newsflash: Every single major news outlet is owned by or is in and of itself a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. Hell, just about every media outlet in the country (TV, Radio, Newspaper) is owned by a dozen or so entities. Take if from somebody that is on the left; that shit ain't liberal.

You want to see "Liberal"? Go to rall.com or moveon.org and read up for a few hours or days, but it sure as shit isn't mainstream.

What we see is milquetoast misdirection to keep the masses placated enough to not notice that we're getting fucked in the ass by both parties, who are also owned lock, stock, and barrel by some of the same corporate interests.

We're $16 trillion in debt, our infrastructure is crumbling, our electrical grid is lashed together with twine and bailing wire, our industrial base is getting shipped off to China, and what do we see on the front page of Yahoo, MSN, weekly periodicals?

Snookie.

Liberal my ass...
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1352215336' post='1178169']
I've never been a fan of the Bush clan, but I think you are right. They've always been associated with the eastern establishment. Dubya's success, which was predicated on co-opting the newly rising fundie conservatives notwithstanding. I do think that there will be a lot of internal fighting within the Rep party in the near future. I'm not hopeful that there will be a significant shift back towards a more moderate (and actually more representative) conservative stance on positions. Just two examples of why I think that the party has been capturing by the extremists:

I still hold the opinion that the best candidate the Reps could have put forward was Jon Huntsman. But he wasn't radical enough. Second, consider the CT race mentioned in another thread. McMahon's opponent in the Rep primary was Chris Shays--another moderate Republican with actual experience and credentials from his time in the House of Reps. Still, the formerly establishment heavy Rep party in CT went for McMahon. The lesson here is that there is a nexus of big money manipulating a genuine grassroots upheaval within the Rep party to achieve its own ends. Hence, Romney this time.

Now I want to make a few comments about the Dem party. Because in many important ways, they are [b]worse off[/b] than the Rep party. Start with a question: Just when did the Dem party's real commitment to the working and middle classes become mostly lip-service? Folks on the left may argue different answers to this question, but my opinion is that is began in the aftermath of the 72 McGovern campaign. McGovern recently died and in many respects he was a good man. Those too young to remember him might find it useful to go read some of the recently published articles that came after his passing. The resounding defeat of McGovern in 72 created a situation much like the one hypothetically posed by Orange when he started this topic, i.e. what happens next?

Post 1972 the Dem coalition shifted away from its labor/small biz--including agriguclture/classically liberal roots towards a more socially oriented single issue coalition--a condition that has lasted until this day. In my opinion, this shift away from a coalition oriented around common economic interests towards one which cobbles together more diffuse social issues has been the cause of not only its weakened strength as a party (I'm referring to internal party mechanics here) but also has allowed the party as a whole to drift, proving what bengalrick said to be true--the Reps set the agenda, even when they are in the minority . Hence, Obama-as-Eisenhower or Hoover memes from leftists. A lot of the old-time economic Dems (who were in their own way more traditionally conservative) than the single issue folks don't feel at home in the party anymore.

I'd like to recommend this article as suggested reading for a very fine assessment of what ails the Dem party now, offered from the p.o.v. of one of those old-time economic-oriented Dems. It's very good. [url="http://www.correntewire.com/beyond_whether_obama_wins_or_loses"]Beyond Whether Obama Wins or Loses[/url]. Long as that article is, I'd also suggest reading the first comment, too.
[/quote]

I wish some liberals would stop being so hostile to people of faith and embrace the MLK traditions, I think it could bring in socially conservative but fiscally liberal people to the party.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1352249343' post='1178337']
I wish some liberals would stop being so hostile to people of faith and embrace the MLK traditions, I think it could bring in socially conservative but fiscally liberal people to the party.
[/quote]

I can imagine Bill Maher saying, "I wish some people of faith would stop murdering abortion doctors." I assume it's liberals like Bill that you're talking about.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1352232399' post='1178246']
I would do Snooky
[/quote]

Do that and your dick might fall off.

A lot of the talking heads made point to mention that they believed the Republicans would go back the board room and come out more conservative than ever. They are going to take time to lick their wounds, but instead walk a tight rope that makes people to believe they are working with Obama in order not to lose seats in Congress, but yet not let Obama be successful enough to give the Democratic party a hole to slide the next candidate in. Republicans understand it would be a counterproductive result if they were able to get a candidate into the White House running on a ticket of change in leadership will bring prosperity, while at the same time losing control of congress. It will be very interesting to see how long it takes to get a same-party situation across the board in Washington. When is the last time this happened? Was it under Clinton?

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1352362147' post='1178606']

I can imagine Bill Maher saying, "I wish some people of faith would stop murdering abortion doctors." I assume it's liberals like Bill that you're talking about.

Do that and your dick might fall off.
[/quote]

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I was watching CNN yesterday and of all people Van Jones was saying something similar

I think the Republican party should just stop pretending like they are civil people, put their hoods o,n and light up those crosses they put in Obama's front yard. They are closer to the KKK than anything else, they are the party of the old angry white man, who is angry for no damn reason other than he is a miserable old fart whose heart is full of hate.

After listening to Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limpdick yesterday it clear these guys have no intentions of embracing the changes that are occuring in this country, they are stuck in the 80's. They continue to use language that is offensive to anyone who is not a white man but see nothing wrong with that. Refering to Latinos as illegals and saying all black people want a hand out from Obama won't get any Republican in the White House anytime soon.

If the Republican Party is serious about changing and staying relevant they need to get rid of the talking heads that spew nothing but hate and lies, that would be a good start. Decent minded people with a brain are turned off by these guys and they are keeping the GOP from joining the 21st Century.

Archived