New vSphere Environment

Elflocko

I know there are maybe a half dozen people here who will actually understand this but I'm going to post it anyway.

My latest project at work is to upgrade their woefully out of date ESX environment which is currently at 3.5 Update 2(!). Oh, and as an extra added bonus, some of their mission critical VM's are running VMware tools for GSX. If you know what that means you're doing this --> :doh: right now.

Whomever put this shitstorm in place originally really didn't understand the technology and bought a ton of HP GL 360's instead of 380's and packing in the RAM. Never mind that.

To replace the 33 existing ESX hosts, I went with 18 (3 for each location) HP GL385 G7's sporting dual 16-core AMD Opteron 6282 SE's and 192 GB of memory. (Of course after getting these purchased VMware drops the vRAM licensing component; had I known that I would have maxed these bitches out at 384 GB each. Cunts... :glare: ).

So, that means in just one location I have the following specs:

CPU Resources: 249 GHz
Total Memory: 576 GB
Total Storage (local): 16 TB
SAN Storage: 50 TB

Once I have the whole cluster configured and the SANs talking to one another (thank Ganesh I know someone with a CCIE because routing that is a whore) I will have:

CPU Resources: 1.49 THz <---- Yes, that's [b]Terahertz[/b]
Total Memory: [b]3.45 TB[/b]
Total Local Storage: [b]96 TB[/b]
SAN Storage: Around [b]600TB[/b]

I think I'm going to build a bot-net and hack NORAD... :ninja:

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1352312452' post='1178502']
i think we found juSt the place to host go-bengals.com..................
[/quote]

yessir...

Elf would have you on redundant virtual servers and could spin up additional within about 30 seconds!!! Love me some VM...

Archived