Who are you voting for tomorrow  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for tomorrow

• Obama
    • Romney
    • Other
    • Not Voting

This poll is closed to new votes

Im not a huge politics guy by any means, but isnt the popular vote a little skewed due to the system of the electoral college? I mean someone in Cali or NY or Texas could very easily decide not to vote as they know their state is going to go a certain way. So how many thousands or hundreds of thousands of people (and which percentage are democrats which are republican) dont vote because they know their vote doesnt matter since they arent in a swing state?

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1352263687' post='1178382']
Im not a huge politics guy by any means, but isnt the popular vote a little skewed due to the system of the electoral college? I mean someone in Cali or NY or Texas could very easily decide not to vote as they know their state is going to go a certain way. So how many thousands or hundreds of thousands of people (and which percentage are democrats which are republican) dont vote because they know their vote doesnt matter since they arent in a swing state?
[/quote]

That's a point I was also making. It rarely happens. General all the representatives in the state vote the same way as the other electoral college voters. So even if the area of a state votes in favor of a certain candidate, if the state as a whole votes differently, so will the representative of that particular area. So honestly it's kind of a waste of time to have the individuals.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1352263687' post='1178382']
[/quote]

I think this is one problem with the electoral college. There are states that go the same way every election so people feel like their vote does not count and don't vote. If it was based more on a popular vote, I think more people would show up and vote because they would feel like their vote actually counts.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1352264074' post='1178384']
I think this is one problem with the electoral college. There are states that go the same way every election so people feel like their vote does not count and don't vote. If it was based more on a popular vote, I think more people would show up and vote because they would feel like their vote actually counts.
[/quote]

Yeah...or at least have the electoral college based on a percentage of the way the actual vote goes. IE in California there are 55 electoral votes. If Obama has 10M votes in Cali and Romney has 5M, Obama should get 37 electoral votes and Romney should get 18.

That would change everything, but would make more sense at least to me and wouldnt have to get rid of the whole electoral college. It would definitely take longer to count though.

Well all that celebration has ended as now the talking heads congratulate Obama, and quickly go into...The house is even stronger Republican, Obama won't be able to get anything through, and Obama will be able to do nothing but get on television and make pleas to citizens to try and get their representative to back his ideas. Nothing will get done, and Obama's second term will be a waste of time.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352264390' post='1178387']
Well all that celebration has ended as now the talking heads congratulate Obama, and quickly go into...The house is even stronger Republican, Obama won't be able to get anything through, and Obama will be able to do nothing but get on television and make pleas to citizens to try and get their representative to back his ideas. Nothing will get done, and Obama's second term will be a waste of time.
[/quote]

Disagree. I think most people realize how fed up people are with the gridlock, if they dont start working together now the Dems will have a very real chance to take back the house in 2 years.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1352264547' post='1178388']
Disagree. I think most people realize how fed up people are with the gridlock, if they dont start working together now the Dems will have a very real chance to take back the house in 2 years.
[/quote]

You are probably right, but then a Republican could win the Presidency, and things will be in the same boat, just reversed. Fox News just showed Romney ahead by like 3,000 votes in Ohio. Watching guys argue about Ohio votes left to be sent in is hilarious. They should make this more interesting and have John Madden and that guy that does stocks come and announce this. It would be so much more interesting.

If it is indeed over, Obama will be unable to get anything done, and a Republican candidate will win the next election. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate tonight, even if you believe in Obama. The political makeup in Washington is not one that will get any significant things done. Like I pointed out earlier today, chances are that the Supreme Court will be once again asked to look at Obamacare before it becomes enacted. The people have spoken, and what they have said is that they want Republicans to represent them, but a Democrat in the White House. What does that mean?

[quote name='Lewdog'] The people have spoken, and what they have said is that they want Republicans to represent them, but a Democrat in the White House. What does that mean?
[/quote]

That means you don't know how to count

as an Ohioan I'm embarrassed for my states part in this election, it's apparent the welfare and entitlement crowd in Hamilton and Cuyahoga County out number the working class in the state. Here's to 4 more years of a dead economy and tax increases,yea

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1352266015' post='1178393']
That means you don't know how to count
[/quote]

How did I make a mistake? There were some big name Republicans that went down like Brown and Akin (more well known because of bad reasons), but Congress is just as strong Republican now than it was before.

[quote name='cnbengal' timestamp='1352266091' post='1178394']
as an Ohioan I'm embarrassed for my states part in this election, it's apparent the welfare and entitlement crowd in Hamilton and Cuyahoga County out number the working class in the state. Here's to 4 more years of a dead economy and tax increases,yea
[/quote]

Why does Ohio have so many large cities filled with Democrats? Isn't that odd in itself?

Romney is still winning the overall popular vote.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352266253' post='1178397']
Why does Ohio have so many large cities filled with Democrats? Isn't that odd in itself?

[/quote]

Its like that in every state for the most part. Republicans win the rule areas and the Democrats win the large cities.

[quote name='cnbengal' timestamp='1352266091' post='1178394']
[/quote]

The economy is improving and your taxes are not going up. And your'e insulting.

So do I have to go somewhere to pick up my Koran or do they send it to me?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352266253' post='1178397']

[/quote]

welfare, foodstamps, and the general lack of will to be a useful member of society, Cincinnati and Cleveland both are filled with massive amounts of people on the government tit and they consistently vote Democrat.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1352266609' post='1178402']
The economy is improving and your taxes are not going up. And your'e insulting.

So do I have to go somewhere to pick up my Koran or do they send it to me?
[/quote]

The economy has just started to go up, it's yet to prove that it will sustain it's growth. There will probably be a spike tomorrow in the economy as all the the Obama lovers go out and buy t-shirts and hats, but as soon as that buzz dies down, they will realize tomorrow will be the same as yesterday. A 4 years of Presidency came out as a push, and we are looking at 4 more stale years ahead of us. If the nation wanted something to change, they should have voted Democratic down the line, and not just at President. This is a nation divided. Obama's negative attack campaign only hurt the Democratic candidate in the future as well. So explain to me why the nation will be better this 4 years than the last four. The television actually said the Democrats were hoping to win more seats, yet after the election they lost more seats in Congress.

[quote name='cnbengal' timestamp='1352266780' post='1178403']
welfare, foodstamps, and the general lack of will to be a useful member of society, Cincinnati and Cleveland both are filled with massive amounts of people on the government tit and they consistently vote Democrat.
[/quote]

See in Kentucky it's the opposite. The people that live in the rural areas are the ones not working, because of laziness and because of lack of jobs. Very few people move to where the work is, because they don't want to leave their family. So it begins a cycle where kids leave their parents house at 18, move into a trailer in the back yard and sign up for their own benefits.

Archived