Marijuana Laws

Lewdog

With the passing of Colorado's and Washington States' new marijuana laws, how does this bolster the push for the federal government to start thinking about national laws? Massachusetts' passed their own medical marijuana law yesterday, with some states yet to be determined.

If I read it correctly, people in Colorado and Washington, can go out to a dispensary and buy it even though they don't have a doctor's approval. What that doesn't change though, is jobs that require a clean urine test. So what if an individual gets a doctor's approval, can someone that works at a company with drug screening still get a job if they have a note from the doctor?

I have only used it once in college and I was so drunk I never really felt it. In fact I puked my guys out for 2 days. If I ever used it, I would get on of those humidifiers that can be used for breathing treatments. It's definitely something to think about, I hear it helps a lot for pain.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1352288407' post='1178434']
Not that I smoke it but we were told in our security briefing that you can lose your clearance if you smoke it even in a country that its legal, which means even in a state now...
[/quote]

Aren't you a federal employee?

being a resident in colorado i have asked all of these questions.

doctors are not able to prescribe marijuana, so the doctor note for work doesnt fly, its still federally illegal so you still wont get hire and can get fired for it.

once you are hired, they cannot single a person out for drug testing where i work, they must test the whole store, anyone who fails is fired. so if someone turns in an employee for drug use or smelling like weed, if the boss takes it to HR, the whole store gets blind tested within 72 hours,,, so once youre hired, you are PRETTY safe.. but we test everyone before we hire them

this will in NO WAY make the feds even start to think about thinking about changing their laws.. until 30+ states are completely legal, i doubt the feds budge on their stance what so ever..

but starting sometime next year (deadline is july 1st 2013) it will be open to the public, 21+, its regulated exactly like alcohol.

can you imagine the reduction in asstests, court cases, jails, and prisons? not to mention the hundred million+ going directly to the colorado schools ANNUALLY!

good luck passing those school levys ohio. johnny smokes a lot is paying for all of my schools.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1352308088' post='1178483']
Contractor
[/quote]

Federal contractor though? I'm just saying that a Federal agency would be forced to follow federal laws.. According to federal law Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug.

Saw a bunch of tweets this morning...

The University of Colorado is seeing an influx of 5 star football recruits commit! Thought it was funny - if you wanted to get it legalized quickly... get one state that has an SEC college present and legalizes it. That SEC coach would use it as a recruiting tool in a heartbeat... once that started you'd have every other SEC conference state legalizing within 2 years, tops. Guaranteed!

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352316424' post='1178515']
Saw a bunch of tweets this morning...

The University of Colorado is seeing an influx of 5 star football recruits commit! Thought it was funny - if you wanted to get it legalized quickly... get one state that has an SEC college present and legalizes it. That SEC coach would use it as a recruiting tool in a heartbeat... once that started you'd have every other SEC conference state legalizing within 2 years, tops. Guaranteed!
[/quote]

thats funny, and also pretty true...

i would imagine the NCAA would still have you failing a drug test however...

So the way this sounds, the only people this is going to benefit is people that work in the private sector for bosses that aren't part of a nationwide chain that has drug tesing in some part of their employee hand book, i.e. OSHA mandated drug testing after an accident. This would also grandmas and grandpas who no longer work, people on welfare, or people on disability. Seems like it was a waste of time to change the law to me, other than the taxes that will be collected from it.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352328332' post='1178551']
So the way this sounds, the only people this is going to benefit is people that work in the private sector for bosses that aren't part of a nationwide chain that has drug tesing in some part of their employee hand book, i.e. OSHA mandated drug testing after an accident. This would also grandmas and grandpas who no longer work, people on welfare, or people on disability. Seems like it was a waste of time to change the law to me, other than the taxes that will be collected from it.
[/quote]

changing the process from having to go to a doctor, get them to sign the slip approving you for a license, mailing in the license with a $90 fee, which needs to be renewed annually, then having to go into the dispensary show the license, approve you to shop, shop, get a bag with your medical ID on it, to get it... OR

show up with an ID and buy whatever the fuck you want up to an OUNCE..

yea how silly... the taxes were always being collected. and it basically eliminates ALL illegal marijuana dales in the state, since ANYONE 21+ can just buy it, it turns into the same policing power that is used for alcohol vs what is used for illegal drug trafficing currently, the dozens of MILLIONS of dollars spent by the police, the MILLIONS spent in the judicial system, the MILLIONS used in jailing and prisons....

so, no top of "just the taxes being collected" the savings of policing it all in all is well over the hundred million mark. so THEN, you can re-dedicate those police hours and manpower to other criminal activity..

the trickle down from this goes in every direction and is nothing but a huge cost saver and a huge money maker for the whole state, with a change of MAYBE 1-5% in smokers who use marijuana regularly...

do you have any idea what kind of effect hundreds of millions of dollars makes on a states budget..??

out of this, you managed to look at only how it may effect work drug tests???????????

ffs

No, what I got out of it is that many people believe this is going to open up marijuana usage to oodles of new people that want to use it recreationally, when in fact it won't. The Federal government, OSHA, and the nationwide companies aren't going to change their policies and procedures to allow it's employees to be allowed to use marijuana. You, yourself said you would still be put at risk if you were to use it. All it takes is one person at your store to not like you and mention that they think you are smoking it. Then you go from a nice job to the unemployment line. A lot of states including Kentucky are talking about passing a law that people who receive any type of state aid, must pass drug tests. So that law make marijuana easier for some people to get, I get that. You said that it was already taxed before so that didn't really matter. I'm making the point that even though people can more easily get it, several of those people would be putting their livelihood at risk, because they can't have drugs in their system for their job. Where is there something wrong in what I said? At first you said the tax dollars were already being collected:

[quote]yea how silly... the taxes were always being collected.[/quote]

Then you mentioned how this would let so many people out of jail and the money that would be saved. Well any of those people that were driving while under the influence won't be. Another thing to take into account, is the number of people that end losing their job because they can't pass up the idea of walking to into a store and buying it, and then end about caught by there boss. Unemployment rates will rise. Before you say this isn't a factor, think of how many stupid people there are out there. I wouldn't be surprised if every business in Colorado sends it's employees for a drug test the day after this law goes into effect.

So basically the benefit comes out of this law, that it is easier for people over 21 to buy marijuana.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1352332240' post='1178559']
I'm moving to Colorado ...

Or at least planning a long visit.
[/quote]

You better kiester that stuff so that on your way home crossing the Colorado border you don't get arrested. Who would start the game day threads?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352330822' post='1178555']
No, what I got out of it is that many people believe this is going to open up marijuana usage to oodles of new people that want to use it recreationally, when in fact it won't. The Federal government, OSHA, and the nationwide companies aren't going to change their policies and procedures to allow it's employees to be allowed to use marijuana. You, yourself said you would still be put at risk if you were to use it. All it takes is one person at your store to not like you and mention that they think you are smoking it. Then you go from a nice job to the unemployment line. A lot of states including Kentucky are talking about passing a law that people who receive any type of state aid, must pass drug tests. So that law make marijuana easier for some people to get, I get that. You said that it was already taxed before so that didn't really matter. I'm making the point that even though people can more easily get it, several of those people would be putting their livelihood at risk, because they can't have drugs in their system for their job. Where is there something wrong in what I said? At first you said the tax dollars were already being collected:

Then you mentioned how this would let so many people out of jail and the money that would be saved. Well any of those people that were driving while under the influence won't be. Another thing to take into account, is the number of people that end losing their job because they can't pass up the idea of walking to into a store and buying it, and then end about caught by there boss. Unemployment rates will rise. Before you say this isn't a factor, think of how many stupid people there are out there. I wouldn't be surprised if every business in Colorado sends it's employees for a drug test the day after this law goes into effect.

So basically the benefit comes out of this law, that it is easier for people over 21 to buy marijuana.
[/quote]

driving while high is pretty hard to prove, there is no breathilizer for it, and smelling it on you isnt illegal, so you would ahve to fail a field sobrieter test, so i would assume posession and distribution is your biggest criminal activity as for what i am talking about. currently in the US, marijuana law enforcement costs over $10 BILLION, and leads to 750,000 arrests... while im sure some stats are more than others, colorado is pretty average in size and population, lets average that out. 15,000 few arrests per year, and $200,000,000 less spent policing it. per year..

that is about as big of a culture and economic change as anyone could EVER see in a single state in a given year...

$200mil savings= $100+mil revenue = $300+mil

per year.. how many 40k job is that? like 7500? obviously its not going straight to creating jobs, just a point of the economic impact alone. then the gas, clothes, cars, etc bought from 7500 people with new jobs, etc... the impact is pretty huge..

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1352332240' post='1178559']
I'm moving to Colorado ...

Or at least planning a long visit.
[/quote]

i am curious if you will have to have a colorado drivers license as proper ID, you had to be a colorado resident previously(currently) so i assume something similar will be in place.. as to avoid huge dispenceries going up in every border town of colorado and washington... like fireworks...

either way, i have an ID, so if you swing by, we can go shoppin..

[img]http://news.humcounty.com/images/pile_of_marijuana.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352330822' post='1178555']

[/quote]

People can't have alcohol in their system at work either... not unless you work for Sterling Cooper anyway.

Go is right, there will be a positive economic impact. Since Ohio is blue now, maybe it'll happen here too.

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1352399289' post='1178657']
driving while high is pretty hard to prove, there is no breathilizer for it, and smelling it on you isnt illegal, so you would ahve to fail a field sobrieter test, so i would assume posession and distribution is your biggest criminal activity as for what i am talking about. currently in the US, marijuana law enforcement costs over $10 BILLION, and leads to 750,000 arrests... while im sure some stats are more than others, colorado is pretty average in size and population, lets average that out. 15,000 few arrests per year, and $200,000,000 less spent policing it. per year..

that is about as big of a culture and economic change as anyone could EVER see in a single state in a given year...

$200mil savings= $100+mil revenue = $300+mil

per year.. how many 40k job is that? like 7500? obviously its not going straight to creating jobs, just a point of the economic impact alone. then the gas, clothes, cars, etc bought from 7500 people with new jobs, etc... the impact is pretty huge..
[/quote]

I see it in Kentucky ALL the time where people are arrested for DUI of a drug other than alcohol. I'm not kidding, ALL the time. Why? because it does come down to a field sobriety test and the judgement of the arresting officer. Once the officer takes the person to jail they offer them a choice of being taken to the hospital at their [b]own expense[/b] and having a blood draw taken and tested to see if indeed their system is clean. So unless you have the money to pay for the blood test that night, you are getting booked into jail, and sitting there until the pre-trial officer comes and sets bail. If you are unable to make bail you have to wait until your court date, while all the while sitting on your happy ass in jail. Now if they just get you for public intoxication, they take you to jail for a few hours then let you go, of course you still got fines and fees to pay.

On one of your other points, if someone is locked up for selling marijuana why would they be let out of jail? They didn't have a permit or license to sell it. Joe Blow can't drive down the street selling beer and liquor out of his car can he? Why would it be any different than marijuana? I guarantee you the unemployment rate in Colorado will go up the first year after the law goes into effect.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1352401072' post='1178675']
... not unless you work for Sterling Cooper anyway.

[/quote]

HA! best show ever...

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352412213' post='1178733']
I see it in Kentucky ALL the time where people are arrested for DUI of a drug other than alcohol. I'm not kidding, ALL the time. Why? because it does come down to a field sobriety test and the judgement of the arresting officer. Once the officer takes the person to jail they offer them a choice of being taken to the hospital at their [b]own expense[/b] and having a blood draw taken and tested to see if indeed their system is clean. So unless you have the money to pay for the blood test that night, you are getting booked into jail, and sitting there until the pre-trial officer comes and sets bail. If you are unable to make bail you have to wait until your court date, while all the while sitting on your happy ass in jail. Now if they just get you for public intoxication, they take you to jail for a few hours then let you go, of course you still got fines and fees to pay.

On one of your other points, if someone is locked up for selling marijuana why would they be let out of jail? They didn't have a permit or license to sell it. Joe Blow can't drive down the street selling beer and liquor out of his car can he? Why would it be any different than marijuana? I guarantee you the unemployment rate in Colorado will go up the first year after the law goes into effect.
[/quote]

id prefer we not use kentucky for an example of anything to do with the real world, kentucky still has dry counties.. kentucky doesnt matter.. backwords hillbilly power trip BS has no effect on the rest of us..

good day sir.............i SAID GOOD DAY!

seriously.. dry counties.... thats a real thing there... hahahahahahaha wtf

I know Ohio still has dry areas...Caesar's Creek Lake and the surrounding area used to be dry?

The whole point I was making is driving while under the influence of marijuana actually puts you at a disadvantage of driving after a few beers. If you only had a few beers you get to blow the breathalyzer than on the spot and prove whether you are innocent or guilty, marijuana you are left at the mercy of the officer that pulled you over or smelt the stuff in your car. Your car isn't part of your home, therefore like alcohol you can't smoke it while driving. So it gives them probable cause to search your car and give you a field sobriety test. You can say you finished smoking it at home and it is just on your clothes, but the officer isn't going to listen.

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1352415630' post='1178762']
those all count as kentucky in my book....
[/quote]
[list]
[*]
[quote][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado"]Colorado[/url] specifically allows cities and counties to exercise a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_option"]local option[/url] by public referendum whether to go dry.[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state#cite_note-5"][5][/url][/sup][/quote]
[/list]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state[/url]

There are actually quite a few dry places in Ohio. Personally I like to go out to eat to places that serve beer. Colorado has to be moving to the top of my list so far. Arizona, Nevada, and Florida are still in the running.

Archived